Their Lives

Guts

“What an amazing hit right there!” the announcer's voice boomed throughout the field. “Player number twelve Kim Jongin hits a home run, everybody! Wow!” He cheered along with the many Yeongnam High School students as the said player abandoned his baseball bat and ran through the bases until he reached the last one. With that, everyone shouted with joy and jumped in their seats.

“I am proud to present to you this season's winning team for the District Baseball Championships, the Yeongnam Tigers!”

The team then lunged at their star player, Number Twelve, and gave him playful punches and excited hugs.

“We won! We ing won!” Number Five exclaimed, jumping around the field. “And you're the culprit, you bastard Jongin!”

Said boy laughed at his teammate. “You're welcome, Jaesuk,” he said, heading back inside their quarters. “And by the way, it's Kai,” he pointed out. Jaesuk snickered, shaking his head good-naturedly at the boy.

The cheering never stopped even as Kai was walking across the field to leave. He wearily took off his baseball cap, sweeping his dark, wet hair to the side and successfully making some freshman girls at the bleachers squeal excitedly at the sight. He took notice of that and waved at them with an airy grin.

When he got inside the quarters, he was greeted by a large pair of arms tackling him.

His eyes widened with surprise as his two friends excitedly shouted at his ear.

“Dude, that was awesome!”

Kai raised a brow, ing his baseball uniform. “What? I can't hear you.” he shouted over the cheering crowd. 

“I said you were awesome out there!” the tall one exclaimed.

“What!?” 

“You killed it out there, man!” the other one with the round cheeks said.

“Huh!?” he asked, playfully furrowing his eyebrows.

“You did great!” they shouted in unison.

"Ohhh." Kai nodded slowly, his mouth forming an ‘O’ as if finally understanding what they were saying. “Right. Sorry. I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am,” he cockily said, referring to the loud hoots of the people outside. With that, he earned a few playful punches on the arm from the two.

 

The three of them exited the quarters and headed towards the locker room while still conversing about the game.

“Did you guys just come from practice?” Kai asked, finishing the contents of his water bottle. “How are the new players in the basketball team, Chanyeol?”

The tall one looked up from his phone. “A pain in the . I still can't believe coach let them in the team. Like, some of them can't even do a proper layup.” He sighed in frustration. “Xiumin here saw some of them, right?”

The chubby-faced boy nodded. “Yeah, but not compared to our soccer team. Our defense is going to be pretty weak this year, I guess.” He shrugged. “But hey, they still have me and a couple of seniors,” he added smugly.

Kai abruptly looked over to Chanyeol's side. “Wait, where's-”

“Still at the gym, working out,” Xiumin said, knowing exactly who Kai was referring to. “Seriously, that guy has a major obsession with training.”

“We should go pick him up on the way to class then,” Chanyeol said, putting away his phone.

“Not until we shower and change, though,” Kai said, suddenly running away from the two. “Last one to the locker room has a limp !”

 

- - - - - 

 

“You know, I seriously hate it when all these freshmen hog the showers! Like, do that when you're pretty good with the sport you're doing, right? Right?” Chanyeol complained, leaving the locker rooms and heading towards the gym where the boxing team trained. “Or at least let your seniors go first! As a sign of respect, you know?”

Kai scoffed, fixing his uniform's collar. “What's with you and freshmen?”

“They're annoying!” Chanyeol retorted.

“No, your hot temper is just getting to you. I actually think some of them are cute!” Xiumin exclaimed, waving to some students who flocked by them. “If anyone is annoying, bro, it would be you,” he teased but soon regretted it when Chanyeol jabbed his side with an elbow. Kai laughed.

“Ow, you son of a-”

“Go fall in a hole and die,” Chanyeol sneered, pushing the doors open to the fitness gym.

 

Inside was a large room full of gym equipment and students working out. In the middle was a ring, occupied by some of the members of the boxing team as they waited for their turn with the trainer. It reeked of sweat, but the usual gym-goers seemed to have gotten accustomed to the smell already.

“There he is.” Xiumin pointed to the corner far away from the ring where some of the weight racks were found. Beside it was a guy with ebony hair in a white A-shirt, throwing rapid punches at a speed bag that hung a bit higher than his head. His face contorted in concentration and aggression as he swung and swung at the red ball like there was no tomorrow.

Grinning, the three ran towards the boy. “Looking good there, Kyungsoo!”

“Take a break a little, will you?” Kai laughed.

The boy abruptly stopped and held onto the speed bag to avoid it from hitting him in the face. He then turned to the three, trying to level his breathing.

“Oh, hey.” He headed over to them, high-fiving Kai and Chanyeol while Xiumin patted his head.

“Seriously, man! Are you addicted to working out every damned day?” Chanyeol asked as he watched Kyungsoo take off the tape and gauze wrapped around the middle of his hand down to his wrists. He threw it away at a nearby trashcan and wiped the beads of sweat on his forehead as they all headed back outside.

“I need to so I can kick Gangnam High’s pompous little ,” he deadpanned. The others laughed.

“Damn right! The Gangnam Bears lost to us at baseball, actually,” Xiumin said, giving Kai a knowing look and a playful shove. “Mister Kim Jongin here is the culprit.”

Kyungsoo's eyes rounded to the size of dinner plates as he tackled the boy into a headlock. “You're freaking amazing, Jongin!”

“It's Kai!” he grumbled, but laughed along anyway.

“So what's all the ruckus about?”

Four pairs of eyes looked up to see a tall boy with damp blonde locks, entering the gym when they were about to head out. He wore baggy swimming trunks and slippers, his white shirt sticking to his wet body and a pair of too-tight speedo goggles raised up to his forehead.

Xiumin rolled his eyes as they approached him. “Well apparently, Kai won us at the Tigers versus Bears game and D.O. got all excited over it, but on another note, must you always look like an Abercrombie model whenever we see you?” he asked, teasing, as he flung his arm around the guy.

“Wait, wha-”

Xiumin backed away once he felt his sleeve get wet. “What the are you doing here all wet, Kris!?” he exclaimed, while the others laughed at him.

He raised his brow. “Swimming practice just ended and I was looking for you guys. I figured you were here.” He shrugged, not caring about his drenched state.

“Jesus, Kris! Let's get your out of here and into the showers where you belong,” Chanyeol said, pushing the boy towards the exit to head back to the locker room.

 

- - - - - 

 

The usual flock of students at Yeongnam High School filled the hallways on every floor of every building in the campus, either rushing to their next class, mingling with others, or devising a plan to ditch school. It was always so noisy and full of chaos that sometimes, even teachers grew tired of trying to manage the students in the halls.

And that is precisely why the Supreme Student Council existed.

Right in the middle of the corridor of Building A stood the bright, handsome president of the student government, Kim Joonmyun. The lad was all smiles as he greeted students passing him like the perfect role model he is.

“Good afternoon, President Suho,” a sophomore girl greeted shyly. Joonmyun nodded, flashing her one of his widest grins.

And he swore, the girl looked like she was about to faint.

On the other hand, a junior with an almost perfectly chiseled face ran along the hallways, trying to catch up to their president.

“President Suho!” he yelled, trying to get through the students who were rushing past him. “Suho!” He ran, needing to talk to him but also not wanting to be late to his next class.

When he finally caught up with the president, he held on to his shoulder.

Suho looked up. “Oh. Hello, Chen!” he greeted, patting the lad's back.

Chen sighed irritably, clutching his books tightly as he walked side by side with the president. “I called your name at least ten times already.”

“Oh, I'm sorry about that. I was too busy with the students.” He shrugged, smiling at Chen apologetically.

Chen shook his head. “Anyway, I need to talk to you about student council stuff. You know our treasurer, Daeteuk? He's been making a big fuss about the lack of funds for our activities next month and I think it's best we have a meeting about some fund-raising projects,” he said, opening a big green folder that was labeled SSC Files. “We also need to make the sports championships extra orderly since there were a lot of complaints about students who were being too rowdy at the baseball game earlier.”

He scratched the back of his ear and turned the page. “Also, the men's bathrooms at Building C are temporarily closed for plumbing reasons so we should definitely do something about the students going to Hall D just to go to the bathroom. And also, the formal dance next month,” he in a sharp breath through his teeth, flipping through the pages frantically since he had to do this fast. “We haven't gotten any ideas for that so mind filling me in, president?”

Suho lightly chuckled, pushing down the folder that Chen was practically shoving into his face. “Chen, I appreciate your dedication, but you should really calm down a little and, you know, stop worrying about it too much.” He shrugged.

Chen’s jaw dropped. How can the president – the president – be so carefree about this? Here he was, going ape-crazy about it and he just laughs at him? “I'm sorry for my boldness, but are you seriously out of your mind, Suho?”

“No. You're just being too anxious about all this. You really don't have to worry, Chen. There are other days to discuss all this and I'm telling you, it's not today," he said, casually walking with his hands in his pockets.

“What? Are you crazy? I think we should take some action to this and do something right! Why do you think there’s so much stupid stuff going on here like-” he abruptly got cut off, almost tripping on his own feet. He was trying so hard to catch up with Suho that he bumped hard into a tall senior in his swimming trunks. They caught each other’s eye when Chen looked away. “Like...like tall, wet guys roaming around the campus! Did you see that? Now that's just weird.”

“Chen, give yourself a break. I know you're worried as the secretary of the student council and that you're scared that we'll be a flunk, but you should focus on other stuff more. That will clear your head.” Suho pointed to his temple, trying to convince his junior. Chen sighed. “And besides, you're running late for class.”

“Oh, !” Chen exclaimed, hastily shoving the folder back into his bag as he sprinted up the stairs. Suho chuckled as he, himself, headed to the opposite direction where he passed a room blasting loud hip-hop music.

 

- - - - -

 

The speakers at Room 112 blasted hip-hop, making the wooden floor vibrate from the hard-hitting bass of the music.

In the center of the room was a tall, light-skinned boy, slightly bopping his head to the rhythm of the song that was playing. 

In about six more counts, he started popping to the beat until his movements became larger and much more sophisticated. He was gliding and spinning perfectly to the music as other dancers watched him in admiration.

Ending his little show with a charismatic pose, a burst of applause erupted from the students inside the room.

“Wow, Lay. That was sick!” another boy who had the same milky complexion and dark brown hair said, smiling from ear to ear as he praised the latter.

Lay approached the younger boy, not paying attention to the students who kept cheering. “Sehun, water,” he muttered breathlessly, and the lad obediently handed him a bottle.

“You know, we should definitely call in Kai to practice the new choreo. He's been missing out!” Sehun said, standing up from the floor and taking his stuff.

Lay wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “He should definitely show his or else we would have to battle it up next week without him,” he said, face blank as he made his way out of the studio.

“I think it's cool. Baseball season is done anyway.” Sehun shrugged, putting his school blazer back on. “You have plans later tonight?”

“Yeah, I'm on night shift at the shop since it's Friday,” Lay said, turning a corner while Sehun followed. “You?”

“I'll probably call Kai to teach him the new routine,” he said. “Can't afford to perform without him, really. But either way we'll be kicking next week.”

“Tell him that he's gonna have to be in on this one. Jay is tough competition,” Lay said, once again ignoring the students sneaking glances at them. “But I do agree with you on the -kicking part,” he said, smiling a little when Sehun burst into laughter.

 

- - - - -

 

“Class, try a little bit harder,” said the art teacher Mrs. Park, her hands making inward circular motions. “Dig deeper within your soul. Try to grasp that certain emotion until you can feel it tingling in your toes.”

She waved her clenched fist in the air, making her gold earrings slightly tangle with her unruly hair. “And then when it comes, pour it all out into your artwork. Don't hold it back and let your fingers do the magic,” she finished, twirling around the classroom with a strange sparkle in her eyes.

At the corner of the room, a certain brunette rolled his eyes, ignoring Mrs. Park's words. He sighed and put down his navy blue pastel on the tray, already done with his work. He then turned to his right, catching a blonde boy's gaze.

Blondie gave him a small smile while brunette rolled his eyes again, mouthing 'She's a ing weirdo!' Blondie chuckled and shook his head.

“Ah, Mr. Byun! I see that you're done.”

Mrs. Park stood behind him, taking a peek at his canvas. “And I must say, what a masterpiece you have got there! Well done, Baekhyun! You certainly listened to my instructions!” she said, clapping her hands together and urging the rest of the class to do so as well.

Just then, the last bell rang. Students rushed to get their stuff and quickly made their way to exit the room. Baekhyun adjusted his glasses and sighed, relieved that he didn't have to suffer from utter humiliation in the middle of art class. He stuffed his brushes and pastels inside his backpack and approached his friend across the room.

Blondie looked up and smirked. “Looks like you're gonna get Mrs. Park's attention from now on.”

Baekhyun groaned. “Shut up, Luhan. And to think I've been trying to avoid that creepy teacher's attention for months now. Ugh,” he grumbled, running a hand through his face.

Luhan took his bag and walked out into the hallway, pushing Baekhyun in front of him in the process. “I think she likes you.”

Baekhyun hastily turned around. “Luhan, what the hell-”

“As a student, you idiot.” Luhan laughed out loud. Baekhyun pushed him to the middle of the corridor.

“,” he muttered.

“What’s your problem with her anyway?”

“She is so damn weird! I swear she’s on LSD or something, she is trippy as ,” he said. “If she could just stop being such a weirdo every single day.”

“If you could just stop acting like a whiny- every single day,” Luhan mocked.

Baekhyun glared at him through his glasses.

“Okay, okay. Sorry. Just quit thinking about it,” Luhan said defensively, trying hard not to laugh. “So how's the band?”

Baekhyun's eyes widened. “Not so loud!” he hissed.

Luhan rolled his eyes. “Right. 'Cause nobody here knows that the artsy-fartsy nerd is secretly this badass rock star at night.”

"Yeah, and no one knows that the other artsy-fartsy nerd is actually a pretty damn good dancer and battles it out underground secretly,” he retorted.

They held each other’s gaze before Luhan sighed and looked away. “Can you believe we're actually living two lives?"

“Yeah, pretty Hannah Montana-ish if you ask me.”

“Don't. Just don't.”

“Alright.”

 

The two boys climbed down the stairs and went out of the building, heading straight across the field to where the track was. When they got there, beside a tall Jacaranda tree was a black-haired teenage boy.

He was holding a long wooden stick, twirling it in his hands with complicated tricks. He jumped and kicked, but in the most graceful way possible. Martial arts was all about strength and aggressiveness, but with him it almost looked like dancing.

Luhan and Baekhyun shared knowing smiles and ran towards the boy.

Immediately sensing someone coming near, he spun in the air, doing a flying kick in the process. When he landed smoothly on the ground, he vigorously swung the wooden stick in front of him, making the two back away from fear of getting hit.

“What the hell's wrong with you!?” Baekhyun demanded, clutching Luhan's blazer from behind.

The boy's cold and scary facade slowly disappeared as he recognized the two. He then straightened up from his position and lowered the stick. “Oh, hey guys.”

“What do you mean 'hey guys', you almost killed us with that thing!” Baekhyun exclaimed, adjusting his crooked glasses.

Tao looked down at the weapon, rubbing the back of his head as he grinned sheepishly. “Oh, sorry about that, man. Thought you were another one of those annoying idiots trying to get my number.”

Luhan shook his head in displeasure. “Even so, Tao, you shouldn't be waving that thing around, especially in a public place,” he scolded. Tao pouted, but nodded anyway.

“So how's everything going?” the lad asked, picking up his bag from the grass and walking with the older guys.

“Nothing's been going on. Same everyday.” Baekhyun shrugged.

Tao folded his arms. “I know! It's getting more and more boring everyday. Nothing fun is going on.”

“I guess I'm the only one sensing that something extraordinary is going to happen, then?” Luhan said, his intertwined fingers making its way to the back of his head.

“What do you mean?” Tao asked, genuinely curious.

“Oh, you know. Maybe the reason why we're so bored now is because something exciting is coming up soon.”

“Are you on something too, Luhan?” The brunette gave him a skeptical look. Luhan scoffed at him.

Baekhyun raised his hands defensively. “Hey, I was just asking.”

No. I just feel like something big is about to happen. And I'm pretty sure it's going to be interesting,” Luhan said, exiting the school gates. “Though if it's for the better or for the worse, I have no clue.”

- - - - -

A/N: I know nothing about baseball.