Anticipation

Holding On

Minho sat quietly on the edge of his bed. He had finished up his testing, and he was about halfway through packing up to go home a few hours later, but he had a bad feeling in his gut. He pulled out his phone, absent-mindedly punching in the numbers that would connect him to Jonghyun. He pressed the phone to his ear, then let out a sound of pure frustration when he was connected to the elder’s voicemail. Again.


He snapped the phone shut, then flipped it open again, this time scrolling through his contacts to find Taemin. Key had never answered his text the day before, and Minho just assumed he was still sore over being called a princess. After seven rings, he was connected to the maknae’s voicemail. He hit the end button with more force than necessary, then called the appa.

When Jinki didn’t pick up Minho’s sudden frustration, and maybe even...anger?...died down to pure worry. Why weren’t they answering? It was so unusual...they were all so close. Even after a fight, Key would always be there for Minho, and even he hadn’t answered the frantic texts he’d been sending. He squirmed uncomfortably, then dialed Key’s number, hoping for some sort of answer. When, after three rings, he was forwarded to voicemail, he nearly threw his phone.

He got up, packing his things with more force than necessary. What if something was really wrong? And none of them were answering their damned phones. For all they knew, Minho could be dying in a ditch somewhere, using the last of his strength to call for help. He knew he was being ridiculous, but it was easier to be angry for the next few hours, than to worry endlessly until he got home.

And that was just it, anyway. He was going home today. So he would know soon enough. He would be able to talk to Jonghyun, and ask him what had been going on inside his confusing little head. He would be able to talk to Key, and apologize for the comment. He would be able to talk to Taemin, and see how the maknae had faired without him there. He would be able to ask his appa about this mysterious woman he had allegedly been seeing.

For the most part, he had to admit to himself, he wasn’t terribly interested in this mystery woman, nor did he care if Key’s ego got a little bruised, but he knew he had to psych himself up. He’d been having strange nightmares where he couldn’t find Jonghyun for the last two nights, and he just wanted to go home and remind himself that Jonghyun was right where he belonged. Jinki would never let anything happen to him.

Bags completely packed, Minho flopped back on his bed again. The more Jonghyun had shut himself off from Minho in their time apart, the more Minho had shut himself off from various people attempting to be his friends at the camp. Now, though, Minho was finding himself wishing that he had been a bit more social, if only so he wouldn’t feel so utterly alone in that moment.

He put a hand over his face, then took a slow breath in through his nose, and back out through his mouth. He pulled his phone back out of his pocket, and dialed Jonghyun’s number again, not even bothering to get upset when it went right to voicemail. He waited through Jonghyun’s slightly alarmed-sounding voicemail (he really had not wanted anything to do with it), then waited patiently for the beep that came at the end.

“Yeobo, it’s me...Minho.” He said, then sighed. “I’m coming home today, so it’s silly for me to leave you this. I don’t know what’s wrong with me today. I guess I just miss you, and I can’t wait to come home and see you. We’ll go for a walk when I get home, ok? Just me, you, and Roo. Saranghae, Jjongie.”

He hung up, feeling a little bit better, but not much. Part of him wanted to call the others again and again until someone answered, just so he could demand to know what the hell was going on. But another, bigger part of him knew that he would only end up upsetting at least one person in the house, and besides...his time was better spent thinking about his boyfriend.

It seemed absolutely impossible to love someone so much, but he did. He felt like his heart could shatter, then repair itself a million times over, and it would be fine as long as it was because of Jonghyun. He had never had a relationship like this before. He wasn’t sure who needed who more most of the time, but in the end it didn’t matter. If Minho needed Jonghyun by his side, Jonghyun was there, just the same as Minho did for the older boy.

It was more than companionship though. Boyfriend wasn’t a powerful enough term for what Jonghyun was to him, but then...what was? Lover? Soul mate? No, those were too cheesy, and far too impersonal. Jonghyun was his other half, his better half. He was incomplete when left to his own devices, and while there had been a few people in his life who claimed to be a perfect fit - the missing piece, as it were - none of them could compare to Jonghyun.

Physically, mentally, emotionally - they fit together like yin and yang. They balanced each other, they completed each other, and in their own very strange way, they matched. There was no real need to explain anything to one another, because they already understood. To some people, talking was what got them through. For Jonghyun and Minho, though? It was stressful, it was confusing, it was draining, and no matter what they said...it never came out right.

Never once had they fought. Sure, they had gotten upset with each other, needed to take a few minutes, maybe an hour or two, to collect themselves and calm down before they would come back and handle the problem - but they always did. It’s not so scary trying to fix something when you’ve got someone by your side.

But somehow, this train of thought was making Minho sad. Yes, he found life much easier with Jonghyun by his side. He loved the feel of Jonghyun’s palm pressed against his chest as they lay in bed, waiting for sleep to come. He loved staying awake just a little bit longer, just to watch the peaceful expression unfurl itself and make its impression. He loved just about anything to do with Jonghyun, and Jonghyun being there with him. Emotionally, physically, mentally...just as long as he was there.

And that was what was upsetting Minho the most right then. Where was Jonghyun?

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I know, its short as hell, but...I'm moving this weekend. Like. By Saturday, and even if we push it off for a few days, my internet in this house is already preset to disconnect on the 16 at 3 AM, so I'm working as hard as I can to get you to chapter 26 (my goal is ACTUALLY 27, but 26 will suffice for now if need be) by like...Friday. I understand the need for a little angst relief, and I promise, it's coming. So, please enjoy this chapter. It's about 3 hours past my bedtime now, but I stayed up writing because I love you guys and I feel bad about all the angst. x.x

Long authors note is going to end here, but let this be proof of how tired I am. I always overexplain when I'm tired.