Little Black Book

17th Squadron

 

 

“Dara you are flight-inactive until next week, the rest of us will be flying a pass by of the ship, attempt number two. Later this week we will have another flyover of the border, night flight, sky high, incognito.” Taeyang rattled off this weeks plan, scrapping any of Dara’s ideas to get up high for another week. For those not of fighter speak, it was a squadron flight over the stricken ship, then another later flight of the Iraq/Iran border at night, as high as the planes could sit to stay off enemy radar.

The members of 17th Squadron sat in their fighter room, with a whiteboard/projector covered in Taeyang’s neat writing in front of the 30plus ‘college’ seats, with small quarter desks. Dara, shoulder still strapped, sat next to Seungri, both in the front row. TOP and Bom, along with Daesung, sat behind them, with Jiyong sitting on the other side of the aisle furiously writing in his black book.

Jiyong’s black book was infamous in the ranks of flyers on the USS Chelania, it containing every fighter plan created and ever used by him or close squadrons. If a squad needed a formation then they would ask Ji if they could have a look in the book. Your average male would have a black book, but it was unlikely to have the weaknesses of any ‘enemy’ plane, diagrams, formations and quick scribbles of ideas or plans for dogfighting tactics. Everyone who borrowed the book normally had something to put in it, often a formation or thankyou or even a signature of some of the more famous (in said fighter ranks) pilots.  Any ‘black book’ was strictly forbidden, seeing as, in theory, anyone could get their hands on it. However, theory isn’t reality, seeing as Jiyong, and anyone who had ever heard of the infamous book would protect it till the end.

 

“Squad dismissed. Dara, Jiyong, I want to see you both.” Taeyang flicked his fingers towards the door, gesturing that he wanted to see them alone.

“Yeah, ‘Yangie?” Jiyong closed the book and eased up out of his seat, joining Taeyang and Dara at the front of the room.

“I’m assuming Key gave you two a dressing down,” Taeyang blushed, face colouring a light pink. “Not that either of you should do any dressing down, mind. I just wanted you both to promise to me, since I know how much Jiyong’s word is worth when we’re referring to Key. I also know you both hold me in a high enough regard to say it and mean it. “He raised an eyebrow and stood, arms folded, looking at the two.

“Not fair. If we have to then so do B…” Dara’s outburst was cut off by Jiyong’s palm across .

“Nothing ‘Yangie. I promise to keep my hands off Dara and I’m sure she’ll do the same.” Jiyong’s piercing gaze warned Dara to keep shut. You don’t blab on teammates, no matter what. At least TOP and Bom would have a little more freedom. He removed his hand and Dara nodded.

“I solemnly swear to keep my hands off Jiyong for the remainder of this time at sea.”

“Good. I trust you both, but I will have my eyes on you two. Understood?”

“Yes Taeyang.” They both saluted, Dara’s mouth twitching up in a grimace as her shoulder moved.

“D? Is your shoulder ok?” Jiyong reached over and brushed her shoulder, gently putting pressure on sections until she nodded sharply. “I’d say the muscle is still healing. Aren’t you meant to have a sling on? Sorry ‘Yang.”

Taeyang was looking at the pair, Dara’s hand curled around Jiyong’s wrist, his fingers pressing on a uniform covered shoulder. They had automatically moved in closer, unknowingly reducing the distance between them.

“I know what it’s like, but keep it on the down-low. I don’t want to see anything apart from normal behaviour. That means no shared showers, no bras on anyone’s pillow; no switching patrols to match up. I will catch you, and I don’t want to have to do that. Everyone else will be warned to watch you both, and no matter what you two have on Bom, I assume, nothing will happen. I do not want a pregnant Dara at my wedding, understood!”

“That would be fun. Of course not Taeyang. What do you take us for, hormone and angst ridden teenagers?” The look on Taeyang’s face after Dara’s first comment was priceless. “I think Cho Hee would have a laugh about it though.” The look stayed. “Too soon? Okay.”

 

Dara wandered past her bunkroom, popping her head inside the door to see if anyone wanted to come to the supermarket with her, only to find Bom, back arched against the wall she was pressed against, TOP’s hands caressing her hips, his teeth nipping her neck.

“Cough cough. Just got a lecture about this from ‘Yang. Cut it out you two.” Dara stood, arms crossed in the doorway as the embarrassed couple jumped apart. “I told Jiyong I shoulda ratted you two out. Jeez, even me and Ji weren’t this bad.”

“Sorry Dara.” TOP’s cheeks were blushed pink and he couldn’t meet her eyes.

“Oh it up D. How many times did I find you sneaking out of base to go see whoever? Or getting a call from Jiyong at one in the morning, asking you to come bail him out of Jinki’s anger?” Bom raised an eyebrow, an ineffective gesture as there were lovebites on her neck and her lips were swollen. It didn’t really put across a very strong point.

“Anyway. TOP, you’d better get back to your bunkroom otherwise the boys will be suspicious. Bom, I need peanut butter cups and you promised.” Dara pouted as TOP slunk out of the bunkroom, head facing down to hide his blush.

“Yay ya, ok. I am not buying more than ten though. The cashier looked at me funny last time.” Bom and Dara headed to the third floor supermarket. Anything one could ever need was in the carrier’s supermarket. Hairbrushes, conditioner, women’s products, deodorant, earplugs, water bottles, washing detergent and Dara’s personal favourite, Hershey’s Peanut Butter Cups.

“Eight Hersey’s, a bottle of strawberry conditioner, tampons and bobby pins. Happy now?” Bom placed her purchases on the counter, smiling at the man behind the computer. “Park Bom, ID number 28596.”

“That’s on your account. Come again.” He bagged her items and the two women left the store.

 

Dara and Bom headed towards the plane 'garage', checking into the boys bunkroom as they passed by. Only Seungri was left, quietly sleeping, head tucked under his pillow. Down in the 'garage', the remaining three boys were looking over their planes, along with a mechanic called Jonghyun, who often worked the group’s fighters.

"Well we overhauled her on maintenance last week after the incident with Dara, so she's fit and ready to go when you are. Two more are set in for maintenance next week and we'll pull out our spares while they are." Jonghyun was running his hand over the nosecone of the deadly plane. "Gosh, they sure are beautiful."

"Did you ever want to fly?" Taeyang had been chatting with TOP regarding wind speed issues with missile guidance systems, her turned to face the mechanic, the two almost the same height, which was rare for the pilot. He was the shortest out of all the boys and Dara and Bom were the same height as him.

"I did, for a while. Apparently I've got the smarts, but I have to wear reading glasses after a welding chip flew in my eye a couple years back. That cut me out of flying planes for the force or navy. I've been up in these boys a few times and it's the best feeling. Before we came on this last detachment I headed up with the crew from Bobbles on a skydive. 'Minnie was almost ting himself but it was great." Jonghyun sighed, remembering happier days before they were called into the war zone.

After another half an hour of checking over their precious planes, the squad headed back up for a gym session. Daesung had been granted the immense joy of waking up Seungri, something that happens very rarely. The maknae is normally the first up, and often only Daesung wakes up with enough energy to wake up TOP, a very heavy sleeper.

Daesung snuck into the bunkroom, treading lightly on bare feet, The rest of the crew watched, heads poking trough the doorway. Seungri rolled over, "Don't bother Dae. I know your there, for Christ’s sake everyone, I ain't stupid. Get to the damn gym and give me a few minutes to wake up. Pssh, fighter pilots are meant to be subtle." Seungri slid his black hair topped head under his pillow. "Stop watching me and get!"

 

 

So, I seriously apologise for not updating. I am now in my preliminary year, with only a term till I start my final year of school. I am on a crazy study schedule, but I think I might start writing again, when I'm not studying. The updates will not be regular or often but I promise there will be some. I have so many plans for this story still, so don't give up on me yet please.

:)

Reviews are LOVE.

Thanks everyone, for hanging in here with me. I love you all.