The role of a backup dancer

I’m a back-up for dance, not for love!

 

**Wooyoung’s perspective**

 

The music starts to play, and our group will dance to Bigbang’s ‘Tonight’. The sunbaes acted as the Bigbang members, while us newbies together with some sunbaes danced as their backups.

 

It has only been 30 minutes when we learned the dance. But I was surprised that we got to pick up the steps easily. Now it’s time to perform!

 

-after the dance-

 

I now realize how important a backup dancer is. They take care of the smooth flow of the performance. They guide the artists if they forgot their positions.

 

Like what one of the sunbaes did a while ago. He kicked the mic stand to a different direction, and that’s my call to stop it from falling and push it to the other direction.

 

Actually our performance was with a ‘messed up Bigbang’. The sunbaes keep on messing up and do mistakes. That’s for us, newbies, to do our part. We did everything professionally. We did everything just to save the performance of the ‘messed up Bigbang’.

 

~~

 

**Suzy’s Perspective**

 

The first group’s performance was great! The sunbaes were funny messing up the performance while my co-newbies did well doing their job. I should also do great in my performance. It’s now our turn. We will dance to 2ne1’s ‘Nega Jaeil Jalaga [I am the best]’.

 

Like the other group, we newbies acted as the backup dancers.

 

 It was quite difficult to learn the moves. It has fast pace and snappy movements. But I think I will still do well. I should be prepared for the sunbaes’ mistakes.

 

The music started…

 

Omo. I missed a beat! Oh no! I’m out of timing! This is bad!

 

I looked at the audience and saw Hae Ri, she was looking at me and mouthed ‘fighting’.

 

I should do well!

 

I was able to catch up to the music. And I managed to have expression on my face.

 

The music was about to end, but I haven’t noticed any mistake from the Unnies dancing as 2ne1.

 

~~

 

**Hae Ri’s perspective**

 

“Oh there’s no mistake?” Suzy asked as their music stopped.

 

Yeah..I also didn’t notice any mistake. So, what’s the lesson there?

 

Oh! It’s our turn already. Our dance is different from the other 2 groups. We were taught the choreography for GD&TOP’s ‘Chibe Kajima [Don’t go home]’.

 

This has a musical feel to it. We dance as if we’re acting.

 

Sunbaes’ act as GD and TOP, and an Unnie acts as the main girl character, then the rest of us act as the backup. Of course, I’m on the girl’s side.

 

I don’t know what will happen on our performance now. We’re not on stage yet as the music started.

 

Now it’s our time! We acted like we’re comforting Unnie. Then we danced to the chorus part.

 

We were about to exit the stage again when ‘TOP’ reached for me and pulled me to the centre of the stage. What to do??

 

I glanced at Unnie on my side acting naturally. Then I copied what she’s doing. I danced around ‘TOP’ and just acted nice. Then it’s again time for chorus and I went to my original position.

 

The performance ended nicely. Whew~ now we’re done!

 

~~

 

“Good job everyone!” Vic said.

 

Everyone clapped happily.

 

“So now, we’ll discuss what we have seen through your performances. These are just some of the problems we might encounter during a performance. On the first group, we saw that the main artists are in a bad condition. Of course as a backup dancer, it’s our job to keep the performance safe and beautifully done. There are times where the artists will forget their parts, sometimes they just go wild and forget their positions. We should just stay calm in those situations and act naturally as we clean the mess they did.”

 

Everyone nodded and agreed. The newbies are listening very carefully as Vic talk.

 

“With the second group, we saw that the artists are performing well…”

 

The newbies nodded and talked to each other a bit, wondering what the problem is in there.

 

“… But what we didn’t pay attention too is their blocking. They were too engrossed with their performance that they forgot to spread out and take over the stage. Now with that, though we have our assigned position, we should adjust to a position where the stage will not look dull. Also, you should be in a position where you can be seen by the audience.”

 

Everyone agreed.

 

“Yes, everyone should see how great we are. We’re not JUST backup dancers, we ARE backup dancers!” Eunhyuk said full of confidence.

 

With that the newbies gained confidence.

 

“Yes, that’s right Eunhyuk.” Vic said.

 

“So, for the next, and last, performance, we saw that the artist made a mistake by dragging someone else. That usually happens when a performance has a musical feel. In that situation, like I said a while ago, act naturally. Actually that’s the main lesson in this activity. Whatever odd situation you’re in, just act naturally, be calm, and of course don’t forget the choreography.” Vic said as she eyed on the dancers who made some mistakes with the choreography.

 

Some of the dancers also eyed on those who made mistakes. But they didn’t take it badly. They just lowered their head while laughing a bit.

 

“Of course, artists will depend on us. What if an artist asked you to teach them that part, it will be embarrassing if you don’t’ know that. You get the point? Out of everyone on stage, we, backup dancers, we should be the one who are most familiar with the choreography and flow of the performance.”

 

“Now, before we go home, I’ll announce the groups assigned per artists…”


Thank you for reading! :)