Chapter 2 - So You Can Cry

Circles

 

Wednesday, 20:19

 

It was Youngmin.

 

It was as if someone had just pulled my heart out, threw it on the ground, and stomped all over it. Damn it. I was trying to forget about Kwangmin, but Youngmin just had to come and remind me about him again. They were too alike. They practically had the same face. And those eyes. I was trying my best to hold back, but I could feel the tears coming back. My neck was tensing up. I turned around quickly so he wouldn't see my struggle.

 

"Ria." He sat beside me.

 

"Go away," I told him, "Leave me alone." My voice cracked. I couldn't hide it. Everything was coming back to me. The past year, the events of the day. I looked down so that my hair could fall over and hide my face. "Youngmin, please. You're not helping."

 

He just sat there for some time while I sobbed. When I had calmed down a little, he started talking. "I heard about what happened." He let out a sigh. "I don't want to take sides, but... I'd hate to see anyone cry like this." He turned to face me and I could see a hint of a sad smile. "I mean, look at you right now."

 

That's when I noticed the condition I was in. I was soaked from head to toe and my eyes were red and swollen. I haven't eaten anything since noon. I looked horrible and I hated it. But I didn't want his sympathy. Somehow, I didn't want to be consoled by anyone.

 

"Let me bring you home," he said. He looked at me with such caring eyes. I wanted to ask him why he cared, but I guess it was easy to feel sympathy for anyone who looked like me at that time. It made me feel worse about myself. I didn't like it when people pitied me.

 

"No, I want to stay here," I said, being stubborn. Why I was intent on making myself feel miserable, I didn't know. And not knowing frustrated me. I was on the verge of tears again when Youngmin spoke.

 

"I won't ask you to stop crying. If that's what you want, fine. But at least cry somewhere safe and warm." To my surprise, he brought me into a comforting hug. He let me cry into his shoulder for a little while before he spoke again. "Let me bring you home. Then I'll leave you alone. Promise."

 

I don't know why, but the fact that he wasn't telling to me cheer up soothed me a bit. My face was still buried in his shoulder, but I managed a nod.

 

 

Wednesday, 21:02

 

My hair was still a bit wet, but I was finally dressed in dry clothing. I was sitting on my bed, leaning against the wall and looking up at the ceiling. All the lights in my room were turned off. It made me feel at peace. It was a kind of peaceful solitude. My parents weren't home. They were both away on business trips and would be for the whole summer. Not like I cared much. They were both always away anyway. I was about to space out again when I heard a knock at my bedroom door.

 

"Ria, are you done?"

 

I totally forgot about Youngmin. He was waiting outside while I was changing.

 

"Yeah."

 

He opened the door and peered into the room. I watched as he looked around, trying to find me in the dark. As soon as he did, he gave me a gentle smile. His right hand reached for the light switch but I interrupted him.

 

"Don't turn it on."

 

He took his hand back and walked over to me. He sat down on my bed so that he could talk to me face to face. "I'll leave you alone now," he said, looking straight into my eyes.

 

There was a long moment of silence. But it wasn't the kind of silence that was awkward. I found it rather relaxing, to say the least. I could only stare back at him. I noticed the way the moon lit his face from my window, and I realized then and there that he wasn't like Kwangmin at all. They had the same face, yet they didn't. Youngmin was Youngmin. 

 

We held each other's gaze for a while before he finally decided to break eye contact. He gave my left hand a gentle squeeze, then he stood up and walked to the door. "Good night, Ria," he said softly, but it was loud enough for me to hear.

 

I waited until I heard the front door close before standing up. I made my way to my bathroom and looked myself in the mirror. I was a wreck. I turned the tap to let the water run, then I splashed some water on my tear-stained face. I thought I was going to shed more tears tonight. I had originally planned to cry myself to sleep. But somehow, the tears were no longer coming.

 

I walked to my small bathroom window and pushed aside the curtains to see Youngmin crossing the street. I smiled.

 

I didn't want to cry anymore.


Okay, I decided to update twice today to move the story along. Looks like things are looking up for you!

I've already got several ideas for plot twists later on and I'm really excited for this story! But of course, help from readers is always appreciated! :D

What do you think? Comments/suggestions/feedback below! Don't be shyyy!