Awakening

Baby Steps

 

As the morning breathed young, the fresh, crisp air felt chilly for a spring welcoming. My polished rainboots touch upon the sidewalks, heading toward the cafe for a breakfast meeting. The weather seemed average, with clouds aligning together, darkening a bit. I was aware it would be like this today.
 
"Nayoung-ah." A familiar voice calls me from behind. I turn at ninety-degrees with my glance flashing toward the tall-structured figure. His name was Park Chanyeol. Waiting for him to catch up to me, I couldn't have any other way. He's, who you call the trustworthy best friend. 
 
I poke his left shoulder as if I was standing up to a bully. "Yaah, you're actually on time today." He purses his lips which forms into an immediate grin. The happy virus in our group, he often spread it to our group when times are tough. Walking beside me, he appears as a bodyguard it seems.
 
"Oh look who came here so suddenly. Together." Byun Baekhyun teases, we silently scoff before glancing at each other for a split second. The snickers between us was mutual; we never thought of each others' feelings in this manner. I look away and greet the rest of the crew.
 
Cha Jisoo sips her iced coffee as she flips through her Economics textbook. "What the hell were we supposed to study last night?" The always distracted and rebel in our circle, she would rather play and sleep. Pointing to the table of contents, I reminded her of the quiz we have on it tomorrow, also. "GDI."
 
Baekhyun and Chanyeol would usually have their Baekyeol moments in their corner when we would have our corner, which kinda made us curious. What were they really saying? So, I stick my right ear in. "Nayounggie is very nosy." Chanyeol comes close to my ear with a raising tone before chuckling.
 
I stick out my tongue. "Oh shush. I was wondering what you guys were talking about, that's all." The guys raised their right brow in unison, not buying my reason. Jisoo shakes her head and laughs while skimming through the ten-page chapter. 
 
This is what our daily life is like as a quad.
 
"Yaah, isn't it time for you to head to work?" Chanyeol points at his watch, long hand on the quarter mark. The gentleman he was, he stood up and pulled me up quickly. "Out the door, you go." He pushes me lightly, walking behind me as we leave. "Say bye, Nayoung." I franticly waved at the remaining two before I exited.
 
"Oh those two..." Baekhyun's lips form a proud smirk, while Jisoo, still forced on the books, couldn't help but envy. Her eyes shift towards Chanyeol's direction before shaking it off. 
 
We reach a stopping point near the district of Gangnam. "Like I always tell you, have a lot of strength today. You need to work hard in order to succeed in what you really want." With his hands on top of my shoulders, he smiled and looked straight into my eyes. "Hwaiting!"
 
After departing, I hurried along the sidewalks toward the corner of the block. The department store is two blocks away, so it was no problem walking there. 
 
"Tomorrow, check." Mumbling to myself as I write events down in my planner, I casually walk across the street with a sense that it was the right time to go. Having senses help in certain situations, just...not this one.
 
In a moment of uncertainty, I let myself go, immediately. Done. My body and soul would vanish.
 
But that was not the case. The smell of gasoline exhausted out the back pipe, with the bus' engine overheated and halted. Smoke piled mainstream with hints of shock. Flashes of bright light stimulated my eyes, I could hardly see anything but a clear, masculine face. A man with an angelic aura, a face that remains in my photographic memory. Those honest eyes went away as my vision of dust and reality reverted back to crystal clear.
 
This image of the perfect man disappears, but I still remember who really saved me from my untimely death.
 
Rushing over, Chanyeol was there to witness everything minus the unusual saviour. With startle and concern in his eyes, he pulled me close to him. "I was on my way to give back the umbrella you had forgotten...I thought I was seeing things...I... thought...I lost you." Feeling the emotion in his weak voice, I felt no pain, yet I could feel the abnormality of the situation. 
 
As I continued to embrace my living, I see the perfect image of the man once again, smiling. He disappears lightly into mid-air, leaving no trace. The blank space I stared into, remained, stunned. Am I just seeing things?
 
- - - -
So, excuse my grammar mistakes ;-; but I'm glad to be writing again! It's been so long and I'm glad to be making a comeback!
Give it a lot of love and I appreciate it so much that you are reading along to this story! heart
 
    
Much love, 
yangdari.