New Place, New Life

Guts

The week after Luhan brought Hyerin to Baekhyun's apartment, everyone was busy breaking the news of moving out to their families. Chen, Kris, Xiumin and Lay successfully convinced their parents, however it took longer than needed for others like Luhan, Kyungsoo, Sehun and Chanyeol because of strict parents or problems within the household. The rest did not have any problems with moving out since some of them already lived by themselves.

Once everything was done and over with, the gang headed over to M-LX that Saturday.

"So it is settled then," Agent M said, standing up from his table. "You're moving in together."

"Yes sir," Suho said while the others nodded.

Hyerin turned to look at Sehun. Sensing someone watching him, the boy turned his head and found Hyerin looking at him with what seemed to be a worried glance.

In return, he gave her a small smile before mouthing, "I'm okay."

Hyerin reluctantly nodded and straightened up. After that day at the library with Sehun, she made him promise to tell her what happens once he breaks the news to his mom. He agreed, and three days later, he told her that his mother was shocked like how he predicted, but it was not as bad as he thought it would be.

"When I told her I was moving out, she cried a lot," he told her a few days ago while they were taking a break from practicing. "It was hard not to break down so I just said it all in one go. I didn't want to look at her because she might get mad or just cry more, but after all that, she told me I can leave the house. She said it made her realize that I was growing up, that eventually I had to leave for college and that she should move on. She also said that if she remained depressed, she would only be holding me back from doing what I want. It's going to be hard but," he grinned at Hyerin, wiping off the sweat that was forming on his forehead, "she said she could handle it."

After that, it made Hyerin happy to know that Sehun successfully got his mom to agree. Although sometimes he would still be spacing out from worrying about his mother too much, Sehun was slowly thinking less and less about it.

"I have arranged your move tomorrow. I'm sure you are all done packing," Agent M continued. "You'll be living in Gangnam."

"Gangnam!?" Chanyeol exclaimed in surprise.

"Isn't it expensive to live there?" Lay asked in bewilderment.

Agent M laughed. "Please. You're talking to Kim Myungjae here, one of the wealthiest entrepreneurs in Seoul."

Hyerin rolled her eyes at her father's arrogance as the others laughed.

"So where are we going to live?" Kai asked. "In separate apartment units or something?"

Agent M looked at the boy as if he just told him to eat bricks. "Heavens, no! If I were to force you to live together then I might as well make it worthwhile, yes?"

"Then where do you plan on letting us stay?" Tao asked.

He chortled with amusement. "Only one of the most exclusive condos in Seoul."

---

The moment their car stopped in front of a tall, fancy looking building in the middle of the most expensive neighborhood of the city was the moment they knew Agent M wasn't joking about their living arrangements at all. When they entered the building, staff in navy blue and gold uniform greeted them warmly, and they knew it was because of the wealthy businessman that was accompanying them.

They stepped inside the huge elevator, and once Myungjae pressed the button to the highest floor, the boys realized that this man really was serious about what he said. They really were going to live in this place.

The doors dinged open and it revealed another lobby with a receptionist table and one elevator. Instead of up and down buttons though, there was a scanner.

"This is an elevator to your pad. And this," he pointed to the scanner beside it, "is a fingerprint scanner. It will only recognize me, Hyerin, and the twelve of you. Now let's proceed."

Myungjae pressed his thumb against the small screen and after five seconds, it beeped twice and lit up green. The doors swung open.

"Holy crap," Kyungsoo whispered as they ascended. "We have our own elevator."

Tao let out a low whistle. "And an identity scanner, too."

"That's not the best part," Myungjae chuckled. The elevator opened. "This is."

Everyone, with the exception of Hyerin – she had been there countless of times before – was in awe as their new home unfolded before them. Right when the elevator doors opened, the sight of their beautiful penthouse welcomed them. They looked around with amazement as they entered.

The penthouse was huge. The ceiling was at least twenty feet high and the wall to the left was pure glass, giving them an easy view of the busy Gangnam citylife below. The floors were marble and they could practically see their reflection in them. Sleek leather furniture, glass tables and contemporary artworks decorated the house. An extra large flat screen was attached to the wall adjacent to the glass windows along with a high quality sound system. Around where the couches were placed, a remote control-operated fireplace was carved out of the brick wall across the television.

To the right of the living room, the staircase spiraled around a beautiful modern chandelier to the second floor. The stairs served a double purpose as it was also a barrier between the kitchen and the living room.

Almost everything in the humongous kitchen was white and black, from the walls to the utensils. Across the humongous soapstone countertop was a mini bar at the corner, right next to the stainless steel refrigerator.

The dining room was found to the left of the kitchen. The table was non-surprisingly made of tinted glass, and it was long enough to accommodate twelve young boys and more. Above it was a small chandelier enough to light up the room.

Upstairs was where the rooms were located and just as big. There were six bedrooms with their own personal bathrooms, and all were fairly spacious inside as well. There were two queen-sizes beds in each room and plasma T.V.'s.

Surrounded by the rooms was a lounge room, with another flat screen television complete with a DVD player and several white leather couches around it. To its left was a sliding door that led to a balcony. On the first floor outside of the pad was an outdoor lounge area. It was complete with a swimming pool, a Jacuzzi on its left and several beach chairs scattered around. Iron barriers spiraled around the lounge area to prevent anyone from falling off.

"Holy ," Kris muttered under his breath once they finished roaming around the place.

"This is amazing."

"This is paradise!"

Suho turned around to face Myungjae. "We're seriously living here?" he asked, completely forgetting his manners.

"But of course!" he chuckled. "This is my penthouse and I'm letting you live in it. Hyerin and I stay here just for the heck of using it and even then, those instances are very seldom. Might as well put it to good use, yeah?"

"Wow," Baekhyun sighed. He had never imagined himself living in such luxury like this. Wasn't he just staying at a beat down apartment yesterday?

"Thank you so much for this, sir!" Suho bowed ninety degrees, startling the older man. As soon as the others saw this, they rushed beside him and bowed as well. They stayed like that for a while before Suho spoke again.

"This is more than enough of what we need and we are truly grateful for your hospitality. We'll work even harder from now on."

Hyerin looked up at her father with a small smile as Myungjae walked towards the boys. He ruffled Suho's hair before ushering them all to stand up.

"It's nothing. What matters to me is for you boys to live comfortably. Seeing you like that makes me happy. I want to take care of you as if you are my own children." He grinned. "Now, let me show you some other stuff you should know about this place."

---

They spent the next few hours checking out the penthouse to familiarize themselves, but even then, they were still amazed at how beautiful and luxurious everything was. These were the kind of houses you only see in magazines.

Not only that, but Myungjae also showed them a secret passageway located at the lounge room on the second floor. At the far corner of the room was a tall bookshelf, and beside it was a small ceramic figurine of a woman's hand holding an apple. Once the figurine is pressed down, it will sink an inch with a click. The bookshelf will then open up to a dimly lit room with computers and holograms similar to the ones at M-LX. There were a variety of deadly weapons and gear encased in glass cases against the wall, along with metal tables and LED screens decoration the whole room.

"No one shall know about this place other than us," Myungjae reminded.

The day went on with the celebration of their new home and Myungjae letting them drink expensive wine despite the boys being underage. It was fun, but the noise was getting a bit too much for Hyerin so she decided to escape to the empty living room. 

Or so she thought it was empty. She was surprised to see Suho sitting in one of the many leather couches, crouched down on the table with papers scattered around him. He was busying himself with writing, the glass of red liquid resting beside him untouched on the table.

"Not joining the party, prez?" From the looks of it, the boy was tired, with his unruly hair and the obvious dark circles under his eyes.

Suho jumped in his seat. "Hyerin? My gosh, you scared me." He held a hand to his chest. "And to answer your question, no. I really need to finish some stuff."

She peeked at the paperwork. "What are you up to anyway?"

"This? I'm just finalizing some stuff for the ball in a few weeks. You probably heard of it," he said, writing something on the corner of the paper before finally taking a sip of his wine.

"Well this ball must be a pretty big thing if you're going through all that," she said, nodding at the pile of paperwork. "I don't remember having a ball last year. Or even last last year."

"I want to do an event that will stick with the students this year. Last year's president wasn't at all productive and I want to change that. I want to do something good." He nodded to himself. "I want the students to have some kind of fun."

She couldn't help but smile at the boy's kindness. Who in this generation would have such a mindset like his? "You really are fit for being the president of this school, eh?"

"Is that right?" Suho chuckled.

"Psh. Yeah." She shrugged. "You're always busying yourself with so much but in the end, it's all for the sake of the students. Even when you get stressed out. I mean, here we are in your new home and having fun, but you're here, thinking of others. Really, Suho, are you that nice?"

In return, the boy blushed a deep shade of red from the compliment. "Well, seeing them happy makes me happy." He gave her a sheepish grin.

"You're too nice!" She nudged him playfully. "But then again, you're just doing your job as president. I hope you don't crack under the pressure."

Suho looked down on the carpet thoughtfully. He hoped for the same thing. "Of course."

Hyerin smiled at him before picking up a piece of paper. "So how can I help? I really don't want to go back in there."

"Are you sure? You might be tired from all the stuff we did today," Suho said with concern.

"It's nothing," she scoffed. "Now tell me what to do with these."

Suho chuckled and ruffled the top of her head affectionately.

Hyerin blinked, surprised but comforted by the gesture. It was usually Jonghyun who did that.

"Thank you," he said.

She smiled. "No problem." 

From the kitchen, Chanyeol watched as Suho and Hyerin sat side by side in the couch, laughing. Oddly enough, he found himself pressing his lips tightly together, trying to stop himself from walking over and sitting in between the two. Why does she not look as happy when I'm with her?

"What are you staring at?"

Chanyeol jumped and turned around to find Kris already standing beside him. "You scared me!" he shouted.

Kris raised an eyebrow. "Why were you staring at Hyerin and Suho so intently?"

"I wasn't staring," he denied, folding his arms and nervously shifting from one foot to another. "I was just...just standing...here. Mind your own business will you?"

Kris shook his head. "You are so obvious."

"What?"

"Dumb, too."

"Hey!"

Kris sighed. "You know it's never going to happen."

"What's not going to happen!?"

"...Nothing." The older boy walked away while Chanyeol looked on with a dumbstruck look on his face.

"What the hell is he talking about?"