I found you!

How to become an Ulzzang

 

Hey, how are you? I’ve seen your latest shoot, looks really good! And I see your leg is looking all better now. Your hair is blonde too and it looks nice. I tried out for that audition. It didn’t go so well… They said I wasn’t what they were looking for. I don’t believe them. I know they hated me…
I’m leaving for Kwangju soon; In 10 minutes actually. Heh… I don’t know if it’s worth saying, but… I’ve been thinking about you a lot. And I’ve recently realized that… I have feelings for you. I… I love you…

…you’re probably busy right now, so, I’ll hang up. Okay, bye”

The answering machine let out a large beep that echoed through the quiet apartment. Snow fell against the window as the sky turned a darker grey. A big gust of wind shook the windows as it blew past. Groaning escaped from underneath a mountain of clothing and blankets. Himchan slowly emerged from under the big pile, and ruffled up his hair. He put a large woolen jumper on as he moved to the bathroom. He turned the tap and cupped some water into his hand, and as the water ran over his face, he looked at himself in the mirror. He let out a large yawn as he dried his face.

 

Himchan walked into the kitchen, and pressed repeat on the answering machine.

Whole weeks worth of messages played. Himchan paid no attention to them as he ate his breakfast. Then, the final message played.
Hey, how are you? I’ve seen your latest shoot, looks really good…”


Himchan took his bowl up to the kitchen sink and began washing it. As he scrubbed, he heard the words “I love you” come from the machine. He put his head up and listened. “You’re probably busy right now, so, I’ll hang up. Okay, bye”
Himchan turned the tap off and placed it on the bench. He dried his hands and ran straight to the answering machine. He pressed down on the repeat button, and the message re-winded. 
… I don’t know if it’s worth saying, but… I’ve been thinking about you a lot. And I’ve recently realized that… I have feelings for you. I… I love you…
Himchan felt his heart begin to pound. His cheeks went read, and he became flustered. He kept pressing the repeat button, and listened to the message over and over.
Himchan stood up, and walked over to his computer. He turned the power button on, and waited for the desktop to load.
After it had finally loaded, he went to the file that contained the photos that they took of each other the second day they had met.
He smiled as he scrolled through the library of photos.
An idea had emerged in his mind. He got up and re-winded the last message one more time. He looked at the date that the message was received. It read 16th may.
“That was a month ago!” shouted Himchan

He instantly ran to his desk to find his car keys. He shouted to see that they weren’t where he thought he left them. He searched everywhere in his apartment. In his room, bathroom, kitchen, lounge. Under piles of clothing, mounds of rubbish and in clothing pockets. He ruffled his hair as he looked around the room for sight of his keys. He searched in his room one more time, and saw something shimmer on the windowsill across from his room.
He jumped over his clothing and bed, and smiled with joy as he had finally found his car keys.

 

Without hesitation, he ran straight out the door and down the long flight of stairs. Himchan finally reached his car, and sped off down the streets.

 

3 hours later, he arrived in Kwangju. As he entered the city, he was welcomed by a view of tall mountains. Himchan pulled over outside a convenience store and got out of the car. He stood, confused. “Damn it!” Himchan shouted.
Himchan was trying to remember if Yongguk had ever said anything about his hometown. The only thing he could remember was that he was from a small town outside of the city. Himchan locked his car and walked inside the convenience store. He went straight for the magazine stands, and searched for a map. As he searched, he heard two schoolgirls gossiping next to each other. “Isn’t he charming!”
“Yeah, he’s beautiful! Like Kim Himchan!!”
“Did you hear Yongguk-oppa was from Hwasun?”
“Yeah! I heard he quit and went back home! We should visit him!!”

 

Himchan heard, and approached the girls. “Excuse me” he asked softly. One of the girls turned around, and stood still with shock. “A…are you Kim Himchan?” The second girl stuttered. Himchan nodded. “Where did you say Yongguk was from?”

“Hwasun?”
“Thank you so much!” Himchan ran out of the convenience store, and started his car.

 

He drove for a further half an hour. He drove under tunnels and down long highways.  He drove past beautiful scenes and quiet neighborhoods, until he finally came to an intersection. At last, he had arrived in Hwasun. He remembered Yongguk talking about going down a long dirt track when he was little. So, he drove around the small city. He came to another intersection at the far side of Hwasun. One side was a long concrete road, and the other was a dirt road.

 

He pulled to the side of the road, and then got out. He looked behind him, and saw tall buildings in the distance. He turned back around and walked out into the middle of the road. Both were very quiet. He looked down the dirt road, and saw nothing. He looked down the concrete road, and could just see some buildings.
“Are you lost?”

Himchan turned around, and saw a small old man standing next to his bike.
“Um, yes. I am actually”
“Where are you wanting to go son?”
“I’m not quite sure but I am looking for someone. You don’t happen to know who Bang Yongguk is… do you?”
The old man began to smile.
“I’m his grandfather”
“Really? Could you take me to him?”

Yongguk’s grandfather smiled and nodded. “Thank you so much. Here, let me put your bike in the back. Please, I’ll drive you! Hop in my car”

 

The old man got in and put his seatbelt on. After struggling to put the bike in the back, he finally drove off down the dirt track.
The sky became orange as the sun began to set.  “Where were you going anyway, Ajusshi?”
“I was actually on my way home”
Himchan had a little trouble trying to understand the old man’s heavy Kwangju accent.
“You were going to travel this long? Where were you coming from?”
“I was returning home from our own a small noodle shop in town.”
“Oh”
The sun had set, and now the sky was dark and cold.
“Turn here,” said the old man
Himchan turned down another long dusty road that was the driveway to the house. Paddy fields were on either side of them. Himchan slowed down as he came up to the house. As he stopped, he felt his heart fall to his stomach.
“Are you okay son?”
“I’m just a bit…”
“Nervous?” asked the grandfather.

Himchan looked at the old man with confusion.
“Yongguk hasn’t been the same since he’s returned home. He told me how he has found love, but can no longer have it.”

Himchan looked at his feet and didn’t say a word
“I’m guessing you’re his love.” Continued the old man.
“…You don’t have a problem with that?”
Yongguk’s grandfather smiled and put his hand on Himchan’s shoulder.
“I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn't matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together."

 

Himchan looked up at the old man and smiled. “Come on, Yongguk is inside.”

Himchan and the old man walked up to the house. The grandfather opened the door and walked inside. Himchan stood outside, and hesitated. “Come on, don’t be shy”
Himchan removed his shoes and walked inside. “Where are his other family members?” whispered Himchan
“Oh, they'll still be at the shop. It’ll be a full house tonight”
Himchan continued to follow Ajusshi down a long corridor. He turned, and then came to a lonesome door at the end. “Go ahead, knock on the door. He’s sure to be in there”
Himchan bowed to the old man, and walked down to the door. He knocked, and then waited. “Come in!” shouted Yongguk.

Himchan stopped. He couldn’t move. It had been so long since he had heard his voice physically. His heart felt heavy, and pounded hard against his chest.
“You can come in~” shouted Yongguk again.

Himchan put his hand on the doorknob. But suddenly, the door opened.

Yongguk’s eyes met Himchan’s, and for a moment, it was like meeting each other for the first time. Himchan began to let out tears; Yongguk pulled Himchan in to his chest and hugged the younger man tightly.
“I’m so sorry Yongguk-ah! I regret what I did to you!”

“Shh…” Yongguk said, “Don’t worry.”


Yongguk pulled Himchan into his room and closed the door. He put his finger under Himchan’s chin and tilted his head up.  He placed his hand gently behind Himchan’s head and pulled the younger man in closer. He locked lips with the Himchan, and they shared a warm embrace.
They pulled away from each other. “I didn’t know what I was thinking! I hate myself for pushing you away! I love you Yongguk!”

Yongguk hugged Himchan tightly again. “I know, it was my fault... I had become out of control and you had the right to kick me out. But, I never thought I was going to see you again!”
They kissed again, and then smiled. “So I guess this is it…” said Himchan
“We’re finally together”