But you knew nothing - Dongho

U-KISS Mini-Stories Part 1 - Heartbreak edition

Meet me at the café.

That was the message you recieved a few minutes ago. Normally, he would write at least a reason or call you personally. But since you knew Dongho pretty well, you thought of it as if he had a bad day. And since he called you out so spontanous, he probably really had a bad day. But you knew nothing. Now you were sitting on the bus, getting closer to the café you usually only go to with Dongho. Only Dongho. It was the meeting spot of your friendship. The place where you two first met by accident and became friends. Since you felt at ease around him, you went to the café more often and every now and then he would also be there and sit down at your table. And so that friendship grew. A lovely friendship. In this friendship, you felt like he would understand you perfectly and would appreciate that friendship the same way you did. But you knew nothing.

While thinking of how you met, you got off the bus and went straight to the café. Something felt wrong, while you approached the entrance and the moment the door behind you fell into its angles, you knew what it was: the café was empty. Completely empty. You looked confused at the owner, but he just smiled at you and gave you a sign to just sit down at your usual place. There you were, sitting in an awkwardly empty café and looking at the wall… Until you heard the door open and there he was. Dongho stood there, breathing heavily as if he ran all the way here. You wanted to get up and greet him, but he signaled you to be quiet and sit down.

Just listen, I want to get over with this as fast as possible.“, he said, trying to breath slower.

Oh, how charming.“, you said sarcastically and sat back down, waiting for him to finally tell you what this all was about. He went to his seat and suddenly gave you a single rose. He smiled at you as beautifully as he could, while trying to hide his shyness behind it. „Nuna, you know… I like you for a long time already.“, he said confidently and looked deep into your eyes. Something inside you was breaking the moment he said these words. But he seemed to be so excited and proud of his actions, so you just sat there quietly and looked at him. „Now, as you know, I’m not the most romantic guy in this world, but I tried my best for you and booked our café for this precious moment. I want to tell you: I love you. Please accept me as your boyfriend.“

When he finished talking, he closed his eyes and bit his lips to hide a happy smile. He still held the rose and waited for you to take it, but instead you took his hands into yours and tried to have eye-contact. He didn’t look at you, until you sighed deeply. Suddenly, the glow in his eyes died and he seemed to realize, that he would get dumped. Before you even could say anything, he tried to get up and brush everything off as a joke. But you didn’t want that.

Don’t you dare run away.“, you said while glaring at him. He tried to escape your eyes but realized it was too late, so he just looked at you, waiting for your explanation of why he would get dumped.

Dongho, I like you, too. But only as a friend. And if you want, we can just pretend nothing happened and go on like always. We can meet anytime and drink our coffee here. You can cry your heart out and be yourself while I’m enjoying my time with you. But I’m older than you and I… I just can’t imagine being together with you that way. Ok?“

Dongho freed his hands from your grip and for a second, you thought he would either cry or just run out. But he smiled at you heartbroken and nodded.

I don’t know if I can do that yet, but I’ll think about it, okay?“, he said while grabbing his phone and bag. You could see how hard he tried to keep smiling. When he was already gone, you still looked at the door. He would always be the lovely, tiny kid Dongho in your heart, so you couldn’t be together with him…

Dongho on the other hand was sitting at the bus stop and hiding his face under his hoodie. Luckily it was night and not many people were going around. Nobody noticed the young boy sitting there. He held his mobile phone and was typing something very fast when he suddenly stopped. At the moment the display stopped glowing a tear dropped down on the phone and lit it up again.

Hyung, looks like my first love failed. What do I do now?

And with that, leader arrived within 20 minutes to bring Dongho home to let him cry his heart out and comfort like only the leader could do. But you knew nothing of that.