One on one

Torn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Disappointment surged through me.


I couldn’t have expected time to have stood still in Seoul even if it did seem so to me living on a separate continent. But I guess at the back of my mind, naively, I had believed that it would and Jin Woon would be as I had left him, months ago. Desperate to block out memories of the last day I had spent with Jin Woon and images of Sora and him, I dashed to the nearby convenience store.


Yet, I really did mean what I told Kwonnie - I was truly happy for Jin Woon. Happy that his talent had finally gotten the recognition he deserved and interestingly enough, also happy that he and Sora made a good match. The tears I waited for didn’t flow as I stared at the chilled drinks freezer - the emotional rollercoaster I had been on the last few weeks had rendered me the inability to cry, although I couldn’t bring my head around to feel sorry for myself.


This doesn’t mean that Kris is the one for me, I reminded myself sternly. This wasn’t the scenario I had imagined returning to but it didn’t signal that I had to go back running to what was familiar to me. The very reason I had insisted on coming to Seoul University in the first place was to develop my own person. I had never been single before - this was to be part of my self-discovery. Now that I didn’t have to become Mrs Wu, perhaps a very different future awaited me after I did graduated two years later. And maybe now I could join Luna on her grandiose round-the-world trip when we were done with school. That did mean that I had to get my old job at Szechuan Palace back, hopefully Fei still needed part-time help.


In my hurry to escape from the auditorium, it hit upon me that I had forgotten to congratulate Jin Woon about the JV Entertainment gig. Perhaps I could buy him a beer or maybe a jug, if he was still singing at the pubs. We were friends, after all. Besides Jo Kwon and Luna, I couldn’t imagine my life in Korea without the boy. I needed some time to get over the reality that he had a girlfriend but definitely, I couldn’t stinge on the celebratory treat.


Dinner ended up at the tiny counter in the convenience store and I slurped down cup noodles. The small portion wouldn’t tide me through the night and I walked home with a bag of junk food in tow. I was still adjusting to the new structural additions that the campus had, like the new bus stop built just outside the hall of residence. Perhaps I could take the bus home from work if I got my old job at Szechuan Palace back instead of cycling now.


I didn’t pay attention to the lone figure waiting - it was a bus stop after all. Brisk walking as quickly as I could, I recalled how nighttime around the university dormitories was normally quiet save for the odd random drunk student roaming around.


Until I heard a deep, baritone voice softly go, “Amber.”


Jin Woon was perched upon the seat, his long legs tangled around each other. A small smile played on his lips.


“Hell, you scared me!” The initial fright dissipated into relief and a strange sort of longing overcame me. His legs gave way when he tried to stand up and I moved to help Jin Woon before he stumbled to the ground.


“Thank you. My legs fell asleep.” He gave me a sheepish shrug.


Somehow, maybe it was the long absence, there was an air of awkwardness between Jin Woon and me - just like how it was the first night the tall boy walked me home after my shift. “Were you here for a long time?” I asked.


“Since six.”


That was hours ago - and exactly when I left them at the auditorium.


“I have been waiting for you.”


What was going on? Didn’t he have plans to eat with Sora and Kwon? My heart started to pitter-patter again yet I didn’t want to presume anything so I simply nodded.


“Are we going to just stand around like this?” Jin Woon smiled again and this time, this infrequent display of warmth thawed my initial apprehension - he was my good pal regardless.


My body loosened and I laughed, “Well, people are going to think we are homeless. You want to come up to my room?” Once I made the suggestion, it dawned upon me that it was not such a good idea since Luna had been my excuse not to have dinner with them earlier. It would be very odd if Jin Woon came to our empty room - my roomie should be still out with her boyfriend - or even worse, if Luna came back when he was there and started asking questions; that would certainly be uncomfortable. “Maybe not! Luna’s upstairs with her boyfriend. Did you know they finally started dating? She wouldn’t be pleased if we intrude on their private time.” I managed to weave a lie on the fly.


“Perhaps, you would like to go to my place?”


His home? I eyed him and wondered what was on his mind. “I’m alright with that but would Sora be OK?” I was just back for a day - I didn’t want to create any tension between Jin Woon and his girlfriend.


He didn’t reply and instead turned to insert a key into the key slot of the scooter that was parked alongside the curb. “Don’t worry, I got transport now.” Unlocking the tailbox, Jin Woon pulled out a helmet. My surprise must have registered with him for he explained when fitting the helmet on my head and snapping the buckle below my chin for me , “I bought this secondhand. Makes the commute into the city for meetings with the company quicker.”


I was really a fool to believe that nothing would have changed in Seoul, I thought to myself, as I hopped onto the scooter behind Jin Woon as per his instructions and tried not to grasp onto his waist when he navigated the curves.


Idly wondering how different Jin Woon’s apartment would be and actively forcing myself not to think about what happened the last time I was here, I followed the boy up to his door. One step in and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter