Strike

The Story of a young gaming "addict"

 

True to his words, he didn’t eat, drink, bathe or sleep.

His eyebags were very pronounced and he struggled to keep his eyes open. His mother couldn’t bear to see him so tired for school. But she couldn’t bear to give in to him. He was too obsessed with his games. His father also regretted buying gameboy for Kyuhyun, but the withdrawal symptoms were too late to prevent. He was officially a game addict, at 12.

It wasn’t uncommon for boys at his age to be obsessed with video games, but Kyuhyun was too over the top. He didn’t care about anything else, except for his gameboy, which he named “Baby.”

Kyuhyun collapsed on his desk at school. He was too tired to even lift an eyelid.

A group of girls came up to him. One of them sneered, “Where’s your baby, geek?”

Kyuhyun mumbled without opening his eyes, ”What?”

“You’re always with that baby of yours, isn’t it?”Another one said.

“Why do you care.” He muttered.

“Oh~ Geek is without his baby~ and he’s cross~” someone cooed.

Kyuhyun sighed and buried his head in the crook of his arm. He wasn’t bothered with those ninnies that always made fun of him. They’re a bunch of stupid girls that only care about their face and infatuated boys.

“Hey girls, stop disturbing him. He doesn’t seem okay.”

The girls pouted and whined, “Oppa~ we aren’t disturbing him~”

The boy snorted and waved them away. “Go away.”

The girls pouted and immediately jumped on their next prey, a plump boy that is constantly eating.

“Hey, are you alright?” The boy asked Kyuhyun.

“Leave me alone.” Kyuhyun mumbled into his arm.

The boy sighed. He always saw Kyuhyun playing his gameboy before school and it just seemed weird that for once, he wasn’t holding his precious device in his hands. The boy left him alone and Kyuhyun continued sleeping, even when the teacher entered the classroom.

His teacher noticed the sleeping boy and cleared loudly. Kyuhyun didn't even move his eyelids. She walked up to his desk and knocked on his table. He didn't stir.

"Cho Kyuhyun!" she yelled, making Kyuhyun jerk up and away from his lalaland.

"Eh?" he said, while blinking slowly.

"Class is starting. Don't sleep." his teacher said, and walked back to the front of the class. He yawned and rubbed his eyes. He felt as if a thousand tonnes of rock had been tied on his eyelids, and not a minute later, his head was resting on his desk again.

His teacher was annoyed, but she ignored him until the end of lesson. The bell rang, and she walked up to Kyuhyun's desk again.

"Kyuhyun. Wake up." she prodded the limp body. He didn't even respond.

She rolled his head to face outwards and the paleness of his skin and lips frightened her.

He must have fainted.

She told other classmates not to crowd around him so as to give him space to breathe while she ran to find a male teacher to carry Kyuhyun to the sick bay.

The school nurse examined him and said that he was just dehydrated, famished, and tired. His teacher sighed deeply, relieved. She thanked the nurse, who helped to coax Kyuhyun into eating and drinking. They had woken him up with some smelling salts. He was about the stench and pushing away the food and water offered to him. Although it appealed very much to him, he was insistent that he must still be on strike.

His teacher exited the room and dialled Kyuhyun's mother number.

"Yeobseyo?" his mother answered.

"Annyeonghaseyo, it's Ms Kim. Your son seems to be not feeling well. He had fainted in class just now."

"What?!"

"Did you do something to him after yesterday's call? I'm sorry that i had negative comments about your son, but please do not take it out on him."

"No, i just confiscated his gameboy, like you suggested. Then he declared that he is on strike."

Despite the seriousness of the matter, his teacher chucked over that.

"He really is a stubborn boy."

His mother sighed over the line. "I don't know what to do with him really, Ms Kim."

"How about trying to limit the amount of time he has with his gameboy?"

"Oh! Why didn't i think of that? Thank you very much, Ms Kim."

"You're welcome." she smiled and hung up. She went into the sick bay and looked at the sickly pale Kyuhyun.

"I've talked to your mother. Do eat something, or you won't be able to meet your gameboy later."

Kyuhyun stared blankly at his teacher, still deciphering what she said. Then, he gobbled up the energy bar the nurse gave to him and gulped down a jug of water. Then, he went to sleep for the rest of the school day.

After school, he practically ran all the way home after school. He couldn't wait to reunite with his baby.

"Umma!" he shouted, banging open the door. His mother tsked at his eagerness and held out his gameboy. He yelped, bursting with glee. "My Baby!" he cooed while hugging his gameboy to him. His mother shook her head, sighing. She gently removed the gameboy from his embrace, causing him to pout.

 

"Rules first.”