three.

Gemini

 

Fate meddled and the next thing Kris knew, he was working already as the caretaker of the planetarium. The town captain, apparently bemused and amused by the fact that someone foreign came to him to ask about the forgotten institution, gleefully handed Kris the responsibility over the place. How trust was easily gained, it would always be unknown. But who cares about reason when reality is openly available to be enjoyed?

 

With all that he is and with everything he knows, Kris has poured all his time to the re-establishment of the planetarium. As permitted by the townsmen, he went to all government officials in Busan to ask for assistance – financial and physical, or whatever they could give in support. Day and night, he would think of ideas on how to improve the condition of the place. Day and night, he would refresh his mind for everything he had forced to put into oblivion when he decided to go to Busan.

 

All these, he did on his own. Not because no one would help, but because he wouldn’t accept any help – if the purpose is to assist him. His defense had stayed strong. He’s not letting anyone in.

 

It didn’t take long. Soon enough, the planetarium went back to operations and a soft opening was held. The people were excited. But more than that, they were thankful to the person who wouldn’t smile, but did so much. In a town as remote as theirs, it is so rare that they get such attention.

 

Kris wouldn’t admit it, but the constant smiles and occasional tears of the locals knocked through his coldly fortified heart. But as he forced himself to believe, his resolve should stay impenetrable. He should die alone.

 

Although it would slip off his mind sometimes, he would never forget that he’s dying. Any form of attachment to anyone would be dangerous. So carefully and meticulously, Kris would grab every opportunity to remind himself of his purpose in Busan.

 

And that didn’t falter, because amidst the ocean of love the people in that town would try to give him, he still choose to feel empty.

 

Because he believes that he doesn’t deserve even a bit of it.

 

---

 

One day, as Kris was on his way to the planetarium, his disease betrayed him in the open. With heavy steps and a failing vision, he dragged himself back to his humble abode. There, he resorted to what he does usually – coiling and biting the lips – although he had decided to make use of the purpose of painkillers already.

 

Normally, that would pacify the pain; but apparently, his disease decided to take a little step further. His insides felt like being burned as he started puking everywhere. His vision was starting to blur and darken as every part of his body began to ache badly.

 

The pain was getting unbearable, and so he screamed…