It's Called Love

Holding On

 

Minho had been in the middle of a soccer game when his phone began vibrating against his thigh. At first, he thought it was a text, but he was surprised when it vibrated a second time, indicating a phone call. He held up his hands, calling a timeout, then pulled his phone from his pocket. He was more than a little surprised when he saw Jonghyun’s name as the ID.

“Jonghyun?” He panted as he pressed the phone to his ear. He heard his boyfriend sniffle in response. “What’s the matter, yeobo?”

“N-nothing really.” Jonghyun insisted. Minho’s eyebrows pulled together, and he waved off the other campers questions. “I just miss you.”

“I miss you too.” He said softly. “Are you having a bad day?”

“A little.” Jonghyun confirmed.

“Did anything happen, or did you just get upset?” Minho asked. Jonghyun took his time answering, but Minho wasn’t surprised or bothered by it. The boy hated talking on the phone, and it only really showed how upset he was that he had called.

“I just got upset. I’ve been having bad dreams, so I guess I’m just overtired.” Jonghyun said. Minho nodded slightly to himself. He wanted to be there for Jonghyun, and it frustrated him that he couldn’t be.

“Maybe it’s because you’re not used to sleeping by yourself anymore.” Minho said softly. “You have your practice test tomorrow, right? You need to get a good nights sleep tonight, so you should ask Key and Taemin if you can sleep in their room.”

“Ok.” Jonghyun said, the sniffling fading away. Minho smiled softly.

“Are you feeling better now?” Minho asked.

“De.” He said, sounding much calmer. “I’m gonna go watch a movie with everyone, ok? I-I love you.”

“I love you too.” He said. He pulled his phone away from his ear, hanging up and slipping it back into his pocket before turning around to look at everyone who was staring at him. “What?”

“You’re whipped.” One of his roommates said. Minho rolled his eyes.

“Can we just play the game?” Minho asked.

“Well that depends. Are you expecting any more phone calls from your yeobo?” One of the other kids asked, mocking Minho’s voice at the end. There was a chorus of laughter, and Minho waved them off.

“What’s his issue anyway? He can’t sleep without you there to protect him?” Another kid jumped in. Minho’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

“Cut it out.” He said sharply.

“Oh, you hit a soft spot.” The original speaker said, laughing.

“You don’t know a damned thing about him.” Minho said, and the smile slowly fell off his roommates face. “That boy has been through more in the last six months than you will ever have to deal with in your life.”

“Woah, man, chill out. We were just playing around.” He said, backing up slightly.

“It’s not funny.” Minho said.

“Why are you so worked up about this?” He asked. Minho sighed, shaking his head.

“Because I love him?” Minho said, raising a brow. “Did you miss that part?”

“Why are you being such an all of a sudden? Let’s just play, ok?” He said. The others began nodding in agreement, and Minho shook his head.

“You play. I’m all set.” He said, turning and walking off the field.

---------------------------------

Later on that night Minho found himself staring into the mirror, trying to make himself look presentable enough to take the picture Jonghyun had asked for. After a few minutes, though, he gave it up as a lost cause and sighed. He held his phone up, smiling widely and pressing the shutter button. When he looked at the picture he had taken he shuddered. Was his smile always this creepy? He deleted the picture, then focused on making his smile smaller before taking another picture.

“Much better.” He mumbled to himself, nodding as he sent the picture to Jonghyun and went back to his room. His roommates hadn’t said much to him after his blow up, and it was awkwardly silent when he returned. He sighed, taking a seat on his bed. A few minutes later his phone went off, and he knitted his eyebrows together in confusion when he saw that Taemin was calling him. He pressed the phone to his ear. “Yoboseyo?”

“Minho.” Taemin said, sounding like he had picked up Key’s flair for the dramatics. “You need to do something about this boy.”

“Yah! I’m your hyung! Be respectful!” He heard Jonghyun yelling in the background, and he snorted involuntarily. He brought his hand up to cover his mouth, still smiling as he listened.

“Minho, he’s being completely impossible.” Taemin declared.

“Alright, ‘Minnie, what’s he doing?” Minho asked.

“Key picked out his outfits for the week, but he refuses to wear tomorrow’s.” Taemin said. Minho ran his hand through his hair, an amused expression on his face.

“Let me guess. The green shirt and the ripped jeans?” He said.

“Exactly.” Taemin said. Minho rolled his eyes.

“The jeans are too tight since he started working out, and that shirt has a small head hole. It makes him feel like he’s choking.” Minho explained. Taemin stayed quiet for a moment.

“Oh.” He said softly.

“I tried to tell you, but you wouldn’t listen to me.” Jonghyun’s voice drifted in again. Minho sighed.

“If he doesn’t want to wear something don’t try to make him.” He said.

“If we didn’t pick his clothes for him, he would - ” Taemin started, and Minho cut him off.

“I know. He would just wear the first thing he finds, and it doesn’t always look good.” Minho said. “But he’s not a little kid. He’s your hyung, so if he says no, then no is the answer. Arasso?”

“Arasso.” Taemin mumbled.

“Alright. Is he staying in your room tonight?” Minho asked.

“De.” Taemin confirmed. “We’re getting ready for bed now.”

“Ok. Goodnight then, Taemin. Tell Jonghyun I love him.” He said. Taemin sighed.

“I will. Goodnight.” He said.

Minho hung up, then threw himself back on his bed. As much as he loved Taemin and Key, he couldn’t help but worry about leaving Jonghyun in their hands. Even Taemin could be a bit extreme at times.

“Are you his boyfriend or his mother?” His roommate asked. Minho sat up slowly.

“Bwo?” He asked, his eyes narrowing.

“You have to pick out his clothes? You know his sizes? Come on. It sounded like you were talking about a toddler, not someone you .” The other boy commented, shrugging.

“I don’t know what you think a relationship is about, but last time I checked it was about being comfortable with someone and making them happy.” Minho said.

“Whatever, dude. You go on ahead and enjoy that so-called relationship. The rest of us will stick to reality.” He said, holding up his hands. “Try not to take it too hard when he grows up and leaves your .”

“You’re unbelievable.” Minho all but spat the words at the other.

“What makes you think I’m wrong?” He asked.

“Something called...oh what was it? Love.” Minho said, raising his lip. “You don’t know a single thing about me or him. So keep your comments to yourself.”

The other boy actually looked shocked at Minho’s words. He was generally really friendly and easy going, not even flinching when the others made him the of their jokes, but there was something about this boy that turned him into such a defensive creature. When he calmed down, he would have to make a note to ask him about it. For now, though, he wanted to steer clear of the subject. No point in getting his face broken in.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys~
 

I'm completely in love with the fact that there have been so many comments coming in! Really, it's been making me so happy. Maybe I should've mentioned my love of feedback sooner?
Moving on, I decided to actually take a minute and respond to a few of the ones I read, because when I saw them I found I actually had something to say. Not to say that I don't think about what you guys are saying, but these ones made me want to...I dunno, clear a few things up? So, here we go!

 

Jongho-obsessed: I'm sorry D: It's not that I want to play with your nerves, it's that...well, when I wrote Finding Home, they only really dealt with small issues. But nothing in life really goes that smoothly, you know? There has to be some turbulence somewhere in the story line, be it an angsty sequel or whatever else.
 

JongkeyShipper08: I know you commented on chapter 4, and I feel bad for taking so long to respond, but..well...I'm lazy sometimes. D: About Jonghyun not being able to make his own decisions - He's 16, and realistically speaking, he had to grow up much faster than he was supposed to - they all did. Jonghyun was living alone for 3 years on the streets, completely fending for himself. So, he really would know if it was a good or bad decision for himself to go off with this man. I know he has a severe anxiety disorder, and I know he has just as bad of an attachment disorder, but that's kind of why Jinki gave him the choice. They've all been babying Jonghyun a lot, and so none of them are really sure where he's at as far as his mental health goes - Key commented on that, actually. Either way, though, everything worked out just fine~


As for everyone else: The comments about Sangho, and how everyone feels about him. I hate him too. I didn't originally plan for him to be such a nasty character. He was intended to have a short appearance in Finding Home, actually, but I came up with this idea and ran with it, and I ended up liking it so much that I changed a few things around to make it work. This is the first fic I have done on here with a carefully planned outline that I'm sticking to like it's my job, and I don't want to give away too much here, but I will say this:
 

Sangho's role in this story is not over. Not even close, and by the end of this fic, you'll want him dead.


Buuuuuuuuut, being that I'm a er for happy endings, please do not give up on me. Things will get better, they just have to get a little worse first.