four

Gemini

 

 

It was calm. It was comfortable. He breathed as cold air dampened his body. There wasn’t any noise. There was no pain. Kris breathed again.

 

And slowly, he opened his eyes.

 

“Hyung,” a deep voice echoed through the silence. Kris didn’t dare move. He has no family. He has no friends. He wouldn’t even talk to anyone except when greatly necessary. Nobody would call him – “Hyung,” the voice spoke once more.

 

Slowly, Kris tilted his head to the side where the deep yet sweet voice was coming from. And with surprise and disbelief etched in his beautiful yet tired face, he mumbled,

 

“Chanyeol-ssi…”

 

Park Chanyeol. He is the most interesting kid in town. Kris knew him because he would constantly go to the planetarium. Although the older one never paid attention to this stranger, he knew the kid from the mouths of everyone.

 

In spite of the harsh voice, Chanyeol is a very fun-loving person. He walks around the town in a jolly mood every time, and it’s as if he showers everyone with dusts of his happy virus. He beams at anyone sincerely – always innocently happy in the eyes of Kris.

 

“Ayo!” Chanyeol greeted him with his usual cheery smile, his hands doing a gesture Kris noticed to be from those hiphop groups nowadays. “How are you?”

 

Suddenly, there was a prick on Kris’ heart. How long has it been since someone asked him that question, and really meant it? “I’m okay, I guess. Where am I?” He snorted.

 

Still beaming, Chanyeol explained that he was in the hospital. When Kris asked what happened, the younger one animatedly related that he was heading to the church when he saw Kris literally dying. He followed him to his house and heard the scream. Instantly, he bolted in and carried the older man to the nearest hospital, which is in the city.

 

It was hard to believe for Kris. He couldn’t speak a thing, not even words of gratitude. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t know if he should be grateful that he was saved?

 

Chanyeol understood though as he continued beaming. Then he stood up and pulled the table closer to Kris’ bed. “Here are the fruits the people from the town sent you when they learned of what happened. I kind of needed help from the captain so we can bring you here so sorry if you’re keeping it a secret,” he said, referring to the disease.

 

“And there’s the list of medicines you have to take in case I can’t make it on time. I asked the doctor to give you another set of painkillers and antibiotics because your medicines were useless already at your state,” Chanyeol continued while pointing out on a piece of paper under the basket of fruits and flowers.

 

Kris raised his eyebrow, “how did you know so much?”

 

Chanyeol flashed him a very authentic smile. “Because, lucky you, I take those medicines too,” then he winked, and left the room.