For him, at least. - Kevin

U-KISS Mini-Stories Part 1 - Heartbreak edition

Cup Six: For him, at least.

 

For a long time now, you've been together. Kevin was your friend, your secret crush and love. Now he is your boyfriend, for nearly 3 years already. One day, he suddenly got down on his knees, gave you flowers and a ring. Happily, you answered:

 

„Yes~!“

 

And so you thought your world was perfect. Being the happiest girl on earth you enjoyed your time with Kevin, but soon after his proposal he invited you to dinner and somehow the atmosphere seemed different than usually. You tried to not give it any meaning, maybe he had a bad day or something, so you tried to talk about everything and nothing.

 

„What do you want to order?“

„Nuna, let's talk first...“

 

Your heart was sinking and at the same time beating like hell. You felt like something very bad must've happened. After looking closer at Kevin you realized that he actually looked down and even some kind of sadness was present in his eyes.

 

„Okay, let's talk... Tell me everything.“, you said and grabbed his hands to give him strenght. But he slowley pulled them away and put them on his tights.

 

„You know, my mother never really invited you to eat dinner with us...“

„Oh... Yeah...“, you said.

 

Your relationship with his mother wasn't the best. She really was against your relationship with her son, not only because you were not Korean, but also because you weren't as religious as her. Of course you had your own believes, but it wasn't enough for her so you sometimes ended up arguing about that. But since you already were together for so long and she kind of never tried to seperate you, you thought it was fine. Never did you expect that it would be such a serious problem in the future.

 

„I didn't really talk to her about my proposal. My mother is a very nice person and I thought if I showed her how serious it is between us, she would start to talk to you and maybe resolve all the problems but...“

 

Kevin stopped talking, looked away and took a deep breath.

 

„Let's cancel our wedding.“

„W-what? Why? Do you want to marry me after we convinced her?“

„No... rather... Let's break up.“

 

For a second, the world turned black. Kevin didn't look at you, probably because he himself was close to tears. In some kind of trance you tried to grab him, but the table between you two was too big. You put your hand halfway down on the table and stared at him in unbelieve.


„Kevin, what are you talking about...“

 

There you could see a tear dripping down from his chin. This was only a bad dream, you tried to convince yourself. You felt your tears rolling down as well. Seeing Kevin cry made your heart hurt even more. He was so pure and a good boyfriend, he loved his mother and was a very devoted son. Why did he have to cry because of his mother and you? After a few seconds he finally could talk again.

 

„I love you, but I also love my mother. I thought she would accept you after some time. Since she could see that we were happy, I was sure she could accept us sooner or later. With my proposal I also tried to show her how sure I am, that I should be togheter with you until death parts us. But after I talked to her this week, she refused to give us her blessings... She didn't want to hear a word about you and asked me if I was crazy, marrying someone she could never aprrove of...“

 

I started to cry harder. It must have been hard for him. He never talked with me about the problems me and his mother had... He endured it all alone.. And now he finally felt too heartbroken to carry on with our relationship.

 

„If you want...“, he started again, „If you really would want, I could... We could still marry.“, he said, not looking at you.

Once again you stared at him, unbelieving of his words. Abruptly you stood up, went to him and hugged him tightly.

„Kevin... I really love you... I don't want to make you unhappy...“, you cried in his arms. Originally you wanted to console him, but in the end he put his arms around you and tried to calm you down. Even though you wanted to be together with him, you couldn't do that to him. You couldn't make him leave his precious mother he loved so much, who always took good care of him... It wasn't the right thing to do.

 

„Never talk about leaving your mother again...“, you said to him after some time. Slowly, you pushed him away from you, wiped your tears away with your hands and gave him a final hug. „I'm sorry. Good-bye.“

 

You gave him a soft kiss on the cheek, grabbed your bag and left the restaurant without even ordering. His mother would probably soon find a girl she liked for him and then he could be all happy again. Even though you were heartbroken, you felt like you made the right choice. For him, at least.