02

His Happily Ever After

 

“Mr. Kwon, we’ve been expecting you,” Doctor Lee said and gestured Jiyong to sit in front of him.

“So just cut the bull, when will I die?” Jiyong asked calmly, even though he was asking something as terrifying as death.

Doctor Lee could only smile apologetically, he was used to Jiyong’s behavior. He was his father’s best friend after all. He practically had seen Jiyong grew up from a little boy to a top notch music producer he was now. He had seen it all.

“Jiyong, you need to calm down,” Doctor Lee tried to calmed Jiyong down.

“Uncle Lee, just tell me the truth. I’m tired of hearing the same thing all over again. I know I’ll be dead eventually, why faking it?” Jiyong snapped.

Doctor Lee then starting to opened a file, it contained all of Jiyong’s health records. His treatments, medicines, etc. And then he gestured Jiyong to listen closely.

“Okay Jiyong if that’s what you want. Your body has already stopped responding to treatments. Chemotheraphy, well didn’t work for you. And the new types of treatment as well. Approximately you got 3 months to live.” Doctor Lee explained, being careful with his tone. He hated doing this, especially to Jiyong, his late friend’s son who he already thought as his own son.

On the other side, Jiyong was silent. He was trying to comprehend all this news. It wasn’t something he didn’t expect before. He knew sooner or later this cancer will kill him. He was already on the 4th stadium and he knew that all the treatments and therapies he did weren’t working.

“So, what should I do, Uncle?” He asked, a sign of desperation could be seen in his eyes. He was lost. Even though he seemed to be strong about all of this, he was still scared. Scared to dace God, scared of death.

“Use your time wisely, Son. Do things that you really want. Ask for forgiveness to all the people you may have hurt. It’s up to you, Jiyong.” Doctor Lee answered wisely.

“Thank you, Uncle,” Jiyong got up and hugged his Doctor and Uncle.

“Really Uncle, thank you for everything.” He said and left the room.

--

Jiyong walked aimlessly around the hospital’s park. He thought about everything, his life, his career, his friends. About his family, he actually felt glad. If he dies, he’ll be able to meet his parents who were already passed away.

So at least that’s one thing good about dying. He thought to himself.

It seemed like yesterday when he found out that he had brain cancer. But actually, it was a month agao and it was already too late. He found out when he was already in the 4th stadium. The doctors could only help a little. And the fact that his body didn’t respond to any of the treatments made it worse.

Jiyong found a bench and sit on it. He looked up to the night sky, searching for an answer for nothing. At first, he asked God, even got mad at Him for giving him this sickness. But now, he was grateful for all of that. He didn’t have anything to complain about.

If it’s my time, so... be it. He thought to himself again.

His producing career... Yes, he was sad about it. Because music was his oxygen, he loved music so much. And it kept him going for he didn’t know how long. He have to leave his oxygen, but he have already let it go.

Suddenly his phone rang, showing a name of a girl. He picked up on the 3rd ring.

“Jiyong! Where are you? Can we meet? I have a big news to tell you!” Her voice sounded overly excited. Making Jiyong smiled.

“I’m at... a park. Hmm sure, and I have a big news to tell you to, Rabbit. But can we meet tomorrow? It’s too late to meet right now.” He explained, smiling all the way through the phone call.

After making plan to meet up, he hung up. He smiled, excited to hear her big news, while worrying about telling her his big news. He could only hope for the best, right? He put his phone on his pocket and started to walk away from the bench.