Do as I do

How to become an Ulzzang

 

"This is your house?" Yongguk said as he pulled up in front of Himchan’s apartment building. It was tall and shiny. Well, that's what Yongguk thought anyway. 
He got out of the car and stared at the building. Compared to where Yongguk’s small family house, it was like a modern day palace. Himchan knocked on the window, and gestured for Yongguk to help him out of the car. Yongguk quickly ran to the other side of the car and opened the door. He grabbed the crutches as they fumbled out of the car. After he leaned them against the bonnet, he pulled Himchan out. “Are you okay?”
“Yes, yes I’m fine”

Yongguk handed Himchan his crutches and closed the door. Himchan slowly started limping his way to the Apartment building entrance. “I should have gotten a wheel chair!” shouted Himchan.

Finally, after years of waiting, Himchan finally reached the elevator. “It’s about time grandpa,” joked Yongguk. Himchan gave him an evil gaze. “We have only known each other for a couple of hours and you’re already making fun of me like we’re close.”

“Yah, we have only known each other for a couple of hours and you’re already inviting me to your house like we’re close.” Replied Yongguk.
Himchan rolled his eyes “Well… Well… I have to okay!”

The two reached the very top of the 30-floor building. Himchan gave Yongguk the key to the room so he could open it. When the door opened, the whole dorm was revealed. It was just as extravagant as outside, even more! The first thing that was in Yongguk’s site was the big balcony at the back. He ran to it like a little child in a toy store. “Wow!” he screeched, “This is amazing!”
Himchan hobbled into the dorm and took his shoes off. “Yeah, I guess”
“I would love to wake up every morning to see this!”
“I’m kind of used to it”
Yongguk turned around as Himchan sat on his sofa.
“So… what now?”

Awkwardness filled the room. Himchan tried to lift his leg up onto the coffee table. Yongguk rushed down to help him “oh, thank you”


Himchan looked at Yongguk. “Turn around” he said
Yongguk spun around like a dork. “SLOWLY” Himchan demanded
Yongguk slowly turned, and Himchan looked at the latter’s stature. “Let’s see… you’re tall, good-looking and your skin is healthy. But the way you wear your clothing is messy, and your hair is scruffy. I guess we don’t have too much to work with.”

 

Himchan suddenly began squinting. Yongguk began to feel very un-comfortable, so he looked down. “Come here” asked Himchan. Yongguk nodded and stood before Himchan who was sitting down. “Closer”
Yongguk began to feel very nervous, and felt his cheeks go red. Himchan got restless and pulled Yongguk in by his arm. They were so close they could have kissed. But they didn’t. Come on, it’s too early in the story guys.

”What are you doing?” asked Yongguk.
“You have pretty facial features,” commented Himchan
“…Uh, thanks?”

Himchan let go of Yongguk’s arm and told him to sit down.
“Give me a profile of yourself,” said Himchan
“A profile?”
“Yeah. Tell me everything from your name to your ambitions”

Yongguk sat quietly for a bit before speaking.
“My name is Bang Yongguk. I was born on the 31st march, 1990. I’m from a small town outside of Kwangju and my ambition is to become Korea’s most respected Rapper.”

 

Himchan laughed,  “I’m finally younger than someone”
Yongguk’s face was confused. “…Younger?”
“Uh huh, I was born 19th April. So I’m pretty old for my profession” smiled Himchan

 

“ANYWAY~ you will be faced with the task of going to a lot of photo shoots for the clothing brand I’m with, Dangoon. They are one of the most popular men’s fashion brands in Korea, and are one of the strictest. Especially with time management and stuff like that. You also need a*Cyworld’ account. I will set up yours…”
As Himchan continued to talk, Yongguk looked at Him with a blank face. Why did I agree to do this? He thought to himself.
“… So. Did you get all that?”
“Uh… um, yes.”
“GREAT! Get my camera from the kitchen counter”
“What for?”
“We’re going to take mock photo shoot. Then, we’ll choose the best one for your Cyworld display picture~~”
Yongguk walked across to the kitchen and saw a black Nikon camera sitting on the bench. He picked it up and brought it over to Himchan.
“Okay now, pose as if you are selling the clothes you are wearing now”

 

Yongguk stood up straight. He let his hands fall to the side of his body. His legs were straight. He was just plain…awkward.
“Yah, what is this? You look like one of those British guards with the big hats. Loosen up a bit! And your hands are too awkward.”

 

Yongguk tried again. He loosened his shoulders pulled yet another awkward pose. He began to get frustrated.
Himchan shook his head, and slowly got up off the couch. He grabbed his crutches and limped over to Yongguk and handed him the crutches. “Hold these, and watch”


Himchan stood calmly, his hands holding on to the collars of his jacket. His facial expression was cool and y. Yongguk gazed upon the stance of the younger, experienced man.
“You don’t need to think. Whatever pose you feel, just let it flow. Don’t worry about getting embarrassed. Its just me here…for now.”

Yongguk tried one last time, and finally. He got it. Himchan took the picture and smiled. “There you go, take a look at this!”
Yongguk walked over and looked at the picture that was showing on the camera screen. He smiled, as he was impressed with himself. Let’s take some more!
Yongguk agreed. And for the whole day, they took photos of Yongguk and of each other. It had been a while since Himchan had had so much fun.  He felt like a new side of him had emerged. To Yongguk, Himchan’s ‘full-of-attitude’ exterior from the day before had vanished, and Yongguk could feel a connection between them both.

 

It was now 11pm, and they were looking at all the photos they took that day on the computer. 
“Oh wow, it’s 11~ you better get back to your place. You got an early start tomorrow.”
Yongguk’s smile faded and he stepped back.
“Are you okay?” asked Himchan
“…You don’t have any spare change… do you?”
“How much do you need? Do you need to take the bus?”
Yongguk nodded
“Where do you live?”

Yongguk hesitated. He looked at Himchan, then down at his feet. “I…uh…well, I kinda don’t… um… I don’t have anywhere to go”
Himchan’s face went completely blank. He knew Yongguk was poor, but not this poor. He didn’t know how to react. So he remained quiet.
“Don’t worry about it… I’ll walk”

Yongguk walked over to the door and put his shoes on. He opened the door, and just as he stepped out, Himchan interrupted him.
“You can stay here… if you want”

Yongguk turned around, “Huh?”
“I mean… I do need someone to help me do stuff since my leg is broken and all.”
‘You sure?”
“Yeah, why not?”
“Oh… okay”
Yongguk walked back inside and took his shoes off.
“There’s a spare room you can sleep in. I mean, it’s not big. But it’s comfy~”
Himchan walked Yongguk to the spare room, and Yongguk walked in. Himchan smiled “I’m off to bed. You better get to sleep too. Goodnight”
“Goodnight” Yongguk replied as Himchan closed the door.

Himchan hobbled to his room and sat on the bed. He smiled as he lay down underneath the blankets and closed his eyes.
Yongguk smiled too, since it was the first bed he had slept in for a month.