A welcome home

Torn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hello all! Before I start on the chapter proper, I want to thank everyone who has commented, especially for the last chapter. I know many are unhappy about Kris' decision and Amber's willingness to go back to Seoul and possibly Jin Woon. What I want to say is, I want my characters to be as real as possible and as much as it is possible for a person to make a sacrifice as big as Kris has done so, it is also possible and totally human for a person to not be in love with someone who truly loves her and want to lead her own life and fall in love her own way - it may seem selfish to some but no one is without flaws. I'm sorry if Amber is not an angel here - I too adore stories in which Amber can do no wrong, thanks authors who fuel my desire for a perfect Amber - but I am trying to build a character as human and multi-faceted (not to say the other stories aren't" and to the Amber here, is as perfect as I want her to be.

 

 

That being said, thank you again for reading this. I can understand if this story turns anyone off, especially Krisber fans, and people stop reading this. But still, I want to thank you all for letting me know how you feel. :)

 

 

Onward!

______

 

September, Seoul Korea


Only one person knew that I was moving back. I had to check with Luna to see my side of the room was still vacant before I returned to Seoul. Over Skype, she was beyond excitement about the news but upon my return, I stood in one corner of the dormitory smirking as she picked up various articles of clothing and lecture notes off what had been my bed. In a little more than half a year, Luna’s belongings enroached into my territory. Well, I could only hope that those were her belongings.


“If I find a , I will kill you,” I wasted no time in teasing her and gleefully watched Luna’s cheeks flare hot at my statement.


“Aw Am, it’s not like that!” My roommate threw a sweatshirt in my face, in retaliation.


Flopping down onto her chair still the cradling the sweatshirt, I asked casually, “So does Onew stay over often?” Her face grew even redder but she pretended not to have heard me and continued clearing my half of the space. “I don’t want to intrude you two lovebirds. Maybe I should find another place to stay ...”


Luna dropped some pens onto the table and protested, “No, I missed you so much last semester Amber. Please come back. It’s not the same without you.”


“I missed you too, babe,” I said, hugging her. It felt good to be back, our room was looking back to normal now - although I wondered just how much had more changed.


“Wait a minute,” Luna broke away from the hug. “I thought you transferred to the University of California permanently to join Kris. What happened?”


Right, I had managed to leave out the reason why I came back over Skype but now that I was here in the flesh, there was no way I could squirm out of my roommate’s inquiry. Taking a deep breath, I simply said, “We decided to take a break.”


Her eyes grew misty, my poor roommate had always been a sentimental softie. She took my hand and asked, “Why?”


“Kris graduated and we wanted to take some time apart to see whether we were really meant for each other.” Funny how the entire state of affairs didn’t seem so absurd when watered down and condensed.


Somehow, I could see where Kris was coming from - no one could deny Uncle Wu’s revelation that our betrothal was faux had changed our lives and beliefs. Perhaps I had been selfish by not stubbornly insisting to stay with him. I did try once the night he gave me the ring, however he had firmly stood his ground. The next few days went past in a haze - the time we spent in Daikanyama each year was our own special private holiday - Kris seemed like a completely different person, almost a stranger. He was assertive as always, making the arrangements for me, except this time it was to move back, away from him.


The numbness steeped into me as I tried not to get ahead of myself - I would have been lying if I said that the possibility of seeing Jin Woon again didn’t give me a tiny thrill. I had a ring on my finger and I didn’t know exactly what it meant.


The night before I left for Seoul, Kris and I sat out on the balcony, silently appreciating the last legs of summer. Our fingers intertwined - I had trouble believing that this could possibly be one of the last times I would hold Kris’ hand like that. Yet as I observed his side profile, it dawned upon me that Kris was right. I would terribly unfair for me to live out the rest of my life by his side while still having someone else on my mind. To have two men in my heart - that would be most unfair situation to both me and Kris. I was genuinely surprised to find out that Kris had discovered this before I did. He had realised that there was no point in having my person, if I didn’t wholeheartedly love him.


I knew Kris loved me. His last hoarse whisper was a “I love you” followed by a swift kiss on the lips before he pushed me in the direction of the airport gates. It hurt, this plan he had come up with, of course without consulting me beforehand. Yet I knew tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter