Away...

My Merman Lover

 

MARCH 14 1992

 

"Just one more push, Madam!" An old midwife exclaimed.

 

Another long scream was followed by an angel's cry which was followed by a scream of horror. The crying baby is now on the bed and the midwife's now gone. Young Jae held the baby with trembling hands. His face is obviously pale and both his eyes were wide.

 

The baby posses such unearthly beauty but, what made the midwife and Young Jae in such a terrified situation is, the baby has a tail—A tail of fish, to be exact.

 

"Y-Young Jae...?" Ah Joong called. Her eyes have tears. Worry and fear is written clearly on her ethereal face.

 

Soo Joong... Soo Joong’s curse came true... the only thing didn't happen is that; Ah Joong and Young Jae never despised their son. They named him after them and called him Jaejoong.

 

Unlike his parents, Jaejoong lived in the mansion's only part—the large room of pool. It's been his home for 7 years now. Although he sometimes wonder why he has a tail of fish, he didn't mind it that much since his parents repeatedly tell him he's a special one.

 

JUNE 12 1999

 

"Ah Joong-ah! Ah Joong-ah!" Young Jae's voice echoed throughout the mansion.

 

"Ah Joong-ah, we need to take Jaejoong away from here! The people... the neighbors are coming!" Young Jae was panting. He has cold sweats running from his forehead and his face, hi face showed total fear.

 

"What is happening?"

 

"The neighbors knew about Jaejoong... they’ll kill him!”

 

"Mommy, Daddy?" Jaejoong felt scared. Why would they want to kill him? What did he do?

 

This was the reason why they kept avoiding him of being seen by others. They’re afraid they will mistake him as a bad luck—a monster—a threat that will harm them.

 

"Baby, Mommy will drop you off to the sea, okay? You can stay there for awhile." And Jaejoong hesitantly nodded.

 

The sea is just behind the mansion and it took them 10 minutes to get Jaejoong there. People are running towards them from the open side. They were holding lit up torches and fish net.

 

"Jaejoong, go far from here! Don't let them catch you, do you understand?!" Young Jae said. His gaze went back and forth to the people and his son.

 

"But daddy..." He protested between sniffs and tears.

 

"Just go, Jaejoong! Go! Don't ever let them catch you!”

 

And there, Jaejoong turn his back and went in the middle part of the sea away from his home... from his mommy and daddy... away from the bad people. He made his way to the deepest part, to an island he where he only went once... where humans are forbidden... to where only people like him exist.