No more

The Story of a young gaming "addict"

 

"Come on you stupid monster. Die!" he mumbled, jerking his hands about agitated, completely absorbed in the little virtual world of monsters and such. Kyuhyun walked up the path to his home, fished out his house keys from his school pants pocket, jabbed the key for the front door into the lock and twisted it. All without looking up from the bright flashing screen gripped in his hands.
 
It was all routine for him.
 
"I'm home, umma!" he yelled, and kicked off his shoes.
 
He was beating the wicked monster in the game. Just one more whack..
 
A coarse hand wrapped around the device in the little boy's hand and jerked it away from his tight grasp.
 
He wailed. "Umma, what is it?" he looked up to see a frowning woman in her thirties, eyebrows deeply set in a frown, lips pursed in a tight line, and brown eyes filled with disappointment.
 
"Cho Kyuhyun. Your teacher called just now."
 
He felt indifferent. His teachers always called, to complain that he never listens in class, never does his assignments, never having a pass for his exams. What's the big deal with all those boring stuff anyway? Aliens and monsters were much more interesting anyway.
 
"You got a D for math again. Other kids are getting As. Why can't you do the same?"
 
"I can't help it if i'm born stupid.." he lamented.
 
"You're not stupid. You're just a lazy bum. If you spent more time in your work than your games, you'll naturally do well. Your appa is a teacher, you can't be not smart!"
 
"You're giving me stress." Kyuhyun sighed, reaching for the console clasped in his mother's hand. She withdrew her hand away and shook her head at him.
 
"You're not taking this seriously. I am going to confiscate your gameboy, until you change for the better. Start now." she sternly said.
 
He stared wide-eyed at his mother. Usually his mother let him do what he wanted, but now she wants to control him? He didn't think so. He's gonna show who's the boss here.
 
He crossed his arms and haughtily said, "I don't care."
 
"I mean it. If you're not gonna care, say bye to your gameboy. I will throw it away if you don't obey."
 
"Fine." he glared at his mother shortly before storming into his room.
 

Kyuhyun slammed the door and pouted. Life was so unfair. All those stupid work from a stupid place called school spoiled his whole afternoon.  And his umma was being unreasonable. He just got a frickin’ D for math! What’s the big deal with math anyway! It’s just stupid numbers that you play around with.

Now, his gameboy was confiscated. No more pokemon, no more Mario bros, nothing. He grimly plopped down on his head and yelled into his pillow.

His sister was practicing violin in the room beside him. He pounded his fists against his pillow, the music was irritating him.

Everything was irritating, without his gameboy now.

 
Suddenly, he thought of a way to get back his beloved.
 
Strike.
 
His mother came into his room, to call him out for dinner. She was surprised to see him with a white cloth wrapped around his forehead.
 
ON STRIKE was written in dark red writing across the band.
 
His mother almost laughed at his demeanor. He was a stubborn boy, and he always got what he wanted.
 
He looked up when his mother entered the room.
 
"I'm on strike." he said as a matter of fact, as if the writing scrawled across the forehead band wasn't obvious enough. "I'm not going to eat. Or drink. Or bathe. Or sleep."
 
He gave his mother a challenging stare.
 
Oh this boy...