Chapter 5

Right There

 

“Kyuhyun-oppa…” Seohyun said as she approached the well dressed man in the restaurant. His dark brown eyes softened as he heard her voice. Heart beat accelerating, he stood up almost immediately before remembering to straightened his outfit. On the other hand, Seohyun walked towards Kyuhyun gracefully as her long hair with mild curls falls perfectly in place. “Sorry for being late, I met Changmin-oppa after my flight before returning home to prepare. Hope I didn’t kept you waiting too long.” Seohyun said politely.

“Seohyun-ah, why are you so formal to me out of the sudden? I guess it’s been quite some time since we’ve talked right? I’m glad you have agreed to meet me, so the wait is nothing.” Kyuhyun said. Indeed, Kyuhyun has transformed into a charming and confident guy after all these years. However, his personality was still the same, as dorky as ever. “So..how long are you going to stay this time?” Kyuhyun popped out the question after the waiter took their orders. “I’m not too sure about that, maybe a week, or two, or maybe a month, depends. How’s the aunty and uncle?” Seohyun asked pleasantly. “They are all relatively fine, just that they missed you a lot, you should drop by when you’re free you know.” Kyuhyun answered.

“Of course, I got them some gift, will visit them over the weekend when I have the time. I miss them too.” Seohyun smiled. “What about me? Don’t you miss me too?” He joked. Although he really wanted to know the answer badly. “I miss you too, and Kyuhyun-oppa. You know you guys are one of the closest friends I’ve got.” She said calmly. Closest friends. The words lingered around Kyuhyun’s mind but he decided to shove it away. After all, he wanted to win her back, that was his intention, he shouldn’t let such a minor remark affect him in this way.

They chat about career and life and after dinner, Kyuhyun settled the bill then drove Seohyun to the beach where they would always visit back in those days. It was still the same, serene, empty, sound of sea waves crashing onto the shore. They then settled down on the same bench they would always sit when they were still married. Everything was the same, only their status changed.

Mustering his courage, Kyuhyun took Seohyun’s hands in his and said, “Seo, do you have any plans about your future partner?” Seohyun jerked her hands uncomfortably, however, not pulling away. “No, honestly no. I don’t have the time for that.” She said. “You know…I’m still here waiting for you to come back, I really hope you can give me another chance.” He said softly. “Oppa..I know you did not betray me two years ago. Maybe I was too rash, not giving you a chance to explain. But…I really hope you can find someone more suitable and move on. I really think we would be better off as friends.” Seohyun said calmly. She was glad to be able to say out, and also understand what her heart wants. “Do you have someone you like already?” Kyuhyun asked. He knew Seohyun is stubborn, and once she makes up her mind, she would never change it. “Maybe…I’m still figuring out.” She mumbled. Kyuhyun was hurt, he was jealous, but he wanted her to be happy, even if it meant giving her up. “By any chance..is it Changmin?” He said. He knew of Changmin’s love to Seohyun.

After Seohyun left, Kyuhyun confronted Changmin. Changmin confessed about his love towards Seohyun, even though he did not sow discord between them, Kyuhyun back then was really angry and he punched Changmin. They stopped talking for a month, but had to because of a business deal. It was then they finally lashed things out and decided on a fair competition. Whoever gets her heart, the other will accept it whole heartedly. Because the both of them wants Seohyun to be happy.

“Kyu, you know the friendship between the three of us is one of the most important thing in my life right?” Seohyun said, trying to keep her tears in. “I’m telling you this because, we were once husband and wife, but things got messy, we fell out, and now..I don’t want to lose this friendship. I’m just hoping you can accept and respect my decision. Whatever it is.” She explained solemnly.

“I know, I understand. However, please don’t rip me of the chance to give it another try. At least I can tell myself I’ve tried my best.” Kyuhyun said. “Thanks Kyu, thank you so much.” Seohyun said as she hugged him tightly, as a friend, just like before.