Suspicious Kevin

The Chronicles of Neverland

Soohyun, Hoon and Kiseop were sitting at a bench on the deck. The ship was crossing the ocean, the crew desperately trying to catch a glimpse of any other ships.

 

“Do you think we can trust him?” Kiseop asked the other two, nodding towards the boy named Kevin, who was right now leaning towards the railing and blankly looking in front of him in deep thought.

 

“I don't think he looks like someone who we should be afraid of, rather like someone who we should be afraid for,” Hoon stated, examining the boy's fragile figure with his glance.

 

“I agree,” Soohyun said. “Seems like it's his first time in such a situation as well. We should make sure he won't get hurt.” He looked down and sighed. “I wonder how Dongho's doing...”

 

“He's gonna be fine... he's Dongho!” Kiseop assured him, followed by Hoon's nod. Soohyun sighed one more time. Hopefully, it will be fine...

 

Kevin on the other hand was lost in his thoughts. He didn't perceive anything that was happening around him, the wind playing with his blond hair, the wild salt water running under and all around the ship, the voices he heard from the inside of the ship. He was breathing hard, but was too occupied by his thoughts to notice. I'm coming. I'm finally one step closer. I'll do everything in order to find you.

 

A couple of hours passed like this, with no change, and the crew members were gradually losing their hope with every single minute passing by. Suddenly one of the sailors shouted out. Everyone stood up, trying to catch a glimpse of what he had seen as well. And when the ship proceeded further, everyone could see an outline of two ships, both anchored in the void ocean, not moving. The boys grew excited and nervous, worried about Dongho. Kevin was filled with anticipation and watched the two ships with interest. They were coming closer and closer. Finally they were right next to them and threw their anchor into the water.

 

The pirates of course had already seen them and were being prepared. Everyone saw there were too many of them for their crew to beat them easily.

 

“We have no choice,” Soohyun said and prepared himself to let the planks down and proceed on the other ship.

 

He stepped out, but was suddenly stopped by Kevin, who stood in front of him casually and raised his hand, shaking his head. Soohyun shoot him a confused look.

 

“You don't stand a chance,” he commented. Kiseop smirked.

 

“Yeah, we know that. Are you scared now? You were the one who begged us to let you go with us.”

 

But Kevin just shook his head. “You guys don't trust me, do you? But you'll have to. Just remember, everyone, when I tell you, cover your ears tightly.” He stepped out of Soohyun's way and motioned him to continue. Soohyun was rather confused, but he did what had to be done and everyone started boarding the pirate ship.

 

The pirates were more numerous and stronger as well. Soohyun and Hoon were coping quite well, Kiseop was using his magical potions as well, but it was not enough. But Kevin was still waiting. He hid and was secretly monitoring how many pirates was on the board and how many were inside or on the other ship. When he saw that most of them had gathered around the area, he shouted out: “Now! Do it!”

 

Soohyun and Hoon covered their ears immediately, the rest of their crew as well, but Kiseop just smirked. “What could he do so amazing?”

 

Kevin revealed his wings (because fairies had wings, which were not normally visible and allowed them to fly shortly) and started floating a few meters above the floor. He took a deep breath and started singing. His voice filled the air and the pirates were confused at first, turning around to see where the voice was coming from. But soon energy started leaving their bodies and they couldn't even remember their own name. One by one, they started falling down, their motionless bodies kept lying on the board.

 

“What's... this...” Kiseop murmured, his mouth refusing to form any more words. His eyes went shut and he joined the pirates on the floor.

 

Deep inside the ship, in his dark cabin, Dongho had heard a lot of noise before. He was unsure what was happening, so he decided to just stay silent and wait. Suddenly he heard an abnormally sweet, gentle voice, and his eyelids started becoming heavy once more. Not again, this was his last thought before he lost consciousness for the second time in one day.

 

Kevin stopped singing and motioned everyone to stop covering their ears. Everyone looked around them in disbelief and then at Kevin.

 

“Wow, you got some skills,” Soohyun acknowledged him and showed him thumbs up.

 

“But... Kiseop...” Hoon bended down to look at his friend's sleeping face.

 

“They are all just sleeping. Don't worry, nothing will happen to him, we'll just need to keep him in mind and not forget him here,” Kevin explained, giggling a bit in the end because it was Kiseop's fault for not trusting him.

 

“Let's find your friend while we have time,” he rushed them.

 

“Oh, yes,” Soohyun's leader-like side has awoken. “Everyone search for Dongho!”

 

Everyone spread and searched for him. Finally a locked cabin was discovered and after examining a few nearby pirates' clothes, they found the key. They luckily found a sleeping Dongho there, and they immediately carried him out.

 

They brought both Dongho and Kiseop on their ship and everyone boarded. But Kevin was no where to be found.

 

“Where could he be? He got lost right after the search started,” Hoon said.

 

“Let's go look for him, we can't leave him here,” Soohyun suggested.

 

Still in the pirate ship, Kevin was desperately going through old papers in one of the cabins. Come on, come on. I don't have much time left. Please... He messed up his hair in frustration. Was this all for nothing?

 

“Kevin.”

 

“Oh...” he turned around.

 

“What are you doing here?” Soohyun approached him with a questionable look. “We've already found Dongho. We need to leave now.”

 

At least their friend got saved, Kevin thought. That's a good thing. Screw it, I'll need to find another chance.

 

“Okay, let's leave.”

 

 

 

Back in the castle, Dongho and Kiseop had already woken up, the boys and Kevin were gathered in the king's chamber.

 

“So you were the one who made me fall asleep like that?” Dongho studied Kevin's face.

 

“Umm, yes...”

 

“Well, thank you!” he smiled. “You helped them save me!”

 

“Yeah, I totally didn't expect that...” Kiseop said, rubbing the back of his head.

 

“But how did you do that?” Hoon asked.

 

“Well, you have probably already noticed, I'm a fairy...” he paused a bit. “It's my power. Hypnosis with my singing voice. I'm not capable of controlling it fully yet, especially when there are so many people. That's why I had to ask you to cover your ears, because it's not quite easy to only focus it on the enemies.”

 

“Oh, I thought it was impressive even like that,” Soohyun nodded.

 

“Where are you from?” Dongho tilted his head.

 

“I-I'm from Raindrop Town...” Kevin said the name of his hometown.

 

“Raindrop Town...” Dongho repeated in thought, as if he knew something hidden.

 

Kevin cleared his throat. “Anyway, I'm happy to have met you all! But I have something to ask... do you know about a place here I could stay at?”

 

“You can stay with us,” Soohyun said immediately. “Right? We, the lost boys, have something like a dorm here. There's a lot of us there. And we often offer a refuge place to lost boys with no place to come to. One fairy won't make a difference, right?”

 

“Really? I mean, I could stay for free?” Soohyun nodded. “Wow! That's so nice of you... I'd be so happy to stay with you guys!”

 

 

 

The boys showed Kevin their place and introduced him to the other lost boys. Kevin seemed like a really sweet and friendly person and was smiling at everyone. Soohyun watched him, images of Kevin begging them to let him go fight pirates with them, watching the water with a blank, serious face, singing with determination in order to make the pirates fall asleep and being found in the cabin in the pirate ship with a tint of nervousness in his face popping up in his mind. Who was this Kevin? Why did he come here when he had no where to go? What were the motives behind going with them? Soohyun didn't think Kevin was possibly a bad person. He did see the sincerity in his eyes when he saved Dongho. But he was sure there was something they didn't know. Maybe Kevin would tell them later. Maybe there wasn't a reason for them to know. But it made Soohyun really curious.

 

Kevin went to rest for a while. He lied on the bed and took out an old picture. He frowned.

 

“Oppa was not able to find anything that could bring me closer to you today... I'm sorry. But I will definitely succeed. I promised you. Just wait for me. I miss you, -”

 

“Kevin, come to eat something,” he was interrupted by Hoon just when he was about to mutter his sister's name. He jumped slightly and hid the picture. “Okay, I'm coming.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean, “attacked”? What do you mean, “they took Shin Dongho away”?!” Captain Mordney was furious. He has almost succeeded and it was suddenly ruined? How was this even possible?

 

“We don't know the details, sir... We fought them and we were winning... and then all we remember is that we woke up and everyone was gone. Even Dongho.”

 

“What kind of lame excuse is that?”

 

“I-I have no clue what happened! It must have been magic!”

 

“You're very lucky... I'll let you off this time. But you better succeed next time!”

 

“Yes, sir-”

 

“Now get lost!!”


Thanks to my 2 new subscribers and to you, Musicstar128, for your comment! It makes me more confident when I see that at least someone likes it :)