For all I'm worth

You and I, Both

That was all I had- a ring, a diary and memories. My mother’s ring, father’s diary and just memories. Memories of the beautiful house I once had. Father’s gentle smile and mother’s sweet brownies. Memories of the day I started walking to the day my brother was born to the time I announced my engagement. Gone. They were all gone. Burned down by this wretched fire from the beauty it was to ash, no nothing, blown away by the wind.

 As I stare at the nothingness that was left behind  I feel tears flowing down cheeks but I refuse to admit that I am crying, because that was two years ago and I still haven’t gotten over it. It was half my fault after all. I refuse to take all the blame for it. We did this together.

I feel warmth embrace me and I don’t have to look back to know who it is. It’s him. It’s always him. My solace, my shoulder to cry on, my comfort, my everything. My husband and the only person who survived the fire. But also half of the reason why they burned down the house with themselves locked in. half of the reason that brought so much shame to our family. My brother, Baekhyun, the one I happily lost everything for.

He pulls me closer and walks me towards our car and gently sets me in the passenger seat as he walks over to the other side. I’m still crying but even though he’s younger than me he’s the stronger one of the of us so he takes hold of my hand and drives us to our house all the way across the country, where we lived our new life, where no one knew us. I look at mother’s ring on my ring finger and remember her smile.