03

His Happily Ever After

Jiyong walked to the coffee shop, searching for his rabbit best friend. He didn't have to look longer, since there was a hand waving excitedly at him. On the corner of the coffee shop, there was Dara, his best friend.

"Hi Ji, how are things?" Dara asked excitedly.

How are things to Jiyong? Well, he wanted to answer 'bad, awful, I'm going to die soon, so goodbye.. etc' but Dara didn't even know he was sick, no one except Doctor Lee knew. So he went on and faked a smile. Pretending everything was alright, perfectly fine.

"I'm good, just got a bit skinnier. And you? Feeling all excited today, huh?" Jiyong replied playfully. There was something odd about his best friend's excitement, the last time she was this excited was when Seunghyun asked her out. Or could it be...?

"Ji, you should eat! Seriously, I don't want to have a stick as a best friend!" Dara smacked Jiyong arm playfully. She was indeed concerned about her best friend. He was getting skinnier every time she met him. He said it was just all because of his work stress and he didn't have time to eat, but Dara smelled something was fishy about Jiyong. But, she let it go.

Jiyong only smiled in reply. If only Dara knew what was happening to his body, maybe... She won't act freely like this. But that was what he wanted. He didn' want people to act differently towards him, just because he was sick. That was one of the reasons he didn't tell anyone about his sickness. He reasoned out to people that he was in need of a holiday, or simply just losing appetite in eating.

"So Ji, you have big news to tell me right? What is it?" Dara asked while sipping her coffee.

"Ah, you haven't even ordered anything! Ji, I'm sorry! What do you want? I'll pay for you today, since I'm so happy!" Dara exclaimed cheerfully.

Jiyong can't have coffee, so he declined the offer politely, saying that he has just been to a coffee shop before going here. What a liar, Jiyong thought to himself. So he decided to order mineral water instead.

"Alright, rabbit. You seemed so excited about this 'news'. Care to share it to your dragon?" Jiyong asked playfully. He used their pet names, to divert the topic from his news. And it seemed to worked because Dara was blushing, as red as a ripe tomato. She shyly lifted her left hand.

"Seunghyun proposed to me last night, and I said yes.. I'm going to get married, dragon," Dara answered and showed Jiyong her ring.

Jiyong was undoubtedly speechless. He knew this was bound to happen eventually, but not now. Not when he was dying, not when he was about to... Told her his true feelings. But, what can he do? Dara loved Seunghyun, and so did Seunghyun. They were the perfect couple. And him? He was just Dara's best friend, nothing more, nothing less. He should be happy for his best friend. 

"Congratulations, Dara. So when's the big day?" Jiyong said, trying to look happy.

Dara didn't catch the slight sad tone in Jiyong's voice. She was way too happy about her engagement and her upcoming wedding. And the fact that Jiyong already knew by now, added to her happiness. She needed Jiyong to know, her best friend needed to know first. Because she didn't have any family member to share this happy news with. Jiyong was the closest thing she had of a family.

"I don't know, maybe six months from now? He just proposed last night, Ji! It takes a lot of preparations to make a perfect wedding. Oh God, did I already sound like a bridezilla?" Dara explained. Getting lost in her own excitement.

Jiyong on the other side, was dead silent. He was thinking hard. He only had three months to live, and his best friend or his love, will be married in six months time. He wasn't sure he could make it, but he didn't want to make Dara sad. Especially because of his death.

"Can you make it three months from now?" Jiyong asked, trying to keep his tone far from sadness and worry.

"Why? Ji, you know it's hard to prepare a wedding. And now you're asking me to make it three months faster?" Dara snapped back.

Jiyong can't said the real reason. He have to lied, again. He never liked lying, but he can't tell Dara the truth, not right now. He can't just tell Dara that he was dying and only got three months to live. He was far more clever than that.

"After the next two or three months, I'll be moving. So I don't think I can make it to your wedding, rabbit," Jiyong explained. He wasn't lying, he'll be moving from this country, or to be painfully precise from this world.

"To where? Oh God, Ji! Why didn't you tell me?" Dara panicked right away.

"The States, maybe I'm not sure. But it will be outside of Korea. It's in three months for sure. By the way, that was my big news." Jiyong explained coolly, while trying to ease his own worry. He hoped Dara will consider his wish.

"Why Ji? You want to leave me alone? What a best friend you are," Dara was angry. How could Jiyong told her that he'll move somewhere far without being sad? While her, she was devastated. Didn't he feel anything, or even a tad bit of sadness because of leaving? Leaving her?

"Dara.. Rabbit.. I don't mean it that way. We could still communicate, text messages, calling each other, emails, video call, anything! I have to move because..." Jiyong thought about it a bit. Another lie, he thought to himself.

"What, why?" Dara snapped back. Trying to hold back her tears.

"I got an offer from a big recording label in The US to produce there," Jiyong lied again, smoothly.

Dara was shocked. The Jiyong she knew never wanted to leave Korea just because another job was waiting for him. Jiyong once said to her that he wanted to revolutionize Korea's music industry, so that was why he rejected all of the offers to be a music producer outside Korea. Jiyong was talented, there were lots of recording label who wanted his works, his art. But the stubborn Jiyong stayed true to his promise. And it left Dara wondering, why Jiyong forgot his promise?

"I thought you wanted to change Korea's music industry... I thought you promise..." Dara whispered softly. But Jiyong caught it.

Jiyong then held Dara's hand, feeling a bump because of the ring. He have to let go, he did say it to himself back home. He have to let go of Dara. He gave Dara's hand a light squeeze.

"People change, Dara. And so am I. But my status as your best friend, won't change, ever. Even though I'll move to US or anywhere in the world, I'm still just a phone call away. I'll be there for you anytime you needs me, rabbit. Don't worry." Jiyong said with a smile.

Dara couldn't help the tears that fell to her cheeks. The tears were a mixture of her sadness, happiness, gratefulness, everything about her Jiyong. She can't lose Jiyong, she wasn't strong enough. Jiyong was like her support system. They were both orphans, they shared the same struggle, they shared tears and laughters together. And now, why Dara felt that she'll lose Jiyong forever?

Jiyong then moved to hugged Dara. His heart was clenching as well. If only he could tell Dara the truth, but his selfish side won't let him. He loved Dara too much to told her the truth. She'll be getting married soon, a news of him dying will ruin it all. It wasn't important.

"Ji, I'll make my wedding three months from now. Pinky promise you'll help me with everything?" Dara pouted and hold up her pinky finger.

"I promise."