seven.

Gemini

 

The storm has ended and peace had dawn that small town in Busan. Things fell into its proper places as the planetarium had started to gain recognition from the rest of South Korea. Fighting for it had turned out to be the best decision as it is gradually becoming a premier tourist destination in the province.

 

But as the community improves, the weaker Kris becomes. After the fight for the institution, Kris and Chanyeol would start to go to hospitals for treatment. However, the doctor had revealed that not even the most advanced medical technology of Busan can do something.

 

“So this is God’s reply,” Kris thought.

 

No, he doesn't blame God. He could never do that. It is he who wasted his own life. But there’s no point regretting so he had personally chosen to succumb, knowing that his time is near anyway.

 

He tried to live a proper life amidst the crucial pain. He would continue going to the planetarium although he’s already on a wheelchair, pushed by his bestfriend, Chanyeol.

 

Park Chanyeol.

 

The sudden drop of his personality and mood is what Kris was worried about. His younger friend would not admit it but Kris knew that his coming departure is turning Chanyeol into someone else he should not be.

 

“Chanyeol,” Kris mumbled weakly as they were in the newly built observatory in front of the beach. The sky was covered with what seemed to be a carpet of gems as the stars were twinkling beautifully above them – completely opposite the darkness and coldness of Haeundae Beach.

 

The younger one, dragged out of his unspoken lamentations, smiled and faced his hyung, “Ne?”

 

“Look at that…” Kris raised his arm slowly and pointed out at the different constellations above them. He showed his dongsaeng the Big Dipper, the Orion, Canis Manor, the unicorn...

 

And then his index finger rested on a group of stars that, if connected, looks like twins running while holding hands, “And that… that’s Gemini.”

 

Clueless, Chanyeol just nodded. But his heart was being crushed everytime he hears Kris speaking in an almost inaudible voice. Truth be told, the pain was blinding him so much.

 

Then he felt warmth.

 

Kris reached out to touch Chanyeol’s face with his weak and shaking hand. Even in the dark, he looked through the younger one’s eyes - pouring all the love he could give to the person he had learned to accept as his brother. “Why are you afraid?” He whispered.

 

Chanyeol faked a laugh, trying to conceal the pain from his hyung. “Of course, I’m not.” He grabbed Kris’ hand and kept it where it is, burying it more even. The last thing he wanted to happen was for the warmth to leave. His eyes were burning with tears.

 

“Liar,” Kris muttered. “What are you afraid of? Losing me, or being like this?”

 

The ocean howled, and the tears freely flowed from the younger man’s eyes. Everything was too heavy for Chanyeol to bear. “Both,” he admitted with a very low voice.

 

Kris felt a pang of pain in his heart as he pulled his brother into a weak hug. Bent down, Chanyeol decided to just let all his emotions drown him that very moment; because truth it, he really was afraid of everything when it started to be uncertain.

 

“The stars whispered something to me,” Kris said as he feebly patted his dongsaeng’s head. “They told me you’re a fool.”

 

Chanyeol let out a small chuckle. He pulled away from the hug and wiped his tears with the back of his hand.

 

Kris put his hands on his brother’s shoulder causing the latter to kneel in front of him. “You taught me how to be strong, Chanyeol. You’re better than this. You are better than I am because you know how to find happiness in even the simplest things,” he said, his voice breaking down; and in an almost fading sound, he added, “don’t waste that gift.”

 

He couldn’t understand how it happened, but Chanyeol let out a smile Kris missed a lot and nodded, “I won’t.”

 

Of course, it would be difficult but he has to stay strong. Because that’s what he is. Because that’s what he should be.

 

Chanyeol took a chair beside his hyung and sat on it. He leaned his head on the handle of the wheelchair because he was afraid that Kris would hurt if he leaned on his shoulder, just like how he used to when they watch the sunset.

 

“Remember what you told me about people turning into stars when they die?” Kris asked suddenly, evading the short silence that consumed them. Chanyeol was caught off guard. The only thing he could do was to nod.

 

Kris let out a short groan of pain and Chanyeol panicked. But a sense of calmness washed through his senses as he felt the warmth of Kris’ hand on his.

 

Then slowly again, Kris raised his right hand to point at the brightest star above them, “that’s Sirius.”

 

“I know,” Chanyeol muttered dryly, not knowing where their conversation is leading to.

 

Kris nodded even though his head was tilted upwards so he can stare at his favorite star, “Since I can’t be Gemini yet, I want to be Sirius.”

 

Realizing what his hyung meant, Chanyeol bit his lower lip to stop himself from crying. He shut his eyes tight, in search for the best words to say and to at least attempt to control the insufferable pain in his heart. He knew the time has come.

 

“You’ve always been the brightest star, hyung. You’ve always been Sirius…”he said.

 

Kris continued to stare at the star above them, his breathing weak and his eyelids heavy.

 

Chanyeol carefully cradled his hyung’s hand in his. He intertwined the fingers and slowly pulled it close for a short, caring kiss. Tears were falling again, and this time, he couldn’t help it. He squeezed the soft hand of the person who gave him so much inspiration and love, whose defenses he managed to thwart, whose life had changed his in an instant. And then he bit his lip to let no whimper of pain escape.

 

But somehow… even just a little bit… it felt easier.

 

“We'll be gemini together. Wait for me there,” Chanyeol requested.

 

Kris nodded and whispered a soft ‘thank you’ in the air. Then he let his eyes close and took one deep breath; and after what seemed to be an entire lifetime, he did something he had long forgotten…

 

He smiled.