First Round

I’m a back-up for dance, not for love!

 

Everyone’s busy in Beats and Rhythm Dance Choreography Company’s largest dance room. Staffs are busy preparing the room, arranging the judges’ desk, checking the sounds, and preparing the stage. This will be the place where the dreams of 50—out of the thousands—auditionees will come true.

 

For its 5th year as a company, B&R will accept another batch of dancers that will be part of their company.

 

“Beats and Rhythm Dance Choreography Company started as a dance crew with 15 members in year 2000. We joined several dance contests, local and broadcasted dance contests. We became quite popular in 2002 when we won the most popular dance contest in South Korea…”

                                    *crowd applauds and cheers loudly*

“…the Search for Korea’s Best Dance Crew.”

                                      *crowd applauds*

“As you all know, the winner in that competition represents the country in a worldwide dance competition in California, USA. Against other 10 countries, yours truly won.”

                                      *crowd cheers*

“As we become more popular, we realized that we couldn’t stop doing the thing that we love the most—dancing and choreographing performances. We SHOULD NOT stop that. So we decided that we will establish our own company. To continue and pass the things we loved and believed in to the next generation. We’re not after the money or popularity. We want to fulfil the dreams of young dancers like you, we want to continuously inspire people, and we just want the river to keep flowing.”

                                        *crowd applauds*

“We’re becoming older. We feel like we’ve already reached our dreams and we’re all fulfilled with our lives now. Now it’s your time to fulfil your dreams!”

                                          *crowd cheers*

“In 10 minutes the auditions will start. Do your best to impress us. Make us feel you and your dance. So, for now, rest, relax, and calm your mind. Thank you for listening, and good luck to all of you!”

                                           *crowd applauds and cheers*

After the opening program, auditionees went to different places to find their happy place. Some rested and ate. Some continued to practice their audition performance. Some came in groups, some went alone.

Lee Hae Ri is one of those who came alone to audition.

 

**Lee Hae Ri’s perspective**

 

This is it. The moment I’ve been waiting for. I’ve been a fan of B&R dance crew after they’ve won the competition in California in 2003, and I was 9 years old at that time. I’m one of the many people they’ve inspired through their dancing. Ever since I became a fan, I’ve been practicing and practicing thinking that I’ll be good like them when I grow up. Now I will not just become as good as them, I will be part of them! I know I can do this! I’m excited and nervous at the same time. Whooo~ breath in-breath out.

 

I’m glad that I’ve heard what Mr. Park Jay Beom (Jay as people call him) said a while ago in the opening program. He’s the one I like the most in the crew. What he said a while ago brings back all the memories. How they inspired me, how I became like his because of them, why I went here to audition. This is the best way to start the audition day.

 

*Attention everyone. The first 20 auditionees please proceed to the audition room now. Again, to the first 20 auditionees, please proceed to the audition room now, thank you.*

 

Whew~ My number is 37. Maybe I’m on the 3rd batch.

I will just stay here and relax until my number is called.

 

-----after an hour------

 

*Attention everyone. The auditionees numbers 21-40, please proceed to the audition room now. Again, auditionees numbers 21-40, please proceed to the audition room now, thank you.*

 

Oh my god!!!! I’m included in that batch! Whoo.whoo.whooo calm down! You can do this Lee Hae Ri!!

 

-----in the audition room-----

 

So this is how this audition goes. Everyone (meaning 20 people) will be on the same stage dancing to one song. With a random music chosen from the music pieces that the auditionees gave, 10 people that stand out from the crowd will be chosen. Those 10 will perform individually. At the end of this day, the 50 dancers will be announced.

 

This is nerve racking!!! Breathe in-breath out! You can do this Lee Hae Ri! 9 years of hard work, 9 years of waiting, now you’re on this place, it’s time for you to shine!!!

 

I was assigned to be on the second row, the second from the left (from the audiences’ point of view). Whatever place I’m in, I will still stand out!

 

The music started and it’s not the piece that I passed. But good enough, the beat is quite near to what my music has. So I started dancing, first with safe and calm movements, but as the music gets louder and faster, I didn’t realized that I was now dancing wildly and energetically. I did some pop-and-lock movements, cramping, and some stunts like hand stand and those b-boy thing. I felt happy! As I was dancing, my nervousness fade away and he joy from dancing overcomes me. I never felt this happy from dancing before.

 

After a while, the music ended. I didn’t know that the music is about to end, good thing that my last move is appropriate as an ending.

 

I was breathing heavily, but I can feel the huge smile on my face.

 

It’s now time to announce the top 10. We were grouped into 5, and only the two groups will qualify for the next round. I was not able to see or have a glance on the performance of my group mates, so I don’t know if I’m in a bad or good group.

 

I saw the judges talking and whispering to each other while pointing something on the paper that they hold.

 

“We will first comment on your performances, negatives first. Some of you were just all over the place. Some didn’t care about the beat, rhythm, and harmony. Some just jumped and rolled like they have spring on their feet. Some just danced, without feelings. THIS IS A DANCE COMPANY. We dance to communicate. We don’t just dance without coordination and feelings. We don’t just jump and roll. Hope you all understand what I’m saying here.” Mr. Jay said

 

That made me think about my performance, was I all over the place?

 

“Now, it’s time for the positive things. Some of you, well, all of you danced great. The only line that separates the top 10 is their emotions, feelings, and way of communicating to the audience. As a dancer, connection to the audience is the most important thing. Another thing, we saw some of you enjoy the performance. Pressure and nervousness can’t be seen in some people’s faces. That’s a good point. In dancing, the best way to make your performance look good is by enjoying it.” Ms. Song Victoria (popularly known as Vic) said. She’s my favourite female dancer in the group, most favorite dancer next to Mr. Jay. :)

 

“Now we’ll announce the group that qualifies for the next round” Mr. Lee Dong Hae (known as Dong Hae) said. He is included in the first batch that was accepted in this company, now he is one of the best choreographers in the country.

 

“Groups B and C, you are qualified for the next round! Congratulations! For the other groups, thank you for trying out. Continue dancing!” Mr. Dong Hae said.

 

Wait. Groups B and C? Oh my I’m in group B!!!!! This is great!!!! I qualify for the next round!!

 

Cheers from the qualified auditionees filled the room.

 

“Now, please get ready with your solo performances.” Ms. Vic said.

 


 

Thank you for reading :)

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

Please do subscribe and comment. Don't be shy. :) say whatever you want,

I'll gladly accept whatever you say (negative or positive)

 

once again, Thank you! :)