Hope

The Howling - Part I: New Beginnings

 

What seemed like forever, but was probably only a few minutes later, Joonmyun heard the bathroom door open and looked up to see Jongin padding across the room and back to his chair, making some excuse about having to think on something. It might have been the truth, but it was vague and there was obviously more to it than the boy was letting on; it wasn't Joonmyun's place to pry, though, so he kept quiet and slid back into bed. 
 
When asked if he was okay, he thought about saying yes. 'Okay' was only a relative term, and in some aspect or another he was okay. Jongin would see past that, though, and so avoiding what he meant would be useless. "Not really," he murmured, sitting forward and pulling one knee to his chest and wrapping his good arm around it; this was obviously the rush Sunny had been talking about. 
 
"Is there any hope of /ever/ getting out of here?" Joonmyun asked quietly, turning his head and resting it on his knee as he watched the younger male. Jongin was next in line to be the alpha, so there had to be something; if the boy would just give him a bit of hope, then he wouldn't give up. 
 

 

Jongin's eyes watched Joonmyun carefully, noting the way he sat forward and hugged a knee to his chest. His gaze darkened a little at the question, and he tipped his own head back, breaking the gaze as his eyes closed and his throat was revealed, Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed.
 
Sure. There was hope. If Jongin actually lived long enough to become Alpha, then he could quite easily release Joonmyun. In fact, if he /did/ become Alpha the first thing he was going to do, after killing yoochun of course, as to let Joonmyun go back to the human life he so missed... if he was still alive, that is.
 
"mm, there's hope," he replied, his voice low as he rubbed his sore shoulder with his good hand. "If you're alive when I become Alpha, I'll free you. I'm not going to lie to you, Joonmyun. The chances of actually getting away from here, now that they know your scent, is very slim. The chances of you getting away once I become Alpha are a little more realistic, but... I just don't know. There /is/ hope, but I'm not sure how much good it's going to do you."
 
He knew it probably wasn't the answer that Joonmyun wanted, but what was he supposed to do, lie to the boy? He wouldn't do that, not when he knew the elder wanted to escape, not when he coudl still give him some glimmer of hope to hang on to. 
 
"I'm sorry. That's probably not the answer you're looking for, but it's the only one I can give you..."
 

 

No, it most definitely wasn't the answer he was looking for. "It's okay. At least.... there's /something/ to hold on to." That something really didn't seem like much, almost nothing, but it was there and it gave Joonmyun that small bit of hope he needed to not completely give up. Jongin didn't seem like one who was going to let him give up without some sort of a fight; did surviving his frist night count?
 
Joonmyun was quiet for a long time after that, eyes trained on Jongin, watching him and studying him carefully. For someone who seemed to go through hell and back often, the boy was pretty. When he wasn't snapping or lashing out, his features, while still sharp, seemed softer, younger, more kind, and he looked completely out of sorts in a place like this. 
 
After a while, he caught himself staring and turned his attention elsewhere, suddenly finding the blankets at his feet much more interesting. "So.... uhmm..." Thank you. Thanks for saving me, protecting me, looking out for and taking care of me; I won't ever be able to repay you. "I'm just.... going to rest now." Joonmyun shifted, sliding into a comfortable and somewhat elevated position before drawing one of the sheets up over his still-bare torso; he closed his eyes but didn't sleep, knowing that Sunny would come back in soon to start the treatment once again.
 

 

Dark eyes opened slowly, catching Joonmyun's stare before the human looked down at the blankets. The action made him chuckle a little, and he shifted in his chair as he heard the door open, eyes shifting up to the image of bright and smiling - when wasn't she? - Sunny. 
 
"All right boys, time to start over... I hope you're comfortable, because this time you aren't allowed to move for a couple of hours. I'll put a movie on for you, and I'll be back in a couple of hours to check on you and give you more food."
 
She spoke as she fished up the materials again, tutting Jongin until he'd pushed the chair out into it's lazyboy positioning, before she hooked up the IV, and then turned to do the same for Joonmyun. Jongin glanced around Sunny, watching the human with a small smile, bangs falling into his features as he watched Joonmyun carefully.
 
"Sunny noona, Joonmyun liked your bread. Could you make some more and bring it in later?" he asked softly, looking up at the blonde girl as she stood back to watch the two boys for a moment, making sure the blood was moving properly between them. 
 
Her eyes lt up, and her smile grew, before she nodded. "Sure, darling. It's nice to have someone else who likes it. I'll make up a batch of my nut bread as well, since I know you enjoy that Jongin... Now, you two just relax...this won't take more than a few hours... Do you want me to put some music on or something?" 
 
Jongin shook his head, shifting to get comfortable in his new position as he closed his eyes. "No, it's fine. I've got the remote here. Go on... go do what you have to do. Stop mothering like an old hen. It's kind of weird..."
 
He heard Sunny's indignant 'cluck cluck' before she left the room, and he chuckled faintly as the door shut.