Water, Ice, and the Steadfast Earth

My Other Half

 

~*~K~*~

The shrill sound of the coach's whistle hit his ear and Suho immediately dove off the platform into the cold, chlorinated water. He had one thought in his mind and that was to beat his best time as he , arm and leg, head up, breathe, arm and leg; the water splashed around him as he managed to glide through the water, the soft echoing sounds in the private pool lost to him as he flipped under water, his feet grazing the wall just enough to push off for the second half of the lap. He pushed himself to continue at his best pace as the thought of his coach sitting at the end with a stopwatch burst forward in his mind. Suho made a final sprint through the water and slapped the bar before surfacing and lifting his goggles from his face, waiting for either praise or a lecture for the older male.

"You were .02 of a second under your previous time." 

The words hit Suho's ears and he looked up at his coach, "Good, but not great." He stated with a smile.

"But good enough for today, hit the showers for today, Suho."

Lifting himself out of the pool, Suho sat on the edge and looked up at his coach, "Tomorrow, I'm going to do even better." He stated with confidence as he finally stood up and walked over to the bench, grabbing his towel, "I know I will, coach."

"Okay hotshot, go to the showers, get that chlorine off your skin, and rest for a change, will you? You know your mother will have my head if you're late for another one of your evening classes."

Suho laughed at his coach's response, "Alright, alright! I'm going coach. See you tomorrow!" He exclaimed before grabbing his stuff and heading out the door and down the hall to the showers, he didn't care much for his evening classes, but it kept him from being bored on Thursday nights when all of his friends were focusing on their last minute school work. He normally finished his in class as the teachers were still talking, so he needed something to do to keep from getting bored. His parents suggested and evening class, and he had agreed, hesitatingly.

Having finished in the showers, Suho changed and grabbed his bag for class before heading out of the Athletic Center of his high school and walking toward his evening class. The building being located a good eight block walk away, Suho pulled out his phone and sent a text to his mother telling her he was on his way to his class. As he reached the first corner she sent a confirmation text and told him she'd see him when he got home. As he walked down the streets, the skies darkened and rain started to fall, gently hitting every surface as it steadily became harder, Suho took shelter by walking in a nearby convenience store. He had no problem with the rain, but his backpack was no where near waterproof- his father said it would have cost too much. Sighing he grabbed an umbrella and made his way to the check out and purchased the item. As Suho was about to walk out the door he heard a guy around his age talking on the phone.

"No, it's okay Daehyun. They... they were at it again, you can't blame me for wanting an escape, right?" The male let out a fake laugh and Suho paused to listen in, "No, hey. It's alright. I'll find somewhere else to go tonight... Yes, I know it's raining. Daehyun, this is my problem, I've got it... Alright, alright, just go to your group project meeting, I'll talk to you later. Bye." As the male hung up and let out a sigh, Suho made a sudden decision and walked over to him.

"Hi there, I'm Suho." He quickly introduced, holding out a hand.

-~*~M~*~

"Hey, Xiumin, did you hear about what happened to Kris?" One of his classmates asked as he entered the classroom. Xiumin frowned a little and shook his head, what was she talking about?

There was a ruckus as a group of students were gathered in the back of the room gossiping, Xiumin ignored them and focused on the girl, "What happened?" He asked quietly concern on his features. He wasn't on great terms with Kris, but he had to worry about the quiet male anyway.

"He was cornered on the roof of the auditorium and he flew away!" She exclaimed, her eyes glistening with excitement from the story as she relayed it in that one sentence.

Xiumin frowned a little more, he knew that Kris was supposed to be careful with his powers, and that's the second attack he's heard of on students with 'powers'. The first attack was rumored to have been done by the upperclassmen and it had been proven the kid didn't have powers, but his parents had just placed it on his record for financial reasons- they were given a discount if they had powers because they were the "Chosen Ones". Xiumin didn't believe in all of that "Chosen Ones" junk, but he also couldn't seem to debunk it. Sighing heavily he looked at the girl again, "Who cornered him?" He asked quietly.

"The same group of upperclassmen." Came her happy response.

Running a hand through his hair, Xiumin murmured a quiet "Thank you," before turning on his heel and leaving the classroom. He had to find Kris, he needed answers. Walking as quickly as he could without getting in trouble with the teachers, Xiumin looked for Kris everywhere he could think of, ending up outside of the entrance that faced the direction of Kris' house. Unlike Kris, Xiumin's power was written in on his file, and he figured that meant he would be safe- he didn't realize how wrong he was. As he turned around to enter the building, he saw it coming, someone dumped a bucket of water from the balcony above the entrance. Without so much as a thought, Xiumin lifted his hand and guided it in an arch behind him as he stepped forward. The water froze in the arch shape as he moved his hand, dropping to the ground as he stepped out of the way. Looking up he tried to see who it was, only managing to catch a glimpse of blonde hair as the culprit turned around and ran from the balcony. If that was the only trial he had to face for his powers, he hoped he's be safe after today; however, he still had unanswered questions and a solution to find.

-~*~K~*~

Snapping his phone closed, D.O. looked up at the person who had introduced himself. He immediately held a straight face as he stared at the other, "D.O." He introduced himself, confused as to why the other would come over to him.

"D.O. It's nice to meet you." Suho replied, smiling.

"Yeah."

"Anyway, D.O. I couldn't help overhearing your conversation... if you want to come with me you can, I have an evening class but then  I get to go home from there." Suho held his umbrella up, "We can even share an umbrella if you need one." He offered, still smiling.

"First, that's rude." D.O. started about Suho listening to his conversation; however he was unable to think of anything else to do, "Second, keep your umbrella. What class is it?"

Smiling at D.O.'s response Suho nodded, "Advanced English. It's something my mother insisted on, but I don't really pay any attention to it." He admitted before gently grabbing D.O.'s wrist, "Let's go, it's this way!"

Surprised by the hand around his wrist, D.O.'s eyes widened as he looked from Suho's hand to Suho's face, unable to understand why the male would want to help him, but in no position to deny the help seeing as his only friend was busy and his parents were arguing and throwing everything in sight. Remaining comfortably silent D.O. followed Suho to his class, helping make sure the other's bag stayed dry as the male went on and on about how his bag wasn't waterproof, "because my father says why shell out the extra money for a waterproof bag when you can just carry around an umbrella?" Suho continued talking over-zealously about things that D.O. started to tune out. He sat through Suho's advanced English class while barely paying attention to anything that happened throughout the class though. His mind was on the future- getting home and what would be waiting for him when he was finally home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hey Hey Hey~

So... it took a while, and I'm sorry about that. But... it's here~~~ Chapter Three~

As you may have noticed- I hope, because otherwise my hints are way to subtle- I'm still introducing the characters to you guys. My awesome readers/subscribers/commentors/humanoids, thank you for your patience as I shall work on my next chapter is already in the works.

I love you all~

Thank you, and don't you ever change~ <3

~BaiLingLing <3