Totally not-so Funny

The Howling - Part I: New Beginnings

 

As soon as Jongin began speaking, a smile broke out across Joonmyun's face and he ducked away, stifling a laugh as he brough his hand to cover his mouth. He didn't want to laugh, because it most definitely wasn't funny, not when Jongin might very well have a broken nose, but the way he sounded still made him chuckle. As a bonus, he got to watch as Sunny chucked a loaf of bread at him for the comment, and it only made the laughter harder to contain. 
 
With a soft smile still on his face, he followed Jongin to the counter and took a seat next to the younger boy, his attention torn between him and Sunny, though he was more concerned about Jongin's probably-broken nose. Even under the cloth, it looked swollen and bruised -- not to mention extremely painful -- already. 
 
At the question, Joonmyun turned to Sunny, eyes wide and innocent. Of course it wasn't him. Why would he -- a mere human, and an injured one at that -- hit Jongin, a werewolf? It wasn't logical, not if he wanted to live. After that, he was let off for not eating, the young woman understanding that he'd not been up to it, and he gave a slight nod before watching as she fixed Jongin. Again. 
 
But he didn't watch for long, because the moment she put her fingers on Jongin's nose, Joonmyun knew what she was going to do and he turned away, cringing at the sound of bone and cartilage being put back in place. The teen didn't seem phased for all that long, because he went about questioning Sunny as soon as the woman stepped away. 
 
When the bread was placed in his hand, Joonmyun took a bite and savored it as he turned back to Jongin, examining his face and the new bandages. "It kinda suits you," he said with a playful smirk, tilting his head just a bit to the side. "Makes you look tough, but only if you don't say what really happened." Because banging your head on the edge of a bathtub didn't exactly scream 'tough'. "Though, you should really stop hurting yourself."
 
Joonmyun didn't like seeing anyone in pain, but there was something about seeing Jongin hurt that made his chest ache more than for anyone else. He couldn't explain it, but for now he didn't want an explanation, because it probably wasn't one that he wanted. 

 

At Sunny's accusation towards Joonmyun, Jongin snorted out a laugh, only to have his words cut off by a yelp when she straightened his nose out and applied the small bandage strips.  "Funny..." he mumbled to the older female, before ripping into the bread with his teeth and chewing thoughtfully, before he glanced up at the elder male. "You're real funny too. If you tell Sunny how I did this.. I'll... lock you up and never let you out," he finished with a teasing, playful grin before he sat back and sighed.
 
"I'll try and stop hurting myself... can't help it if everything is out to get me," he replied, as he gingerly touched his face. His nose and cheeks hurt, and his speech was still a little nasaly, but other than that it was okay. 
 
He took another bite out of the bread as Sunny returned with a laden picnic basket, and gave the girl a smile as she placed it down in front of them. "I also put a blanket in, and a couple of bottles of water an fruit juice. If you go to... well, you know where, they won't think of going there to look for you..."
 
Jongin nodded slowly, one hand reaching out to take the basket as the other held his bread, and he smiled brightly before looking to Joonmyun. "Ready to go? We should hurry while it's still early, and the food's still warm..."

 

Joonmyun's eyes widened slightly at the boy's orders, taking him seriously until he saw the smirk and his expression softened a bit, relieved; he felt locked up as it was, and being locked up in even smaller confines was sure to send him into full out panic. That would be just what he needed, right? 
 
A crooked frown formed on his lips as he watched Jongin ghost his fingers over the swollen parts around his nose. It looked painful, but Joonmyun couldn't help but think that the bruises made him look.... human? Shortly after accepting that Jongin was a werewolf, the elder had thought the boy to be almost indestructible -- yes, there were the gouges in his arm, but that was beside the point -- and the thought of him tripping hadn't crossed his mind. This here proved that maybe Jongin was more human that Joonmyun made him out to be. 
 
Only when Sunny came back did Joonmyun realize he was staring, and he glanced away, hoping his cheeks weren't as pink as they felt. He didn't pay much attention to what she said, but when she paused, being vague about where they should go, Joonmyun turned and looked back at Jongin, curious. The teen obviously knew what she meant, but Joonmyun was, once again, lost. 
 
And when one is lost but with a guide, then they must follow said guide and trust that they know what they're doing. So, Joonmyun nodded and slid off his chair, giving Sunny a smile and a polite nod before waiting to follow Jongin out. 

 

As Jongin sunk into his chair more, feeling the dull ache in his face make his nose feel like it was swollen - which it might've been, but he didn't know because he didn't have a mirror - he glanced towards Joonmyun, watching as he stared at him. The attention made his cheeks darken with more color, and he choked a little on his saliva before he looked away and straightened. 
 
"J-Joonmyun, you're staring," he mumbled as he shifted the basket to his other hand. "Come on. We should go before someone wakes up. The last time I took Taemin, he got sick..."
 
Letting out a soft noise, he waved his hand in farewell to Sunny, getting a half eaten loaf thrown at the back of his head in response, before he pushed open the door and after waiting for Joonmyun to step out, he tilted his head and led him towards the smaller door at the end of the hall. 
 
"The gardens are large. There's even a miniature maze in the rose garden, and... although they dislike it, there's certain plants that wolves are allergic to planted in one specific area. Most of the others avoid it because the plants burn and cause things like rashes and swelling from touching, so we should be fine there. It's really beautiful..." 
 
As he spoke, he pushed open the door to the outside, for Joonmyun to step past him into the fresh air.