The Butterfly and the Falcon

The Butterfly and the Falcon

WARNING: Y'ALL ARE GONNA HATE MY GUTS 

 

 

The siren sounds at exactly 4:34am, blasting through the corridors and into the rooms. Kyungsoo’s far too disoriented when he wakes up, his entire body leaning on Suho as he’s helped into a house coat and slippers. They make their way into the hallway, Suho not relenting his grip around Kyungsoo’s waist as they join the mass of people heading towards the main building. It’s far too early in the morning for anyone to really process things, but this is it, the moment they’ve been dreading.

Way earlier than they were expecting, than they could have anticipated.

All of the commanders are standing in a row in front of the computer station, arms folded across their chests, looking serious, but it’s hard to miss the fear in their eyes. Kyungsoo notices Baekhyun and Chanyeol standing somewhere near the center, so he and Suho make their way over. Baekhyun is more awake and alert than anyone, his entire body trembling as he pulls both of his friends in for hugs.

“They’re coming for Asia,” he says in a hushed voice, just in time for the Air Marshal to step forward, ready to address them all. The entire room is scared into silence, holding their breaths as he speaks.

“This may be sudden,” he says. He’s speaking loudly, to address everyone, but his voice is still shaking. He’s scared too, and that’s what finally has the reality of the situation sinking in to Kyungsoo. He in a breath and takes a step closer to Suho, his only comfort being the warmth suddenly embracing him. “But we’ve been preparing for this for years, and I believe we have the best of the best in our facility. You’re all ready for this.” He looks around at them with something akin to pride. “All medics, you’ll need to get right to your stations. Prepare. It’s not only our own that will be requiring your assistance from here.” Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and the rest of the medics nod their understanding. The Marshal returns it, looking somewhat glad. “All pilots will be on standby, in case you’re needed, but Suho…”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen and his grip tightens around Suho’s hand instinctively. No, no, please don’t, he wants to scream, but he can’t. This is it.

“They need you on offense. Please get prepared to fly out by seven am,” he bites his lip, steps down from the small podium to approach the rookie pilot. Kyungsoo lets out a soft whimper when Suho lets go of him, even if it’s only for a moment. “Take them out before they even have a chance to attack us. You’re the best flier I’ve ever seen. Make us proud, okay?”

Suho nods, his face set, stony and serious. Kyungsoo thinks he’s the only one that can see right through it—Suho’s as afraid as the rest of them are.

When the marshal moves away to give more specific instructions to the commanders, Suho slips his hand back into Kyungsoo’s and then leads him through the crowd of people, out into the hallway again. “Junmyeon,” Kyungsoo says softly. “I have to go prepare with the others.”

Suho shakes his head, looking troubled, his usually bright eyes darkened by fear; an expression he’ll only allow Kyungsoo to see. He quickens his pace, and Kyungsoo has to jog just to keep up. “I need you more than they do,” Suho says as they stop in front of the room Kyungsoo used to share with Baekhyun. It’s a little closer than their room, Kyungsoo observes.

It’s not until lips are trailing down his neck, and his is pressed against the closed door, that Kyungsoo realizes the reason Suho’s so desperate for this is that it might be their last chance.

-

Kyungsoo would be proud, he thinks, if the situation of Suho’s departure wasn’t so grave. He looks so good in his uniform, the white slacks hugging his muscular thighs tighter than slacks usually should, the blazer slightly loose around his waist thanks to his broad shoulders. He has his helmet with the air mask tucked under his arm as he approaches the plane and Kyungsoo, looking like he’s trying so hard to force a smile that his face has somehow turned into a rather unattractive grimace.

He places the helmet down on the ground beside him and then pulls Kyungsoo into a hug, clutching tightly around his waist, face buried into his hair. The way he’s breathing makes Kyungsoo aware that they’re both in the same position, there—basking in the final moments they can spend together before Suho’s off to war, with a minimal chance at ever returning.

“Look at me, Kyungsoo,” Suho says firmly as they pull apart. He places both of his hands on Kyungsoo’s shoulders and forces him to meet his gaze. “Listen, okay? No matter what happens to me,” he raises his finger to his lips to quiet Kyungsoo when he opens his mouth to interrupt. “No matter what happens, I need you to be strong, okay? I’m not the only one in this world that loves you.”

“Junmy—” Suho shakes his head, urging him to keep quiet. “Promise me something, Kyungsoo. If they come here, no matter what anyone else tells you to do, I need you to hide. I’ve already spoken to Baekhyun and Chanyeol. You know that old trapdoor in the forest near the hanger? Aim for that. They’ll meet you there.”

“I can’t—” he tries, but Suho’s gaze intensifies and he closes his mouth again, giving one tiny nod. He knows when the time comes he can’t hide, he needs to do his job, needs to put on his military uniform and fight just like everyone else, but the less Suho knows the better.

“I know exactly what you’re thinking right now,” Suho sighs as he pulls Kyungsoo back into a hug, sliding arms around his shoulders. He starts trembling when Kyungsoo places tentative hands on his waist. “You have to live. You need to. You need to outlive this war so you can become a chef and start a family. As long as you can promise me this, Kyungsoo, I’ll die happy. I promise I will. Just hide.”

“Those dreams mean nothing to me if you’re not part of them,” Kyungsoo somehow manages to choke out before he gives in to the tears. He buries his face into Suho’s neck to muffle the sobs, and they stand there for an eternity, just lost in the mere feel of each other. At this point it doesn’t matter who sees them.

Kyungsoo is glad the time is going by slowly, because he never wants to let go.

They only break apart when someone near them clears their throat. It’s like a dream when Kyungsoo turns his head to see Kai standing there, arms folded across his slightly-too-large pilot’s uniform, his own helmet hanging from his wrist by the straps. “Suho,” he calls out, mock offended. “Where do you think you’re going without me?”

Suho looks slightly like a deer caught in headlights. Kyungsoo nudges him, and he seems to come to, then, taking a deep breath as he looks over his friend’s appearance.  “Kai,” he breathes, shaking his head slowly. “I thought you were…”

“Mm, no,” Kai smiles, stepping close to the pair and tugging them both into a quick hug. “Kris ripped up my request right in front of my face. Told me I’d be stupid to leave.”

“Where have you been, then?”

“Home,” Kai says simply, and it doesn’t need to be questioned. “But I came back as soon as I heard… let’s bring them down, okay, Suho?”

“Kai, no,” there’s a hint of desperation in Suho’s voice, now. “Don’t. Stay here. Stay with Kyungsoo. Keep him safe for…” He pauses, gulps. “Us.”

“We’ve been in this together from the start, Suho,” Kai says harshly, leaving no room for argument. “I’m not going to stand here and watch you fly away. I’m coming whether you like it or not.”

“Kai…” Suho is shaking his head continually, his grip around Kyungsoo loosening a little as he reaches forward with a free hand to curl around Kai’s wrist. “Please just stay here. He needs someone.”

 The sound of a cannon echoes through the grounds and in a sudden fit of panic, Kyungsoo pulls both of the pilots close again, grip relentless. He doesn’t want to let them go—he can’t. A future without either of these men is one he can’t bear to imagine. He needs them both.

“That’s our signal,” Kai whispers as he gently eases Kyungsoo away, and then places a quick kiss on his forehead. His lips linger for a moment barely a breath away from his skin, and Kyungsoo thinks for a brief second that Kai might kiss him again, but this time properly. He’s not entirely sure he’d stop him if he tried. But in the end, Kai just leaves without another word, heading over to one of the standard jets waiting on standby. He’s awfully calm for someone who is just about to walk into his own death, Kyungsoo thinks.

Suho places one foot onto the step ladder, turning for one last look at Kyungsoo, who is now standing there, hands curled into fists at either side of him. 

“You’re not going to die,” Kyungsoo says confidently, surprising even himself. “You promised me you wouldn’t. Not now you have something to fight for.”

“You’re right,” The smile on Suho’s lips is weak but it’s there, and when he mouths, I love you, Kyungsoo feels shivers go right down his spine.

He stands back as Suho hoists himself the rest of the way into the plane and then starts up the engines. He waves one last time before he has to close the door, and Kyungsoo returns it, not stopping until the plane has taken off down the runway and into the sky, joining the other planes in formation, circling the base.

“He’ll come back,” he tells himself before turning back towards the main building. He’ll come back. He wonders how many times he’ll have to say it before he can actually believe it.

-

Suho does come back, but only after the worst two weeks of Kyungsoo’s life, with dark circles around his eyes, cheeks sullen. He looks like he hasn’t eaten in days and it’s probably true.

Kyungsoo pulls him into his arms for a hug that isn’t returned, drags him into his office and sits him down on the bed. Suho can’t stand needles, but he doesn’t struggle when Kyungsoo pushes up his sleeve and sticks in an IV. They can’t afford to risk any more time.

“You came back to me,” Kyungsoo allows himself to breathe once his condition stabilises, but he’s not feeling the intense happiness he expected to feel upon Suho’s potential return. Suho nods, and reaches up with shaking arms to clutch weakly at Kyungsoo’s shirt as he starts to shake, tears collecting in the corners of his eyes.

“I saw it go down,” he says, voice hoarse. Kyungsoo can already feel his heart breaking; he doesn’t need to hear the rest to know what happened. “His plane. I saw it go down. He’s not coming back, Kyungsoo. He’s gone.”

 

Kim Jongin (KAI)
Status: MIA (as of October 7th 2042)
Plane down over hostile territory
Search: On hold

 

-

DONT WORRY GUYS

actually idk thats up to you

um

gonna go hide now before you all decide to kill me. 

It's been a fun ride

thanks for all the support <3 seriously <3 

wait for the sequels to this universeeeeeeeeeee okay?

I know I've said things about the sequels being other pairings but they all overlap and they all include a bit of all the pairings included here as well

:3

:3

bye

also here's to finally hitting 750 total subs on AFF

<3 

even tho its past that now

... 

BYE