Next Round

I’m a back-up for dance, not for love!

 

We were given 10 minutes to prepare, so I listened to my music piece through my iPod.

 

But wait. What if we again don’t dance with our own music? Waah~ this is really a difficult audition! But don’t worry Lee Hae Ri! I know you can do this!

 

All I need to do is have a glimpse of the other auditionees’ practice. So I removed my earphones and paid attention to the other 9 auditionees in the room.

 

~~

 

Hae Ri looked at each of the person practicing in that same room.

 

They are only 10 persons in that room, all of them are from the same batch of auditionees. Some kept practicing, while some just get some rest while listening to their music.

 

One guy sitting at the other corner is doing the same thing Hae Ri is doing—observing the other auditionees.

 

This guy has an average height, cute face, and a milky white skin. His name is Jang Wooyoung.

 

Jang Wooyoung came from a family of singers. Almost everyone in his family is a singer or loves to sing. But he is different, he doesn’t like singing, what he loves to do is dancing.

 

~~

 

**Jang Wooyoung’s perspective**

 

Look at these guys here…dancing as if they were the greatest. Showing off their muscled body…that is really not necessary. Dancing can be seen through your moves, not with your muscles. And these girls here…acting like they’re so damn hot. Truth is they look like some cheap dancers with those pieces of cloths. Are those left over cloths? It shows almost every inch of their skin. What is happening to these people?!

 

I think I can manage to pass this audition. Compared to these people, I’m waaaaaaaaaaay better!

 

And I can’t even find a girl that I will like here, not even some guy that I’ll be friends with…

 

~~

 

While looking at the other people in the room, Hae Ri and Wooyoung caught each other’s sight. They are both looking at each other intensly.

 

**Hae Ri’s perspective**

 

This guy is looking at me! What is his problem?! But why isn’t he practicing? I will not know what kind of music he’ll dance. Hmmmm…Looking at his figure, looks like he’s not that good. No toned muscles, means he doesn’t practice a lot. But wait…I think I saw him dance a while ago when they announced we’re qualified…hmmm….

 

**Wooyoung’s Perspective**

 

This girl is looking at me. Seems like she’s caught by my ‘eye-catching’ looks! She can’t even take her eyes off of me!  But she seems different from the other girls here. Hmmm…

 

**Hae Ri and Wooyoung’s persperctive**

Looks like a tough competitor…

 

~~

 

Suddenly, someone entered the room, causing the two to cut off their staring game.

 

“You guys will be called one by one to dance in a minute music. You’ll know your music when you’re called. So first up is…”

 

The guy looked at his list

 

“…Ok Taecyeon.”

 

A tall, muscular guy stood up and followed the staff outside.

 

Everyone in the room felt the pressure and everyone gets more nervous as every minute another one is called.

 

“…Jang Juri” Wooyoung flinched as he heard his surname; turns out it was a different person. No matter how calm he may look like in the outside, Wooyoung can’t hide the fact that he is really nervous. He can’t lie to himself that he is calm.

 

“Lee Hyo Ri” Hae Ri felt this huge bang in her heart when she heard the name. Her breathing almost stopped when she heard a name that sounds too close to hers. Hae Ri keeps calming her heart as the next minute pass.

 

“Lee Hae Ri” Just as when Hae Ri already calmed her heart, her name was called, caused her heart to feel the same bang she felt a while ago.

 

Hae Ri can hear her heartbeat, louder than any other sound around the place. As soon as she arrived to a small room, she was asked to pick a number. That determines her fait for this audition, for every number there is a corresponding music piece. Luckily, Hae Ri picked a music piece that she have danced to before.

 

“You will listen to the song for a minute here before you go up to the stage.”

 

As told, Hae Ri listened to the music quietly. She closed her eyes as she recalls the moves she did with this song before.

 

“You’re up.” The guy staff said to Hae Ri as he open the door.

 

Just when Hae Ri left the room, she saw the guy from before approaching the room she just left.

 

Wooyoung entered the room and was told to do the same thing Hae Ri did.

 

**Hae Ri’s perspective**

 

The music of the auditionee before me just ended. Now it is my turn.

 

I went up the stage calmly with a smile, bowed down to the judges—which faces I cannot see because of the light—and turn around just to get ready with my starting pose.

 

The song I picked is BIGBANG’s “Majimak Insa [Last Farewell]”

 

My music started with the song’s last part, just before the last chorus.

 

I just did some acting before I face the judges, just in time or the chorus.

 

I danced like how I normally danced—full of energy! And it matches the feel of the last chorus. The last part of the performance should be energetic!

 

I modified BIGBANG’s original choreography in the ‘baby baby baby’ part. I exaggerated it with big moves and moved around the stage. I don’t know why I did that. Maybe I felt bored dancing in one spot, and that I should roam around. Again, I felt happiness inside me. I didn’t notice that when my dance ended, I have this big smile on my face.

 

I bowed down to the judges before I left the stage and exit to a different door. I was lead to the waiting room where the top ten from the 1st batch and the others from my batch stayed.

 

Now it’s time to rest and pray that I’ll be accepted. Whew~ that was tiring….but fun…and fulfilling~!

 

I was about to close my eyes when I heard the music that played next….it was the music that I passed!

 

**Wooyoung’s perspective**

 

“No Air?! Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown’s No Air?!” how will I dance this sad song?!

 

“please listen to the music cut first for a minute before proceeding to the audition room.”

 

I listened to the music. Good thing the cut was at its . I remember this dance I’ve watched on YouTube, where this kind of music was danced in a pop way. But it’s a couple dance! That’s why it looks cool! Gaaaawh~! How can I-

 

“Your turn!”

 

And now it’s my turn! I haven’t thought of anything yet!

 

The music played and it started with Jordin Sparks high note of ‘noooo aiiiiiir~!’

 

So I just felt the music…danced like an interpretative dance but with pop-and-lock movements. The popping movements of course are matched to the beat of the music.

 

As time goes by, I got to feel the music. It feels like I’ve danced this before.

 

Just as I did my high-jump-turn, the music ended. I felt great as I heard the applause of the judges. Of course they applaud at every audition they’ve watched, but I felt special.

 

I calmly walked to the waiting room, there I saw the girl from before, shocked when she saw me enter the room.

 

~~

 

“So it’s you…” Hae Ri said

 

“Me? What?” Wooyoung confusedly asked.

 

“You danced to the music piece I passed.”

 

“Ohh..Nice song choice! I loved the feeling when I danced to it.”

 

“I think you did well…too bad I didn’t see it.”

 

Wooyoung just smiled as he sat near her.

 

“I’m Wooyoung by the way.” Wooyoung faced Hae Ri as he extended his right hand.

 

“Hae Ri.” Hae Ri shook Wooyoungs hand.

 

“You look unpleased.”

 

“Well…my older brother danced that to an audition, he got accepted but he died before he can even hear the good news…”

 

Wooyoung was shocked and confused.

 

“W-w-w-wait…so you’re saying that I might die too?!” he said while moving a bit away with his hands signalling Hae Ri to stop her story.

 

Hae Ri looked at Wooyoung with a weird expression and laughed at him

 

“Hahaha! Pabo! That’s not what I meant! What I’m saying is that, that song has a deep meaning for me and I want to dance that in this audition.” Hae Ri explained calmly, then looked away.

 

“Ahh..I thought it has a bad luck..haha! Sorry.”

 

Hae Ri looked again to Wooyoung and they laughed a bit together.

 

~~

 

Time passed quickly and it’s now time to announce the 50 accepted auditionees.

 

The audition hall is filled with tension. All of the top 10 from each batch were on stage. A total of 150 auditionees are on stage, 50 of them will be part of the company starting tomorrow.

 

“Before we announce the accepted auditionees, we would like to thank you all first for auditioning. All of you have great potentials, too bad we only need 50 new dancers every year. If you don’t get accepted today, don’t think it as the end of your career. It’s just the start; continue to dance your hearts out.”

 

Once again, another inspiring speech from the B&R president, Mr. Park Jay Beom.

 

“Now it’s time to know the results, we’ll call your name in groups of 10, and tell you if your group is accepted or not. As you already know math, only 5 groups of 10s will be accepted.”  Mr. Lee Dong Hae said.


Thank you so much for reading! :)