The Butterfly and the Falcon

The Butterfly and the Falcon

 

Clubbing.

Kyungsoo’s never really had that many friends, the few he had back in his old zone weren’t really the types to be into this sort of thing. Not that they had many opportunities, anyway—too far off from the city to travel there with only clubbing as an excuse, and his village was a little too small to have one of their own.

So he’s not sure he’s all that eager to go when Baekhyun corners him after their shift on a Friday night, telling him everyone is going and he has no excuse not to this time because it’s not like he has any friends other than Baekhyun and Chanyeol (“And Sehun,” he tries to clarify weakly, but Baekhyun snorts because Kyungsoo and Sehun have never spoken outside of their appointments and Baekhyun knows it) and there isn’t anything possible for him to do that’s work related.

“Sehun is coming anyway. Are you in, or are you in?”

“I guess I’m in.” He drops his pencil down onto his desk and lets Baekhyun drag him all the way to their dorm. “I didn’t bring anything suitable to wear to something like that, though,” he points out when he opens the door to his tiny closet, frowning at how he see’s multiple ill-fitting pairs of jeans and plain shirts amongst his three sets of uniforms for work and the military get up he’s required to own just in case.

“Luckily for you,” Baekhyun tugs him over to his own closet and begins pulling articles of clothing out at random and holding them up to Kyungsoo’s body. “I’m incredibly vain and packed lots of clothes that I know will make me look even more fantastic than I already do. And we just so happen to be almost the same size.” He bites down on his lip as he contemplates between two pairs of jeans—one simple, black pair that look like Kyungsoo will spend the night having an awful time trying to breathe, and one with grey denim, with artful rips all the way up to the thighs.

Please go for the black ones, Kyungsoo begs in his mind. I don’t mind suffocating to death. Pleeeeaaaaassssseeeeeeeeeee.

“These ones.” Baekhyun holds up the grey ones and Kyungsoo groans. “And I think this will do.” He holds up a simple, fitted black tee. “Now go get changed while I plan what to do with your hair.”

He’s embarrassed, to say the least. He’s never even imagined himself in these types of clothes, let alone actually dressed this way, so when Chanyeol shows up, ten minutes after Baekhyun has attacked his hair with gel and—much to his dismay—scissors, and gasps in shock, he stumbles back into the bathroom and slams the door shut, thinking he’d be much better off spending the evening curled up in his bed with a nice book or something.

It takes them about twenty minutes more to coax Kyungsoo back out of the bathroom again, and Baekhyun’s getting extremely antsy as they head out the door. He’s holding onto Chanyeol’s hand as if it’s the only thing stopping him from ringing Kyungsoo’s neck for making them so bloody late, but Chanyeol doesn’t seem to mind it at all. He just fits their hands together more comfortably, laces Baekhyun’s fingers into his and gives him a warm smile.

It’s a ten minute walk off their base, and despite their apparent lateness, they manage to join some familiar faces in the line before the doors of the club have even opened.

Baekhyun lets go of Chanyeol’s hand to give Sehun and Kai high-fives. Kyungsoo is a little horrified to see that Suho’s there, standing with someone he doesn’t recognize, but staring at him—at Kyungsoo, eyes raking over his entire being, lingering at the jeans. He steps behind Chanyeol and it takes him everything not to bury his face in between his giant friend’s shoulder blades. So embarrassing. Why did he have to go through with this?

“You look fantastic,” a familiar, smooth voice from behind him has his shoulders tensing up and he turns to see Kai grinning down at him. He bows his head in thanks just in time for them to hear a loud scraping noise as the doors to the club open and the crowd lined up against the wall starts pushing forward. “Come on.”

Kai places his hands on Kyungsoo’s waist and guides him forward with the rest of their group. He’s actually rather grateful for the action, because he can still feel Suho’s occasional gaze on him and it’s making his legs feel suspiciously like jelly.

The music is deafening, and though it seemed like they were pretty close to the front of the line, when they enter there’s already a plethora of sweaty bodies moving on the dance floor. Baekhyun has a hold of Chanyeol’s hand again—which Kyungsoo thinks is a little odd, at this point—and he’s directing the group over to one of the booths at the back.

Kai’s grip leaves Kyungsoo’s waist and he has a protective hand on the small of his back, instead. Kyungsoo gives him a tiny smile as he slides into a seat, shuffling over so he can make room for the others. Suho announces that he’s going to get everyone drinks; that the music is too loud for him to hear everyone’s preferences so they’re just going to have to deal with what he chooses for them.

He comes back with four huge bottles of rice wine and they all reach for a shot glass—everyone except Kyungsoo, anyway.

“Not a drinker?” Kai has to yell into his ear in order to be heard. Kyungsoo nods slowly, his eyes trained across the table, watching the way Suho throws his head back and swallows down his shots so...appealingly. “The opposite of Baekhyun, then,”

Kyungsoo laughs as he looks over at his friend. Baekhyun’s face is already flushed, he and Chanyeol alone are already almost finished one of the bottles and it looks like Chanyeol has barely touched any at all. Baekhyun’s whining something no one else can hear as he rubs his cheek against Chanyeol’s shoulder and is practically curled up in his lap, eyes drooping shut. Chanyeol’s just sitting there with a dopey smile on his face as he lets it happen. Extremely suspicious, Kyungsoo thinks.

“Are they dating?” He turns to ask Kai, but laughs when he realizes Kai began to ask him the exact same thing. He shrugs and shakes his head, he doesn’t know, but he’s pretty sure if something was going on between them it would have been obvious from all the times he’s spent with them alone. They haven’t so much as once given him any reason to think there might be something going on between them—or have they? He racks his brain trying to think of all the subtle touches and smiles and gestures that completely went over his head at the time, but now could mean a whole lot more.

“Hey,” there’s a tap on his shoulder that has him snapping out of his thoughts. He’s surprised to see that Suho’s no longer in his seat—and is, in fact, right behind him, leaning close to talk into his ear. He makes to turn his head slightly to listen, but then he realizes that puts his lips about a centimetre away from Suho’s cheek and he leans back as far as he can without bumping into Kai. Suho’s giving him his usual, charming smile as he beckons him to get out of the booth and he nods, apologizing to Kai as he squeezes by him.

“Let’s dance,” Suho shouts as they wander over to the dance floor. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen, because he’s not so sure he can do this without making a complete and utter fool of himself, but he wants to, he really, really wa— “With girls,” Suho clarifies, looking a little put out at Kyungsoo’s expression. With girls? Well, Kyungsoo’s not so sure he wants that. He tries to turn back to the table, but Suho’s grip on his wrist is rather tight and before he knows it he’s being dragged into the mess of bodies.

It’s way too hot and he feels really claustrophobic. The girls that latched themselves onto Suho pretty much the second he found a spot for them have no interest in Kyungsoo at all—of course, he’s not a gorgeous, perfect pilot with an amazing smile and a fantastic body. He wants to escape, but he has no idea which direction to go in to find his friends again and the thought makes him feel sick, so sick.

But then another hand is curling around his wrist and it’s Kai, leading him through the crowd. Rather than going for their table, he aims for the patio door, guiding Kyungsoo to one of the chairs and then pulling another over to sit with him. Kyungsoo tilts his head back and closes his eyes. The cool, night air feels so good on his skin.

“Thank you,” he breathes, and Kai makes a small sound that seems to come from the back of his throat. Kyungsoo blinks his eyes open and stares up at the stars, smiling because the way they’re twinkling so innocently has his entire body relaxing.

“I don’t know what it is about you,” There’s a hint of laughter in Kai’s voice. “But I can’t help it, Kyungsoo. I really like you.”

“What?” Kyungsoo brings his thoughts back down to the earth and he glances at Kai, who is hunched over in his chair, staring at his own hands as he fidgets with his fingers nervously.

“I like you. A lot.” Kyungsoo in a breath—he’s not entirely sure how he’s supposed to respond to this. He’s never even thought it was an option to consider Kai as anything but a co-worker, maybe a friend, so this confession is nothing but surprising to him.

“I-I...” Kai shakes his head and smiles.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to say anything. Just think about it, okay? I’ll be back at the table. Come in when you feel better.”

Prolonging the inevitable? Kyungsoo sighs sadly and pushes himself up to a stand as soon as Kai has disappeared through the door. He’s not into Kai, not like that, but he knows it’s going to be hard to reject him later on.

He somehow doesn’t have any troubles finding the table again. Mostly everyone is gone, and he feels a slight pang in his chest when he realizes Suho isn’t back from the dance floor yet. He slips into the seat right on the edge, opposite of Kai and as far away from Baekhyun and Chanyeol as he can get. Baekhyun’s gone from half-into Chanyeol’s lap to completely straddling his hips, and he can’t see either of their faces, but the way Chanyeol’s fingers are gripping his small waist ever so tightly makes Kyungsoo very, very glad he doesn’t have a full view.

Kai smirks at him and Kyungsoo can’t help but giggle in return. Well that answers their question, then. 

-

fffuu not sure about this one, I might re-do it in time for posting it to LJ (following same plot no worries just...I feel like it could be way better written) 

but yar.

omg

so it seems pretty even, between kaisoo and sudo

and a lot of people want ot3 LOL

okay

I won't give anything away

but yeah <3 thanks so much for the support guys, you know I love you