The scene

Torn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was only when Junsu discovered me, glued to the ground, did I budge. Numbly, I simply stared at the older man. Heaving a sigh, he told me he was taking me home. Home … I had no business to be here at the hospital; I was barely acquainted with the injured Junho. Really. What the hell was I doing here? Heavy resignation weighed on my feet as I followed Junsu out of the building and into his car.

 

A glance at the digital numbers on the dashboard provided the rude shock back to reality – I had been gone for hours. The clock read 4am. Kris would probably have had a search party organised; I had been missing for far too long. My mobile phone had been busy. There were several text messages from Luna and Kwon and a grand total of 10 missed calls from Kris. God, how was I going to get out of this one? Even when we were living in separate continents, I had ever been so late or missed a scheduled webchat. Boy, this night was going to be even longer than it already was.

 

I must have made a larger sigh than I realised, for Junsu glanced at me quizzically. “Amber, I need your help to keep a watch on Jin Woon.”

 

Me? As if I could do anything. “Oppa, you really think he will go look for that Jae Joong?”

 

There was a cold laugh. “You are truly such an innocent. How lucky you are to live such a life, without any knowledge of the dark side of society.” Junsu said. Was that a hidden tone of envy I detected?

I bowed my head, ashamed. The older man was correct – I had never encountered anyone like Jin Woon and them. I was truly privileged to have worries that seemed like a molehill compared to their mountains; my money problems were a trifle trouble compared to fearing for my life.

 

“I’m sorry Amber, I was a little too harsh.” There was another sigh from him. We seemed to be taking turns to sigh.

 

“It’s alright, you guys are worried about Junho. I completely understand.” It was true; I would be on the edge if it were one of my friends lying in a coma. I mean, look at the way I rushed to the hospital after just one phone call, terrified about what might have happened to Jin Woon. “As for Jin Woon. I don’t think I can help very much.”

 

“Why? Jin Woon likes you very much, you know?” The roads were empty and the car sped along.

 

It had been barely two blinks of an eye ago that Jin Woon had walked away, and out of my life. Junsu’s statement was totally opposite of his actions; perhaps what hurt me the most was that what the older man had said was the truth, yet the truth hurt so badly now.  

 

My ability to remain rational had not left me so I calmly replied, “I really don’t know about that. I have a boyfriend.”

 

There was a sharp inhale of air – Junsu must have been surprised, I guess I really didn’t behave like someone who was obligated to another person. “Ah, I understand. It’s such a pity though. Two of you would have made a good couple.”

 

I bit my bottom lip hard and looked ahead blankly into a distance, not wanting to partake in the conversation anymore. Thankfully, he didn’t say anything more for the remaining of the journey. When I finally bowed goodbye to Junsu, I wondered whether I would ever see him again. I was truly glad that Jin Woon had such good friends.

 

That idle thought scattered into thin air as I approached the penthouse’s main door. It was silent from the inside – the party had ended. I hoped that Kris had not chased everyone out when he realised I had gone missing, although deep down, I knew this was probably what had happened. Dread filled me but I couldn’t not escape and run back to the dorm. I had to face the music … and Kris. I pushed the heavy door open.

 

“Amber Liu Yiyun!” I heard the man before my eyes could find him in the dim living room. Kris sprang up from the sofa. Still in his shirt and jeans, he rushed towards me and grabbed me by my triceps. “Where the were you?”

 

His grip on me was dead tight. “Do you know how worried I was? Luna said you had gone to get food. That was before midnight.”

 

Kris had been smoking; the nicotine breath was unmistakable. He only resorted to cigarettes when going through extreme stress like during exams, I guess this occasion called for extreme measures. Normally, I didn’t approve of him smoking but then, it was futile to broach the subject.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter