Surprise.

Flawless

 

The weekend went by in a flash, and Hae Jung was fine with it because it was summer break. Monday had come around, and she was sitting at home watching over her little sister, Min Jung.

“Hae Jung, you know I had the weirdest dream last night,” Min Jung announced. She was standing around in front of the TV as Hae Jung lied down on the couch.

“Really?” Hae Jung was still sleepy, and she didn’t even have her glasses with her. Their older sister, Hyo Jung, went out for work a few minutes ago, and forced Hae Jung to stay in the living room with Min Jung.

“Yeah, do you want to know what it was about?” Min Jung was an eight-year-old chatterbox, but Hae Jung couldn’t really do anything about it. Min Jung also never called Hae Jung or Hyo Jung “unni” like she was supposed to while Hae Jung could never call Hyo Jung by her real name and only called her “unni.”

“Sure.” So, Min Jung told Hae Jung what happened in her dream. “…and then, Mom and Dad-”

Ring! Ring! Ring!

“Hold on, Min Jung,” the older sister muttered. She sat up and reached for the phone on the table nearby. She read the caller ID: “Kim Jong In.” Her eyebrows knit together. She wondered if she should pick up or not, but in the end, she did. “Hello?”

“Good morning, Hae Jung,” Kai greeted.

Hae Jung groaned. “Why are you calling so early?”

Kai laughed, “Hae Jung, it’s past 12 o’clock…oh, I’m sorry! Did I wake you up?”

“No, it’s fine. I woke up a while ago.” Hae Jung lied back down on the couch. Min Jung’s attention was back on the TV. “So, uh, what is it?”

Kai was at home as well. His sisters had gone out for work, and he was home alone. But it was alright with him because he was planning to go out. Today was the day he had planned for Hae Jung, but it was all a surprise to her. “Are you free today?”

“I guess so. Well, I have to watch my little sister until my parents come back home, but I’m free after that, I guess.” Hae Jung turned her head to see Min Jung hopping up and down in place while watching TV.

“Can I come over then?”

Hae Jung’s eyes widened. “Um, s-sure.” I wonder if he wanted to go out. “Hold on, Kai. Did you want to go out or something?”

Kai did want to go out with her, but if it made things easier, he would come over to her place instead. But since she asked, he replied, “Um, yeah, but it’s fine.”

Hae Jung sat back up with quiet grunt. “That’s fine. We can go out. I’ll just bring my little sister over to her friend’s place,” she spoke.

“O-oh, is that alright?”

Hae Jung answered, “Yeah. Let me just call my parents?”

“Mmkay," Kai sounded. They both hung up.

Hae Jung called her parents to tell them about Kai and her little sister. They didn’t know who Kai was, but they were alright with it. Hae Jung promised to bring him back home for them to meet. Hae Jung also promised that she would drop Min Jung off at her friend’s place which was conveniently located two floors down.

Hae Jung picked up the phone and made her way to her room. She dialed Kai’s cellphone number nervously. “Hello?”

“Yeah, so, where are we going?” Hae Jung asked as she paced back and forth in her room. Min Jung was still watching TV, eating a grilled cheese sandwich she sloppily put together herself.

Kai bit his lip. “Well, it’s kind of a surprise.”

Hae Jung’s right eyebrow rose. “Really? A surprise?”

It was silent for a moment on the other line, but Kai spoke eventually. “Well, I decided that I’d spend a whole day with you. Just for you. So, um, this is my birthday gift.”

Hae Jung’s eyes widened. “Oh…Kai, you don’t have to-”

“No, it’s fine. I’ll meet you outside your apartment in, like, half an hour.”

“But, Kai-”

“No buts, Miss Do!” Kai scolded. “Just let me do this for you!”

Hae Jung was hesitant to agree. She sighed, defeated. “Fine. Half an hour, right?”

“Yes,” Kai replied with a stern voice. “I guess I'll just seen you then.” He chuckled.

Hae Jung rolled her eyes and shook her head. Even though she looked as if she was against it, her smile gave it all away. “Yup.”

“Wait, Hae Jung.”

“What is it?”

“Did you have lunch yet?”

“No, not yet. Well, I don’t know if it counts as breakfast-”

“Good. Don’t eat yet, okay?”

Hae Jung was about to protest. She needed to eat, but since she guessed that this was Kai's treat, she huffed, “Fine. Do I have to bring any money at all?”

“No! Don’t bring any money!”

Hae Jung felt really bad, but for once, she liked the attention.

When they hung up, Hae Jung let out a sound similar to a squeal. She grabbed her glasses off of her bedside table and went back to the living room. “Min Jung, go get changed.”

“Why?” Min Jung questioned. She stopped jumping up and down with the sandwich in .

“I’m going out, and you’re going to Ki Ra’s house, okay? Can you go call her right now, please?”

Min Jung tried to hide the smile on her face, but Hae Jung had seen it already. Min Jung took the phone from Hae Jung and called her friend, Ki Ra, and explained why she had to go there. Hae Jung already went back to her room and was trying to look for some clothes to wear.

“Ugh, I hate going out because of this!” she muttered while she pulled clothes out of her closet. “What am I supposed to wear?” She shook her head as she continued her search for an outfit.

It took Hae Jung the whole thirty minutes to get dressed and whatever else she needed to do to get ready. Her stomach was grumbling the entire time as well. Hae Jung and Min Jung were finished, and they left the house. They also brought their dog, Udong, with them for Min Jung to bring to Ki Ra’s place, so she wouldn’t be alone at home. She looked down at her watch that read 1:06. She was about 10 minutes late to meet Kai in the front.

“Sorry,” Hae Jung apologized once she opened the front door. Kai held it open for her.

“It’s okay,” he smiled reassuringly. “You’re here now, so let’s go.”

Kai put his arm around Hae Jung courageously and guided the two of them to a restaurant. Hae Jung was quiet, and Kai was quite content with that. It was a nice day. It wasn’t horribly hot nor was it cold for a summer day. Kai liked what Hae Jung was wearing, black shorts and a red, gray, and blue shirt. Kai always found her even cuter when she wore casual clothes. And just like that day with Ha Young, her hair was in a bun. It suits her, he thought.

“You know what?”

“What?” Kai squeezed Hae Jung’s shoulder gently.

“I don’t really like skinship.”

“Oh, re-”

“With girls. Even though it might sound a bit erted, I prefer skinship with guys.” Hae Jung was walking straight ahead with Kai’s arm still around her. Kai ruffled his hair with his free hand and let out a laugh.

“That sounds just a bit erted.”

They continued to walk to the restaurant Kai wanted to bring Hae Jung to. Hae Jung asked if they had to take any buses, but Kai just shook his head. He hoped that Hae Jung was alright with being in the sun a little bit longer.

“We’re here!” Kai exclaimed. Hae Jung looked up at the sign overhead. Destiny Café. She smiled.

Kai opened the door for her, and she walked in. Kai was right behind her. “Table for two,” he spoke for her when a waiter came up to them. Hae Jung turned around and flashed her smile. Kai could feel his heart melt a little bit.

The waiter led them to a smaller table not too far from the entrance. It was contently quiet, but that was because it was a Monday.

“Usually, this place is packed,” Kai explained as they picked up their menus off of the table.

When Hae Jung’s eyes scanned the menu, her jaw dropped. It’s a dessert restaurant! Kai caught a glimpse of Hae Jung and couldn’t resist laughing. “Kai!”

“What?”

“How’d you know I love dessert restaurants?” Hae Jung was overwhelmed. It wasn’t even much, but she was already really happy.

Kai placed his menu down to answer. “Well, I remember you said that you haven’t been to a dessert restaurant in a long time when I took you home that one time. Plus, I know you have a sweet tooth, so…yeah.”

Hae Jung had passed by Destiny Café every once in a while. She thought it was some kind of swanky restaurant made for rich people, but she was wrong about the people part. It was very fancy inside. There was an escalator to the second room, and when Hae Jung and Kai looked up, there was a beautiful chandelier dangling.

“Ugh, Kai, are you trying to make me fatter than I already am?” Hae Jung cried as she looked at her menu. “Crepes…sundaes…lattes…Kai, honestly, are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

“No,” Kai laughed, “Just a little cavity or two.” He smiled cheekily at her that made her heart flutter. Hae Jung bit her lip nervously.

A waitress came by their table. “Are you guys ready?” she asked with a bit of impatience.

“Um, no, I’m sorry,” Hae Jung told her. The woman walked away without another word. Kai scrunched his nose up.

“What are you getting, Kai?”

“Hm, I don’t know. I think I’m going to get a slice of cheesecake and an Iced Vanilla Latte.” Kai tapped his finger against his chin slowly as he thought about what he just said. Yeah, I think I’ll get that.

Hae Jung groaned. “I don’t know what to get.”

“Get a crepe,” Kai suggested. “They have really big servings here.”

Hae Jung looked at him with a bewildered expression. “You think I’m going to finish it then?”

“I’ll help you,” Kai grinned. Hae Jung rolled her eyes, but she agreed.

The waitress came back, and they ordered what they wanted. Their desserts came quick, and Hae Jung almost had a heart attack. She squealed which made Kai laugh. They took bites of each other’s food and sips of each other’s drink.

“I don’t like coffee,” Hae Jung stated after she drank Kai’s drink. “But I like it when it’s iced or really sweet…or both.” Kai was in the middle of drinking her yogurt smoothie. “Hey!” She swatted him away from her drink. “Why do you always drink more than I do?”

“Because you’re a slow drink and a slow eater,” he joked, cutting a piece of her crepe off and popping it into his mouth.

“Hey!”

Kai just gave her a lopsided grin. They continued to eat, Hae Jung scolding Kai for eating off her plate every now and then. Eventually, Hae Jung excused herself to the washroom to wash her hands. While she was gone, Kai ordered a whole cake of tiramisu to pick up. According to his plan, he was going to pick it up later.

When Hae Jung came back, their plates and glasses were gone. She sighed and gave her stomach a small pat. “Are we going now then?”

“Yup,” Kai answered gleefully. “I’m bringing you somewhere else now.” Kai slid out of his seat and stood up like Hae Jung.

Hae Jung looked confused and surprised. “What? You’re still bringing me somewhere else?”

Kai nodded his head. Hae Jung blinked slowly before following Kai who had walked passed her. They walked into the sunshine once again. Hae Jung trotted behind Kai before catching up and walking beside him. She held onto his arm, though his hands were in his pockets. “Where are we going?”

“I don’t know.” Kai stopped walking, and Hae Jung did the same.

“I thought you said you were bringing me somewhere now!”

“Yeah, I’ll bring you somewhere you want to go to…so, where do you want to go, Miss Do?”

Hae Jung looked up from the ground. She met Kai’s eyes that were shining bright. She didn’t know if it was the sun or Kai that made her look away. “Um…I don’t want to go too far from here.”

“Then…should we go shopping?”

“Hm? Yeah, we should! But where?” She tilted her head. Her hand still gripped onto Kai’s forearm. People walked by them, some took a second glance.

Kai smiled. “Just follow me.”

So, they began another walk.

 

A/N: /sigh/ It's July 24. Wow, my summer's going by so fast ;A; Ugh, I haven't done anything productive. AT ALL. Anyway, I apologize. It's been, uh, a week since I last updated this. I don't know why. I'm getting so bored on the internet these days. Lately, I've been feeling like just reading, but it's kind of hard to find a fanfic here. So, I just end up going on Youtube and watching some random videos. I have nothing to do. And I feel bad for saying it, I'm getting bored on tumblr, too /SIGH/ I'll occupy myself with this now. So, look forward to the next part of Hae Jung's birthday day. By the way, I updated this quite late. I just felt the need to update, so yeah. I also changed the chapter titles to actual words, lol. I don't know if you noticed. Anyway, thanks for reading! Comment and subscribe ^^ Stay tuned :3

By the way (I seem to be putting a lot of extra things now), have you listened to B.A.P's new mini-album? lol, my B.A.P feels are coming back :3 They're really cute. And is it just me or is Daehyun a LOT more attractive with black hair? (was it even possible for a guy like him to be even MORE attractive than he already was?)