Only Exception

Baby Steps

 

I still cannot understand why I am the lucky one. Did I really cheat death?
 
The symptoms of post trauma seems to not show, maybe because my visions seem to revolve around my saviour's presence. I still question his existence. The bright, heavenly glow that surrounded his aura. 
 
The free formed smile that fell as the epitome of his face, his trademark, those raspberry-colored lips. He is all a dream, right? Angels don't fall from the sky looking like that. I shouldn't believe such beautiful nonsense anyway.
 
A vein-like spark of light graces the sky with a noise much contrasted to the peace of the moon. Rain pours heavily, painting my window in furious glory. My attention span on my book lasted for only half a millisecond. Cautiously dimming the lights, the candles have rather a calming presence, to calm my nerves as lions are heard more often than before. Lights would go on again later, anyway. I had in mind to slide the blinds down, while my reflection mirrored my actions. Crystal clear, a kamikaze spark spills the sky like an oil painting. I pull the blinds down slowly, but before I could, an image startles me. A spirit looking into my soul to keep. His face is hovering over my shoulder, so clear. I see him. Letting go of this task, I couldn't manage to configure how this is a possibility. Is it really him again? I turn around and he did not appear. The breathtaking portrait concealed in my mind.
 
Sure, I am still startled; the pure image comforted the depth of my soul. The pureness in his eyes made my heart quiver. My fingertips wipe away the condensed, fogged up window pane. I wondered what his face felt like. The twinkle in his eye when he twitches his nose, the expression moves along to the rhythm of my touch.
 
Did I really just touch an angel?
 
 -
 
Frozen, I could only stare at my reflection. I wanted to await his return. I wanted reasons why I was saved; reasons why it is what it is. I wanted to thank him, I am living because of you-kind of thing. With the slightest noise, the first thing on my mind was him, or it could have been him. A mild obsession, a below zero addiction, curiosity took over.
 
A second storm within a two-day time frame, I gave waiting a rest and decided that maybe it's just a hoax; something that comes once in a lifetime. "I shall not be bothered." I told myself. Hearing the rough wind pounce against my window, a dash of rain water flew in from an open crack. "...how did that--." I rush over to shut the window, the tightly, stuck window. Just my luck. I struggle to lock it and as I did, the strength in my arms seem a bit...off. Maybe my strength has been catching up to me, surprisingly.
 
Before I knew it, I turn around. There he was.
 
He appeared when I least expected it; all full in flesh that probably weighs as light as a feather. The glowing aura surrounds him, his familiar face grew more fond of my eyes. The moment slows down, before stopping completely. Eye-blinding, a subliminal blindness that made my conscience suffer a cardiac arrest. Why didn't I hesitate to defend myself?
 
The connected thread, it appears visible between us.
 
"Annyeong..." The low, weak voice reaches out to me. Was he alright? Did he need my help? The tired look in his eyes seem to tell all. Eyes are the windows to your soul, apparently. He leaps forward with a wry smile before taking a dip front, leaning his body on me. His head drapes over my shoulder as I freeze in not knowing what to do. What do I do? He's not as light as a feather as I thought.
 
A fallen angel, he is.
 
His outer appearance characteristics are beyond ordinary. Laying still as a cardboard cutout, he breathes roughly, exhaustedly. A rusted pipe. Sweat glands slide down his ivory skintone, gives him an off-set glow almost. My observations deepen, gazing at his almond-shaped eyes and raspberry-colored lips. It didn't hurt to be curious about this person. The person who saved my life. "I can still notice you staring at me." He speaks up suddenly, astonishing me. Quickly glancing away,  I couldn't answer him directly. I could feel the formation of his smirk. "Gwenchanha." Noticing the towel on his head, I look back at him slightly.
 
"Who are you?" I cautiously ask him as he sits up. "...why are you appearing in front of me?" The words coming from my mouth fell swiftly. I wanted answers.
 
He lets out a mild cough before he could speak. "Well...it's really unfortunate for us to meet like this. So, I shall begin." His eyes approach me, nudging to enter my attention. "I am Suho. A guardian angel." I look side to side before allowing him to seek. "Today, that was me. I was the one who prevented the accident from happening."
 
I crinkle my nose, knowing that this is a summary of the so-called daydream. It's actually true. "Why though?"
 
The furrow in his eyebrows seem to quiver a little. Biting his lip, he explained. "Hm. I had a feeling you were going to ask me that..." He chuckles. "Let's say, I was sent to protect you." Honestly not believing everything he said, I was still confused.
 
Pursing my lips, I head toward the kitchen in disbelief. "He has to be joking with me." Telling myself to snap out of it, I could have fallen asleep somewhere again. I facepalmed again. "Aigo, Nayoung-ah, wake up." His presence in the room quietly snuck behind me and appear in plain sight.
 
"Don't be afraid of me, Nayoung." He beams an angelic smile before tipping off to the side, a bit dizzy; he leans against the wall. I carefully clutch onto his arm. That golden token shine in his eyes, I spare no mercy of how much more could I take?
 
An instinct made the situation the way it is. "Why are you hurt?" Noticing a few scratches and bruises being visible on his arms leading to his shoulders, the curiosity and pity I felt for this person.
 
He shrugs before taking a deep breath. "I was sent on a mission. A mission that lead me to you." My heart suddenly races to the thought of it. 
 
"Me?" I point to myself.
 
He nods with his arms folded. "Where I came from, Heaven, gives us missions once we get to a certain point in time. To retrieve our wings, so they say." I listen to him carefully, as it made sense to where it is going. "Literally, wings are an exaggeration...we just gain abilities to travel." He forms a small grin. "So, I was sent on a mission, protecting civilians from harm, you know, mostly the small trivial conflicts." 
 
Hesitating, he continues on. "Then I saw you."
 
My eyes widen.
 
"Yeah. I could not let you get hurt, I guess. Heaven's code of law opposed to what I did and so I had to suffer the consequences and gained back some of my human capabilities. I received my punishment and landed here, subsequently." Biting his lip, he gave an honest, yet nonchalant expression. "I do not regret what I did, to be honest."
 
Beneath his statuesque figure, he carried himself well as a kind soul.
 
My lips purse together as the topic immediately moves forward. I exhale thoughts that traveled through my mind. "...what are you thinking?" He takes a few steps closer.
 
"Maybe, it was my time? I mean, I probably wouldn't have died, but maybe things do happen for a reason and heaven had a place for me already?" The circles in my brain are filled with numerous thoughts.
 
Suho lets out a light giggle. "Stop. You did say everything happens for a reason and me saving you is a valid reason."
 
"I just do not like the idea of you getting into trouble because of me. I am no exception." I relentlessly said.
 
"Stories usually come with a hero, and I believe I can protect you. You need to be careful next time." Smirking, he watches me still. The silence became less awkward and a little more overwhelming. His image intimidated me, but now that we're acquainted, I guess I shouldn't act this way.
 
"So, where should I begin as your guardian angel?" He grins delightfully.
 
I glance at him and blink twice. "Do begin to be more human than you seem." I reply.
 
-
A/N; 
 
Hope everyone enjoys this chapter ^^ I've been away but I have been working on this chapter for most of the week! 
Thank you for reading and subscribing! (: Please look out for the next chapter soon! 
 
- xoxo,
 
yangdari.