Rules

The Story of a young gaming "addict"

 

"Rules. Number one. Finish your homework before you can play. I'll be checking your homework.
 
Number two. Maximum two hours per day." Kyuhyun started to protest, but his mother cut him short. "No, no buts. If not you won't see it ever again."
 
"Number three. You can't bring it to school. Number four. Any violation to any of the rules would result in immediate destruction of your gameboy. Arraso?"
 
Kyuhyun sighed, not liking the rules. But he nodded. Anything to just get back his baby, even though it's a short amount of time.
 
The next day, Kyuhyun put on his neatly pressed uniform and looked at his reflection.
 
It was the first time he had looked at himself since he gotten his gameboy. His mop of coal-black hair shone in the morning light and his teeth were shiny white.
 
Yes, he looked smart, like a student. It was the first time he had not sloppily put on his uniform because his eyes were too glued to the screen.
 
But still the same, he wanted his baby with him 24/7 . Make sure his baby is safe from his evil mother's crutches. He sighed and exited his room, literally dragging his feet.
 
His mother gave him his breakfast and kissed him on his forehead. "Be good in school and have fun~"she chirped as Kyuhyun left for school. He rolled his eyes, thinking how would he have fun in school when his baby wasn't with him. However, he waved goodbye to his mother and walked to school.
 
In the past, he would walk with his baby in his hands, and avoid collision with any non-virtual object with the sight in the corner of his eyes. It was like playing two games at once. He liked it. He missed it.
 
He sighed again and pouted at the pavement. Stones scattered at his kicks and he walked silently to school.
 
At class, his teacher was no doubt, pleased at his unusually good concentration on the lesson.
 
She was also surprised that he could solve math problem as easy as breathing, when he put his heart into it. When class ended, she went up to Kyuhyun and smiled.
 
"You're doing good! Keep it up."
 
Kyuhyun nodded shyly and mumbled a thanks. He wasn't used to compliments.
 
Other teacher were impressed with his performance. They didn't know that Cho Kyuhyun, the boy who doesn't pay attention in class, actually could perform well in class. They showered him with compliments and he started to feel good about himself. He still missed his baby though.
 
During break, he would usually sit alone below the tree and play Monsters avengers with his gameboy. But since he could no longer do that, he stared into the canteen bewilderedly, not sure of where to sit. The canteen was buzzing with conversation and Kyuhyun felt somewhat intimidated by it.
 
"You alright?" the same boy from yesterday asked him with a curious expression on his face.
 
Kyuhyun blinked at him, seemingly puzzled that someone talked to him.
 
The other boy chuckled and guided him to the place he usually sits with his friends. His friends narrowed their eyes as him and Kyuhyun approached them.
 
"Who have you got here, Sungmin? The ultimate geek?" one sneered.
 
Kyuhyun growled and Sungmin sighed.
 
"Don't judge so fast, Kwangun."
 
The other guys snorted and laughed it off.
 
"Don't judge? Huh, it's so obvious he's a good-for-nothing geek. I don't need to judge to know that!" they proceeded to laugh over their so-called joke.
 
Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at them before going off.
 
Sungmin shot his friends a disgusted look before rushing after Kyuhyun.
 
"Yah, yah, wait!" he yelled. Kyuhyun pretended not to hear him and veered off to the tree where he usually spends his break at.
 
Sungmin caught up with him placed his hand on Kyuhyun's shoulder. Kyuhyun snarled, "Leave me alone."
 
Sungmin tsked and said, "Calm down, those guys are only jesting."
 
Kyuhyun turned around snapped, "But they're right aren't they? I'm a good-for-nothing."
 
Sungmin sighed and softly said, "You aren't. Isn't that obvious from the compliments you received from teachers today? You are good-for-anything, as long as you believe it yourself. I believe in you."
 
Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin, touched and surprised.
 
"B-but how can you believe in me? We barely know each other."
 
Sungmin smiled, "I just can."
 
Kyuhyun slowly began to smile, and stretched out his hand. "I'm Cho Kyuhyun." he introduced.
 
Sungmin took his hand and shook it happily. "I'm Lee Sungmin."