The Butterfly and the Falcon

The Butterfly and the Falcon

 

He’s not given a chance to settle before he’s pushed right into the job, a large container of medicine being handed to him, a new shipment from godknowswhere which is apparently the new big thing for increasing immune systems and controlling certain dietary needs. Kyungsoo comes from the not very wealthy area of an otherwise rich zone, so he’s never really had chances to work with products like this.

He’s scared but excited. Nervous that he might mess something up. It’s his first day, after all.

Baekhyun helps him with his first two patients, two huge, muscular men in their last year of training. He’s never seen anyone quite so big before, and Baekhyun explains to him in an undertone after that their muscles come from unofficial government experimentation and nothing else. He’s pretty sure nothing will surprise him after this.

His third patient is an awkwardly tall and gangly 18 year old who is much too thin to be in this line of work, so his clipboard has some special mentions about giving him certain pills to decrease his metabolism enough to gain the right amount of weight. He has to be careful. The pills are still in experimentation and they’re not officially allowed to administer to anyone.

Sehun’s a sweet boy though, who does as he’s told and tells Kyungsoo that if he wants a friend in this place, Sehunnie is there. Kyungsoo nods and smiles because of course he wants a friend, everyone wants friends. The smile that Sehun gives him in return doesn’t really seem to meet his eyes but Kyungsoo doesn’t have much time to let it bother him.

His fourth through seventh patients are those , desperate creeps that Baekhyun warned him about the day before. It’s all he can do to keep his mouth shut and do his job, but he’s not sure how he’s supposed to deal with the racy comments for the next four years of his life. Or more, depending if they re-sign him.

Suho’s next, and Kyungsoo feels a little awkward to admit that this is the one he’s been waiting for, also the one he’s been most nervous for. There are all sorts of special instructions for him, and Kyungsoo’s feels he would have known he was the favourite just by this alone, without even having to get to know of him the day before.

Don’t touch him more than you have to

Give him exactly ¼ cup of water mixed with tonic #2 after any pills

Don’t argue when he asks to reschedule appointments

Always give him the specialized meal coupons, fresh fruit and lots of carbohydrates are needed for his diet

He seems like a celebrity, with all these demands. Some confident, all-too-cocky celebrity, who doesn’t care that the world is in disarray, puts his selfish needs in front of everyone else. It’s weird, because he didn’t really give off that impression the day before.  That smile was way too beautiful to be anything but legitimate.

Suho takes a seat obediently on the bed before Kyungsoo even has to ask him, and he’s treated to the  standard, “hi, I’m Do Kyungsoo, I’m your new nurse” greeting, with a slight bow to show respect—always show respect. These pilots will be the elite of the elite, in the near future. Somehow, it seems like Suho is already there.

He picks up the clipboard, reads, “Kim Junmyeon, blood type AB. I have a new dose of pills for you which you’ll need to take weekly from now on, so we need to set up a regular schedule for you, okay?”

Suho’s looking at him with a tight smile and raised eyebrows. “You’re young, aren’t you?”

“I’m qualified,” Kyungsoo points out impatiently. Suho’s not the first to comment about his age.

“Mm,” he scrunches up his nose and shakes his head. Kyungsoo wonders if he ever doesn’t look handsome, because he’s sure that ifhe tried that look on someone, they’d be running off as fast as they can in the complete opposite direction to him. “I’m not sure I trust that.”

“Well, you’re going to have to,” Kyungsoo tries to keep his voice steady, but he’s shocked and he’s scared that this Suho—why is he called Suho, anyway? Isn’t it Junmyeon?—seems perfectly capable of putting him out of a job if he doesn’t perform up to par. “Because I’m—”

“Hey,” he feels gentle fingers poke into his ribcage and he gasps, stumbles slightly to the side. “I was just kidding. What’s with that look? You made me feel quite terrible.”

Kyungsoo bites back a reply, and tries, really tries, to soften his gaze a little. He knows that when he’s put on the spot his expression is nothing short of terrifying to look at, he’s heard it so many times from his mother and sister.

“Anyway,” Suho is scrutinizing him now, looking rather amused, and Kyungsoo blushes as he fumbles through the container to pull out the packaging for Suho’s new pills. “I’ll start them this evening, and stick to that weekly. I actually had some concerns.” He lets out a rather exasperated sigh. “I didn’t want to tell anyone else because they’ll freak out, but it’s really not that serious.”

“Oh?” Kyungsoo withdraws the pouch and looks over at Suho curiously.

“I went flying yesterday. And I think I might have pulled something in my shoulder, but it doesn’t hurt that much. It’s just...uncomfortable. I was wondering if you could do something about it.”

The way he’s looking at Kyungsoo makes him think he wants a massage or something like that, and the thought has Kyungsoo blushing an even deeper pink as he disappears through the privacy curtain to get some herbal patches from the supply closet.

“Here,” he hands them over and Suho accepts them with a quick thanks. “These should do, as long as you’re not lying about it only being uncomfortable.” He narrows his eyes and Suho laughs nervously.

“Okay. Well it hurts a bit. But I’m pretty sure these will do.” He waves them in the air and hops down from the bed. “Thanks, Ky—”

“We’re not done yet!” Kyungsoo says hurriedly. He rushes over to the clipboard again and tugs off the meal coupons, ripping off enough for the next week and sliding them into Suho’s waiting hand. “It says I’m supposed to give you these. Something about special diets and how you’re special or something.”

Suho’s laughing and Kyungsoo tries not to lose himself to that sound. “You’re funny. I like you. But eh, I guess I forgot you wouldn’t know since you’re new, but,” he pushes the coupons back into Kyungsoo’s palm. “Please get those to Sehun somehow. You’ve already had his appointment, I know. But he needs them more than I do. I really don’t like that they make him take those pills. And don’t tell him they’re supposed to be mine, okay?”

Kyungsoo’s left speechless as Suho pats his shoulder and then takes his leave. He regrets thinking those things about Suho being spoiled and cocky before, because he’s pretty sure he’s never met someone so genuinely and so unconditionally kind.

-

It’s been a rather long day and he’s still working well into the evening, taking notes in each of his patient’s files, jotting down everything he can remember from the first set of appointments. Baekhyun has long since disappeared, saying something about a party and having the evening off and that Kyungsoo is invited too if he’d like to join, but Kyungsoo turns him down politely. It’s his first day—he feels it’s not very appropriate to already be out and about like that.

There’s a knock on his door around 8, and he puts his pen down and makes his way over curiously, wondering who could be around still at this time of night, when apparently everyone had the evening to do their own thing.

He opens the door and finds himself face-to-shoulder with someone a significant amount taller than him. He steps back, mumbling an apology, and he’s horrified when he looks up and see’s that it’s Kai he bumped into, the other pilot from the day before that Baekhyun described as having a big head.

“Hi,” the man in front of him looks nothing short of awkward, though, as he shifts from one foot to the other and gives Kyungsoo a rather desperate look. “Sorry for interrupting you. Can I come in?”

He nods, steps aside. Kai walks right over to the bed on Baekhyun’s side of the office and takes a seat on it. He’s a lot less intimidating now that Kyungsoo doesn’t have to look up to meet his gaze.

“What’s up?” He asks. He’s not entirely sure he’s supposed to talk to patients that aren’t his, but if Kai’s anything like Suho, well...

“I couldn’t go to my appointment today because I had a physical with another doctor, but I didn’t realize I’ve run out of metabolism pills and it’s too risky to miss a night with those, and... this was the only light that was on. I was scared Baekhyun would be here, I’m really relieved it’s not him,” he laughs shakily.  

“Do you have your prescription information?” Kyungsoo asks, and Kai nods, handing it over. “Kim Jongin?” He’s surprised to see that Kai’s younger than him by almost exactly one year, he feels like Kai is at least a few years older. Maybe in his early 20’s, like Suho. Not 18. Not a child.

“Call me Kai, please. Everyone else does,” he smiles a charming smile and Kyungsoo shakes his head. No matter what he calls this man in his head, he has to remain professional on the job. Using a nickname is way too personal.

“Just give me a second here, I have to try and find what you need.”

“Take your time.” Kai lies back on the bed as Kyungsoo begins to shuffle through the cabinets. “You’re new, right?” He’s obviously interested in a conversation. It makes him seem rather lonely, Kyungsoo thinks. “I saw you yesterday. First when we were taking off, and then with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. You watched us fly, didn’t you?”

“Um,” Kyungsoo tugs a big, white bottle from the top shelf and it slips from his grasp as Kai finishes his question, landing with a crash on the counter below. “Y-yes.” He gathers it up quickly, checking the contents to make sure none broke open. “How many do you need?”

“My appointment is in three days.” Kai’s lips are quirked up as he watches Kyungsoo from the bed. Kyungsoo kind of feels like he’s being placed under a microscope, and he can’t decide if this feeling makes him uncomfortable or not. “So four, just in case?”

“O-okay.”

He pulls out a serving container and tips four of the coin-sized green pills into it carefully. He’s so glad he doesn’t have to take these things himself—he’s not exactly sure how these pilots manage to swallow them whole without choking.

“What did you think, anyway?” He turns back to Kai and tilts his head in confusion. “About my flying,” Kai clarifies.

“Um,” Kyungsoo places the container onto the bed next to him and backs into his office chair. Somehow, he knows exactly which plane belonged to whom the day before, just by catching these tiny glimpses into their personalities. “You’re fun to watch,” he explains slowly, trying to word it in a way that doesn’t sound too creepy. “But you’re too confident. You pulled out of a curve really messily and if Su—the other pilot didn’t have the proper instincts, I feel like it could have gotten dangerous.”

“Interesting,” he almost thinks Kai would be angry with his honesty, but he’s surprised to see a grin light up Kai’s features as he pushes himself off the bed and to a stand. “Usually people just tell me how amazing I am.”

“If that’s what you want to hear, you should make sure I know that from the start.”

Kai chuckles at this and then reaches out his hand, which Kyungsoo shakes rather hesitantly. “You’re really interesting. I’d like to get to know you more. See you around, okay? Do Kyungsoo.” He leans close to whisper the last bit into his ear, and Kyungsoo stands, stock still, until Kai’s gone again. He releases a big shiver he wasn’t aware he was holding in.

He packs up his work and decides to head to his dorm to sleep—it’s really been a long, interesting day, full of many new faces, and he’s not sure he’ll remember all of them right away.

But there’s one, one with a gentle smile and sparkling half-moon eyes that Kyungsoo can’t really seem to get out of his mind at all, let alone forget about it.

-

DYING OF TIRED LOL HAVEN'T SLEPT in 36 bloody hours omg I hate having two jobs OKAY PEACE OUT  I LOVE YOU ALL bed tiem.