The Butterfly and the Falcon

The Butterfly and the Falcon

 

“Please don’t do this,” he yells it but it’s barely louder than a whisper, the plane is on and the propellers are spinning at full force, drowning out their voices.

Suho pulls on his jacket, and then reaches for his helmet and goggles as soon as he has a free hand. Kyungsoo steps forward and works on doing up the zipper with shaking fingers, and he takes as long as he can on purpose. He doesn’t want this, not at all.

“I’m sorry,” Suho mouths, and then kisses him, hard and full on the lips. He gets lost in it like he usually does, eyes falling shut, his hands moving from the zipper to around Suho’s shoulders. Suho then gently nudges Kyungsoo’s face to the side with his nose, pressing lips against the base of his neck and then mumbling into his ear. “This has to be done.”

“No,” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “No it doesn’t. What’s the use in fighting over me when I’m not going to go to him anyway?”

Suho releases a heavy breath and it has Kyungsoo shuddering as it hits his cheek. “It’s not just about you.” He says. “It’s about two and a half years of built up tension and hate. I’d rather he releases it all now so he can get over this. Get over you.”

It’s too much to strain their ears and voices to have a conversation after that, so they just share one last kiss and then Kyungsoo helps Suho hoist himself into the pilot’s seat.

There’s a feeling in the pit of Kyungsoo’s stomach that he can’t quite place as the plane pulls out of the hanger and he follows slowly behind it. He has no idea what the outcome of this could be, but he can’t exactly imagine a situation where all of them will end up happy.

-

It’s like a dream when the plane falls from the sky, and the only thing Kyungsoo can think as he stands there, eyes wide and legs rooted to the spot, is that it looks like fireworks as it hits the ground. Beautiful, dreadful fireworks, lighting up the late evening sky, making him shiver even in the warm, summer air.

Someone brushes by him, someone he barely recognizes as Kris, and he feels a strong hand curl around his wrist. He’s being dragged towards the fireworks, and he’s not entirely sure he wants to go, but he doesn’t have the strength left in him to fight back, so he follows, feet dragging along the grass.

He doesn’t come to until he hears the yells and the sirens, see’s men in big, heavy suits rushing towards the burning wreckage. It’s Suho’s plane that went down, Suho, somewhere in that mess, and Kyungsoo can’t—he won’t bring himself to believe it. This is a dream, he thinks. It’s all a dream. He’ll wake up and he’ll still be in Suho’s arms, he knows it.

But then a bloodcurdling scream reaches his ears and suddenly his legs can’t support him anymore. He pulls his wrist out of Kris’ grip and he tries to run, but instead he just falls to his knees, choking back a sob as he hits the floor. He watches in horror as Suho is being pulled out of the plane, his head thrashing from side to side as the scream spills from his lips, blood drenching his uniform, the stain a stark, shiny red even against the singed green attire.

“Stay here,” Kris orders but Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’d be able to move anyway, so he just curls his hands into fists on top of the grass and waits, watching, as Suho is placed onto a stretcher and carried to a waiting ambulance. They cover his mouth with a breathing mask to stop him from screaming and that’s when Kyungsoo manages to tear his gaze away.

He see’s Kai then, standing near his own plane, eyes wide and skin a deathly white. No one is paying him any attention, even though it was him, his careless flying that had Suho sacrificing himself so he wouldn’t hit Kai and take them both out.

Kyungsoo pushes himself to a stand and staggers over to him slowly. His entire body is shaking, and even Kai looks like he’s about to throw up as he lifts his gaze and meets Kyungsoo’s. He opens his mouth and closes it, as if he’s trying to say something, but Kyungsoo doesn’t want to hear it. He doesn’t want to hear that stupid voice ever again, or see his face, or even think about him. He’s never hated anyone more in his life.

“Do you see what you’ve done?” Kyungsoo yells. He feels like he doesn’t have control of his limbs anymore, like they’re completely on autopilot. He doesn’t even realize he’s raised his fist until it locks painfully with Kai’s jaw.

Kai covers the left side of his face with his hand, but otherwise doesn’t react, and Kyungsoo can’t help but feel like this infuriates him further. “I never, ever would have loved you,” he says coldly as he turns. He needs to get back to Suho—Kai certainly isn’t worth any more of his time. “Even if Suho didn’t exist I’d never be yours. Trying to kill him isn’t going to win me over.”

-

HURRAY for stupidly short chapter

there's gonna be another like this cuz I at cutting ;-;

but anyway aksfjsa;j sorry

so much drama

and you're all so cute I can't

<3 

when I was on my break at work I was like DKLAJFKLAJFIO because all of the comments were so nice