Contact

Holding On

“Jinki? It’s Bong-Cha. Can I talk to my son?

“B-Bong-Cha?!” Jinki stuttered, and Jonghyun’s head snapped in the direction of the appa.

“It’s his birthday. Please.” She said, and Jinki looked uncomfortable as he motioned to Jonghyun. The birthday boy looked nervous as he moved across the living room to go to to appa, his hands in his shirt when he finally stepped onto the tile floor of the kitchen.

“Jjongie, she wants to talk to you.” Jinki said softly. “It’s...it’s up to you, if you want to, I’ll give you the phone, if you don’t, I’ll hang up.”

“I...I don’t...kn-know...” Jonghyun’s lips were shaking as he glanced back and forth between the phone and his appa.

“Bong-Cha, give me a minute.” Jinki said. She sighed.

“I only have so many of those, you know.“ She said, and he ignored her.

“Jonghyun.” Jinki said softly, reaching out to fluff his sons hair. “It’s ok if you don’t want to.”

Jonghyun swallowed hard, then slowly reached out to take the phone. It was triggering flashbacks to Sangho, trying to force him to take the phone, and when he finally pressed it to his ear he had tears on his cheeks.

“H...hello?” He said, his voice whisper-soft. He heard a sigh of relief.

“Jonghyunnie.” She said, her voice soft. “Happy birthday.”

“Th...ank...you...” He said, his voice, much like his body, trembling. Jinki wasn’t sure what to do - leave him alone, or stay where he was in case he needed him.

“Are you feeling shy? Do you know who I am?” Bong-Cha asked softly. “It’s your umma, Jjongie. Do you remember me?”

Jonghyun’s eyes widened as something flashed through his mind - a memory, connected to that voice. It was screaming - screaming at him? She was standing over him, screaming. Why was she screaming? Had he done something bad? He tried to push a little harder, trying to remember what had taken place, but nothing was coming.

“A-aniyo...” He said, biting at his lips momentarily. “Mianhaeyo..”

“It’s fine.” She said softly. “It’s been a while.”

Jonghyun didn’t respond, and he looked seriously uncomfortable to those around him. He hated the phone anyway - so why had he taken her call? The whole mess with Sangho was because he didn’t want to talk to her. The kids couldn’t wrap their heads around it, but Jinki didn’t seem nearly as confused.

“Are you having a good day?” She asked suddenly, and Jonghyun tensed slightly at her voice.

“De.” He answered,  then pressed his lips together.

“That’s good. You don’t sound very happy, though, is everything alright?” She asked, and Jonghyun suddenly pushed the phone into Jinki’s hands, shaking his head.

“Yoboseyo?” Jinki said, gently reaching out to hug Jonghyun. The eldest of his sons leaned against him easily.

“O-oh. What happened?” Bong-Chan asked. Jinki sighed.

“He has telephobia.” Jinki explained. “Severe anxiety when talking on the phone. I was surprised he even took your call.”

“I want to see him.” She said. Jonghyun tensed, and Jinki’s eyebrows went up.

“I don’t think that’s a-” He started, but she cut him off.

“He’s my son. I want to see him.” She snapped, and Jinki looked at the phone with a bit of a pissed off expression. Luna, who had been standing close enough to hear, took the phone from him.

“If he’s your son then tell me this.” Luna said. “Where are you when he gets sick? Or when he has a nightmare? When he accomplishes something? Do you know all of his medical conditions? What about his mental health conditions? Do you know his dogs name? Do you know what it looks like when he smiles? Do you know what it sounds like when he laughs? No? Then don’t call him your son, because he’s not. He’s spoken for.”

She snapped the phone shut, then held it back out to Jinki, who looked utterly stunned. Minho came into the room, his arms going around Jonghyun and pulling him away from the appa, but he didn’t care. He was too busy staring at Luna in complete and utter shock, and no small amount of admiration.

“That was...” Jinki started, but Minho cut him off.

“Amazing!” He said, and Luna blushed.

“Why didn’t you let me handle it, though?” Jinki asked, purely out of curiosity.

“Jinki...you are by far the sweetest, least confrontational person I have ever met.” Luna said. “You couldn’t have been that mean. Otherwise, I would have let you.”

“I’m not that nice.” Jinki said, blinking a few times.

“If Jonghyun told you he would like you better if you shaved your head and wore pink, you would do it.” Luna deadpanned. Taemin giggled, and Key got a mischievous look on his face.

“Appa...” Key started, and Jinki shook his head.

“I’m not going to shave my head.” He said firmly. Key pouted.

“Hey, guys?” Minho said. They all looked over at him, their eyes flickering to a visibly more relaxed Jonghyun in his arms on occasion. “We kind of have a movie to catch. And reservations. we should probably get ready.“

“Right, right.” Jinki said, nodding. He suddenly bent down and lifted Taemin over his shoulder, then caught Key the same way on his other shoulder.

“What are you doing?” Luna asked, unable to keep the laughter from her voice. Jinki tilted his head.


 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Jinki said, then turned and headed up the stairs with Taemin and Key giggling like mad men on his shoulders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's short, I know, but...again, I'm struggling a bit to write. I think I'm just tired. I don't know. :/