Boy Hunting II (continuation)

Guts

 “Yo, what’s up man!?”

Kris cringed at how loud the voice on the other line was. He put a distance between his phone and himself before placing it back against his ear.

“What do you want?”

“Dude, where are you? I’ve been looking for you for like, ten minutes already!”

He rolled his eyes, crossing his legs under the table and leaning back on the chair. “Can you please tone your voice down, Chanyeol? I can hear you perfectly fine without you shouting.”

“Oh, oops. Sorry, man. I’m just so hyped up right now.” Kris can practically hear the younger boy smile through the receiver. “So where are you?”

Kris sighed wearily, the hard cover of the history book he was reading. Until, that is, Chanyeol decided to call. “At the library, studying.”

“What!?” He was shouting again. “Of all the things you can do after school, you study?

“What’s it to you?”

“What’s it to me? You’re supposed to hang out with friends after school, not that studying BS.”

He sighed. “Unlike you, I care about my grades. Maybe if you do the same you’ll actually excel in something other than basketball.”

“Damn you!” he feigned a hurt voice. “How could you say that? And here I thought you were my homie.”

“Please just shut the hell up.”

“So I was wondering,” Chanyeol started. “Would you mind helping me out tomorrow night?”

Kris glared at the bookshelves in front of him. The boy was wasting his time. “I’m busy tomorrow.”

“On a Friday night? You’re kidding me, right?”

“I’m not.”

“No, you are! Of course you are,” Chanyeol said a matter-of-factly. “Now, tomorrow you’ll be going with me to the Bistro Café to meet up with somebody real quick. And then we’ll hang out after!”

He raised a brow. “Who are you meeting up with, exactly?”

“Oh, this girl I met. Just going to discuss some important matters between us.”

“She’s not pregnant, is she?”

“Wha-No! The hell’s wrong with you!?”

“I’m not going. I have a history test on Monday and I’d rather waste my time studying for that,” Kris said, looking out the tall window beside him. Students were being dismissed, and it wasn’t going to be long before the library gets packed, too.

“C’mon, Krissy, stop being a such a kill-joy,” he cooed.

“What the did you just call me-”

“Please? Just come with me! We’ll head to the arcade right away and then maybe get some boba after. Sound good?”

“You did not just call me that, Park Chanyeol.”

“Oh, get over it Wufan! Just say yes and you can do whatever the hell you want!”

No.” Can’t this guy just give him a break and let him study in peace?

“Look out the window, Krissy.”

“Huh?” Puzzled, Kris did what he was told.

“What the-” he exclaimed, backing away from the window. There, leaning against the glass was no other than Chanyeol, making kissing faces at him.

The other students inside the library noticed the boy outside, snickering at the sight. It was not long before the librarian saw him as well.

“Stop, you fool! You look like a !” he hissed, burying his head into a book as if it’ll hide his embarrassment.

“Not until you say yes, Krissy!”

“Okay, okay, yes! Now stop it and at least have dignity, you idiot!”

When the only thing he could hear from his phone was Chanyeol’s crazy laughter, he looked up. The boy was nowhere to be found. Confused, he looked around the room only to be met face to face with the school librarian, glaring at him through her specs.

Kris ran a hand through his face. That immature brat.

- - - - -

Hyerin observed Kim Minseok across the campus, thinking of ways to get him out of his circle of friends. Sure, she could just walk up to them and excuse the boy, but she really didn’t want any attention from the rowdy group.  From the looks of it, they were thoroughly immersed in whatever Minseok was telling them, reacting wildly or laughing hysterically with him.

She placed a finger on her lower lip, squinting as she pondered over what she was going to do. He and his companions were out in the open, situated under a tree near the admissions office. She couldn’t just grab him unnoticed as people were walking by and his friends were there.

I guess I have no choice. Sighing, she walked towards the noisy group and set a wide grin on her face.

Once she was only a few feet away, one of the boys in the circle looked up. Hyerin, in return, bowed slightly to him.

“Ooh, who’s this?”

Soon, everyone’s heads turned to her, including her target.

“Hi. I’m looking for Xiumin?” she said, faking uncertainty.

“Aww, man! You again!?”

“It’s always you who gets the girls!”

“Leave some for us, Kim Minseok!”

“Now, now, gentlemen. No need to fret,” he said breezily, putting his hands up. “You’ll get your spotlight.” He chuckled, standing up from his leaning position under the tree to face her. “What can I do for you?”

“I’m Kim Hyerin. Can I speak with you in private?” she asked, placing her hands behind her back.

“Of course, absolutely.” He glanced back at his comrades. “I’ll be back,” he said, then led her to the back of the office building.

“So, what do you need me for, Kim Hyerin?” he asked, smiling cheekily.

She shoved her hands inside her skirt pockets, then shrugged. “I know it’s weird that I’m asking you this since we barely know each other,” she started, “but I heard you know the best places in town to party.”

He seemed proud of his reputation. “Yeah. I know all the party districts in the city like the back of my hand Why’d you ask?”

“Oh. Just a couple of friends and I want to go out.” She shrugged. “But you know, too young for the fun.”

Xiumin nodded at this, folding his arms. “Ah, I see. You don’t seem like the bad girl type,” he teased.

Hyerin grinned. “I’ve never really been a good girl anyway.”

“So when do you plan on going exactly?”

“This Friday night, probably. Around eight-thirty. So can you hook us up?”

“Hell yeah. Where do you want to go? Like a bar or a club? Warehouse party maybe?”

She shrugged. “Up to you. Surprise me.”

“Awesome, I know exactly where to take you! I have connections so it would be a piece of cake,” he said, nodding.

“Sounds good!” She was shocked at how easy that was. “Thanks, Xiumin.”

“No problem. I’ll see you then, Hyerin.” He raised his palm up and it took her a second to realize he was asking for a high-five. After that, he sauntered back to his friends. 

She didn’t expect Xiumin to be so easy, but seeing the crowd he was a part of and his laid-back demeanor, he was probably used to strangers approaching him to hook them up. Still, she didn't expect someone so quirky and baby-faced like him to be well acquainted to Seoul’s night life. She didn’t complain, though – he was probably the easiest one of her targets.

- - - - -

Hyerin walked towards the school gates, ready to go home.

“So goddamn tired,” she grumbled to herself as she rubbed her eye. She disinterestedly glanced around the campus, then halted in her steps when she caught sight of a familiar face staring at her from afar.

Maybe I should try again. Maybe this time, he’ll understand the situation better. At once, Hyerin headed to where the boy stood.

Chen’s eyes widened as he watched the girl jog towards him. “Does she not know when to give up?” he groaned silently, turning around to leave.

“Chen! Wait!” Hyerin grabbed his shoulder and forcefully spun him around.

Chen sighed, rubbing his forehead. “What did I say, Hyerin? I told you to leave me alone-”

“Have you even thought about it thoroughly? Have you, Chen? At least once?” she questioned, staring at him intently.

“I should say the same for you! I think out of the two of us, you’re the one who hasn’t been thinking things exhaustively.”

“My mind is set on doing this mission, and I’m planning to accomplish it,” she said, clenching her fists. “Unfortunately, that won’t happen if you don’t cooperate.”

“Great, we're the same. My mind is set on what I believed in since the beginning.”

“C’mon, Chen!” she exclaimed, stomping her feet from frustration. “Why are you like this? You’re being so freaking–ugh! I don’t even know anymore! It’s like you don’t trust me enough on this!”

“If it hasn’t dawned on you yet, that place is dangerous. Going there—it’s like digging your own grave,” he hissed, leaning forward. “And I value my life more than anything, Hyerin. Maybe you should re-think all this and how you’re going to change everyone’s lives. Don’t you think that those people you’re deceiving want to keep everything the way it is, too?”

“This is for the better, Chen. I know it is. Don’t you think there’s a reason why they want you so bad?”

“Whatever that reason is, I don’t want to think about it,” he said, straightening up. “Aren’t you even the least bit scared? Tell me, aren’t you?”

Hyerin wearily ran a hand through her face, looking to the side before facing him again. “No. You may think I’m lying, but really, I’m not. I just–” 

She paused, sighing. “I just want to do this so bad. She wants me to finish what she left behind. At least that, I want to accomplish.” She shrugged helplessly. “This is the only thing my mother left for me.” Hyerin looked down on her shoes as it dawned to her. Her mother didn’t leave anything for her to own—no money, no land, no fortune. Then out of nowhere this bizarre remnant of her mother was thrown directly her way, waiting for her to explore it. And she wanted to, but not without the help of these twelve people. Hyerin realized the trap that she was luring these boys into for the sake of her selfishness.

Chen’s eyes imperceptibly softened as he stared at the girl in front of her.

She have him a pleading look. “I can assure you that my mom is a good person. If she thinks this is a bad idea she wouldn’t do it,” she quietly said, stepping closer to him.

She placed a hand on his arm. “Please, Chen. If my mom thinks this is something good for me, then maybe it’s good for you, too. Maybe there’s something big waiting for you out there at M-LX. Just please, trust me on this.” She squeezed his arm before letting go.

“Think about it,” she whispered.