Final

Capture a Stare [one-shot]

Every feeling started with just one stare.

I look intently at the pictures I took at the park. Being in Korea is my first time, but I was deeply in love with its beauty. How stunning the world can be, but people don’t realize its importance. The beautiful sky and cold breeze so revitalizing, anyone would love to stay here. Is this what we call peace? Scenes of cute interactions of people, how happy they are being together, holding hands, playing with each other, eating while walking along the busy streets were mostly seen on the pictures I took. But it seems like there is something odd. I mean, a picture odd from the others. It caught my attention. Why does this man have to be alone, like looking someone, or something from afar? Among the many people I see grouping together, he looks alone and lonely. I took a shot anyway. The scenery suits him so I continued.

He turned after I took a shot. Our eyes met. It’s more unusual looking straight at me like that. Out of all the people I met, he looked at me the most peculiar. Those innocent eyes seems telling me he needs something—or someone.

I avoided his contact. It’s strange to be alone in this place and someone’s staring at you. His stare gave me a meaning I don’t want to understand. I think I’m not yet ready to mingle with someone. I came here alone to refresh myself from work back in the my country. Photography is one of my hobbies and it gives me a feeling of contentment every time I take good pictures. I came to realize so many things about life. And this day was extraordinary, just because of a man who just stared at me for seconds.

I moved to another place and continued to take pictures. I can still feel he’s looking at me. After sometime I looked back at where he stood, the same young man staring at the river’s clear water innocently, searching for something I think it’s called happiness. I continued my way. It’s not a big deal to be thinking about the situation of his life.

It’s the first day of my Language classes. I wanted to learn the language because I slowly love Korea. It’s good to be meeting good friends here before coming back to work, at least to remember the place more vividly. My classmates were mostly foreigners of course, but I don't know anyone. I think I need to make friends this time.

I searched a comfortable place around the room. I sat a seat apart a guy. There was a group of people at the front corner but I choose to sit at the middle right part. And yes, this guy one seat apart at my right, looks familiar. He was reading a small book, I bet it was a dictionary. Thanks guy, I checked my bag. Oh no, I forgot to bring it! I left it at the apartment. God, I’m in need of making friends. No other person but this guy at my right. This is not good. Seconds after, the teacher came in. He was a foreigner too, but he greeted us in Korean.

“Annyeonghaseyo!” he had good Korean accent,

He probably lived here for many years. He started teaching but, the whole class brought dictionary with them. There were a lot of vacant seats around and I found out me and this guy are the only people on this row. I need to borrow dictionary. The teacher gave a little exercise on Korean greetings, but still I need the book!

“Excuse me,” I turned to the guy at my right and asked him.

He looked at me and, the face… That familiar face... especially his eyes, were innocent. He’s the guy I saw yesterday while taking the pictures. The guy I read about his life just by looking at his eyes. I remembered his simple staring at the river which I gave a meaning. This guy, I’m talking to right now. He showed me the book he’s holding, while his sheet of paper is pressed by his left hand.

“Book?” He wasn’t English, he looks Chinese.

“Ahh, can I?” I asked him, not even sure if he understood it.

He looked at the board innocently and slowly moved a seat closer to me. He placed the book at my desk.

“Here.” He opened the book at the answers to the exercise and smiled at me. “Answer. I’ll help you.” Honestly, he had difficulty speaking English.

I just smiled at him staring at the book. I read the greetings and it connects to the activity. He also handed me a piece of paper with the activity already written on it and a pen. How can he be so kind? He continued answering, leaving the book with me. I tried to answer it.

“Done? Need help?”, he asked after he was done with the exercise. He knew I was a late comer and they were progressing through the lessons. But the teacher allowed me in as long as I’m willing to learn. I asked him little questions and he answered them carefully. Good thing I sat beside him so I was lucky in a way.

The classes ended and I was about to pack my things. He gave me the book and said it’ll be mine. I refused and told him I had one already but he insisted. He hurriedly left the room, I wasn’t able to ask him where he was yesterday afternoon.

I choose the coffee shops to be my next scenery to take. After taking shots I took coffee at a shop near my apartment. I sent text messages to my family back at my country, wishing they were okay. I felt sorry for myself I can’t bring them all here for them to appreciate how beautiful the world can be. They forgive me this time since money is difficult to earn these days. Instead, they told me that the pictures I can take can be my gift for them.

Suddenly a guy placed coffee at my table. It’s the guy at the Korean class.

“Hello. I’m sorry.” His coffee had a label written “mianhe ”

I looked up at him, “why?”

He smiled and gave me another piece of paper. He bowed at me and hurriedly left the shop. I looked at him while he left the shop before I could read the piece of paper. It read, “Luhan” and a series of numbers. It was a phone number. How did he know I was in this shop? Was he expecting me to contact him after giving me his number?

I left the shop bringing his coffee and keeping his name and contact number. Luhan, wasn’t that a Korean name? He’s probably Chinese. I checked the recently taken photos and looked at the scene with this innocent guy. Luhan was his name. And he’s my new friend. Unexpected event, I still felt awkward around him.

It’s my second day in Korean class, but I felt excited seeing him. I wanted to ask him so many questions. I wanted to talk to him, even though it’s awkward. I think I’m interested about him. The first time I saw him while I was taking pictures was unusual because I can feel something. He’s the guy I know I can learn, after he helped me I felt a little comfortable. He’s so kind, innocent, but I want to know more about his mysterious side.

But after minutes waiting, he didn’t come. Until my teacher started his class, he didn’t come. I was the only person left in my row. I just met him the other day but he suddenly disappeared. I took his dictionary and used it. I remembered he gave me his name and number. I wanted to contact him but I think I shouldn’t do it first. I need to relax myself here in this place. There are more things worth thinking of.

I went back to where I saw him. The park was more refreshing to look at. Before I took the pictures I sat at one of the benches facing the river. It’s true that all the worries be lost after looking at the scenery. It’s so clear and clean. The trees’ colors are cool to look at. The sky is beautiful as usual. It’s my appreciation for nature coming up again. Suddenly someone sat beside me.

“So, you’re a photographer.” I turned to him and it’s Luhan.

“How beautiful…” I stared at him.

This guy is really mysterious. He knew every thing I’m doing. I was more surprised after he told me something,

“…Like you”. He turned and looked at me.

Our eyes met again but his eyes weren’t the poor eyes that needed something. It was the eyes that found something. I gulped and looked at the sky to analyze what he had just said. I wanted to tell him the things that has been bothering me for days. Just by his first innocent stare at me he gave a meaning I need to know. I was lost for words, but he continued to talk.

“I’ll be leaving tomorrow morning,” his voice was trembling a little.

I didn’t mean to let him feel awkward. I turned to listen.

“Can…can we go out together before I leave?”, with the same trembling voice.

Again, he turned and looked at me, waiting for an answer. It was awkward again, just after a day meeting at the Korean class, him helping me, him giving coffee, his name and number at a piece of paper, and now unexpectedly meeting him at the park, out of all the people he wanted to go out with, he chose me. It was great honor and privilege, honestly I still find him to be a stranger to me. But then I didn’t decline. It’s an opportunity for me to know more about him, despite of him leaving right away. I can still know him even if we are given a little time, right?

He brought me to the coffee shop I was in yesterday and told me how important the shop was to him. We didn’t enter the shop so he told me the story outside. He met his first friend in Korea in this shop, but later lost him after a day of meeting him. He thought he will be living in this place with comfort, but it was uneasy because he didn’t saw his friend anymore after the day he met him at this shop. He didn’t know where he went, he just disappeared He worked and learned to live all by himself for the first time and gained courage of facing life’s trials because of this coffee shop. How he treasured such friendship touched me, that’s why he’s going out with me.

Next he brought me to a shopping center. I was surprised he had close friends with sale clerks there. He even bought me a bag and scarf. I was shy and flattered of course. Everyone asked him if I was his girlfriend, and every time he’s asked, he puts his arm on my shoulder and told them “maybe.” And he smiled at them. I wasn’t saying any word, but I didn’t find him weird. Honestly he looks cute to me and so I didn’t react to it. I smiled at them instead. He has been shooting stares but I continued to smile and act comfortable.

He treated me a native food called ddeukbokki and explained to me how nice the people were. He told me to shop here while I’m staying and whispered me one secret—be friendly and they’ll give you more discounts. I laughed but he insisted it’s true.

We went back to where we started—at the river where we first met. It was already evening, and the lights were dazzling along the horizon, reflecting on the river water. It’s a romantic place to be in, especially that only me and Luhan were left on this place.

“Did you enjoy?”, he asked me while we were walking along.

I told him how I appreciate him and his kindness and making me feel comfortable. We had the same characteristics, we put meaning and importance to every thing we see and meet. He kept on joking about how we were meant to be, that everything that happened were all forces of destiny. He asked me why I didn’t contact him right after he gave me his number. I just laughed and smile.

“You were hesitant?” Yes I was, but I just smiled and didn’t answer.

“You don’t have a phone?”

“I have!”

“But why didn’t you contact, when you wanted to ask me more questions?”

Does he know I like him? I looked down at the street while walking, only after seconds he stopped and I was behind him. I asked him why, and as I approach him, he grabbed me and hugged me so tight. It was long hug before he said something,

“Thank you for everything. I will miss you. Continue dreaming.” He didn’t release me after those words.

It was only a 3 day encounter with him but it seems like we’ve been childhood friends for long years about to separate. Why do we feel this way? He felt the same way as me. I didn’t want to lose a friend I just met. Was this because he lost a friend before, that he didn’t want to let me go? Then he loosen the grip and held my hand. “I’ll take you home.”

I woke up feeling uneasy. I knew he’ll be leaving already. I immediately picked up my phone and Ahh! It’s 7:00 am! The hour of his flight! Why didn’t he call me at 6? I told him I have troubles waking up early and I told him to call me! So I hurriedly went out of my room only to find out some papers at the dining table. It was together with served ddeukbokki and a cup of coffee, now cold. I checked and saw photographs that shocked me. It was three pictures of me. First was me taking a photo of a kid bringing balloon at the park, then me at the hallway waiting for our Korean classes and lastly me at the coffee shop. It was beautifully taken, like a professional photographer. And the back of each photo, it spelled “I love you”. I smiled. Why did he fell in love with me in just 3 days? Eager to talk to him, I opened my phone and found out another picture of me sleeping. It has a caption at the bottom.

“Thank you for every thing you have done, even though it wasn’t for me. I was looking for a person like you who can inspire me like this. I was a frustrated photographer but because I appreciate you and like you a lot, I’ll begin to revive this dream. When the first time we met, I can feel that you can help me pursue my dreams, and I thank you for the little gestures. I hope someday with the forces of destiny, he will meet us. I won’t forget you. Please don’t forget me.  Your friend, Luhan”

I smiled with my heart. Everything was meaningful, just by the stare at the park we became instant friends, and developed feelings so fast. Our interests made a strong bond between us, that even if time would run so fast, our friendship grows faster than light. I hurriedly run out of my house and saw an airplane pass by.

“I’ll never forget you Luhan. I love you too.”