beginning

an eye for love

 

A girl was rushing into the hospital, her hand was trembling when she took her phone out from her pocket. She took a look at her phone right before she asked a nurse passing her. She turned right at the end of the corridor, her hair was waving behind her.

A woman was standing by the wall, she held her own hands tightly. She turned her head at the girl right after she passed the door next to her.

“sooyuna-“ she hadn’t finished her sentence when tears rolled down her cheek. The girl ran at her right before she hugged her. The woman was trembling in her hug. None of them spoke, only tears rolled down their cheek, the tears that the girl had held since she picked her phone hours ago. “everything will be alright, ahjumonim…” the girl spoke in the middle of their silence. “he will be alright-” she hadn’t finished her sentence when her tears were rushing out of her eyes, she couldn’t even be sure with her own words. She was afraid.

They were standing by the wall, the girl was still holding the woman’s shoulder, trying to be strong enough for her to lean on when she, her self needed someone to lean on too, the person who was struggling for his life now.

Suddenly, the red light above them turned green, both of them were taking a deep breath right before the door below the light was opened.

A man in a full white suit was out from the room, taking his mask off his face right before he talked to them.

“he’s fine” he wiped his face to end his sentence. His sentence comforted them before he continued his sentence, “but, the splinters were too much for his eyes-“ he was examining them before continuing his sentence. the girl could feel the woman’s hand was searching for hers, trembling. “we’ve done the best for him, but, God had decided the other for him. sorry, ma’am” the doctor paused when the woman started to cry in the girl’s hug. “we couldn’t save his eyes.” The doctor finished his sentence when the woman’s cry broke the silence. The girl’s tears were rushing down her cheek like a waterfall, in silence she tried to swallow what she didn’t want to know.

The woman was sitting next to the bed, a boy was laid on it, motionless with his eyes covered and bruises around his face. A white bandage wrapped his arm. She kept holding his hand tightly, waiting for every inch of his move. Every move was a sign of life and hope for her since he wouldn’t open his eyes anymore. She turned her head at the girl sat on a couch across the bed. “sooyuna, it’s already late at night now, you should take a rest at your home now…” she was pledging to the girl, the same sentence that she had told her for times. “no, ahjumonim, I can’t leave you alone, I can’t leave him.” the same answer she had told her for times. “thank you, sooyun. You still want to wait for him although-“she hadn’t finished her sentence when tears were rolling down her cheek. The girl stood and hugged her.

***

The sun was peeking from behind the curtain. It shone through the room and reached the motionless body on the bed. The girl was entering the room when the motionless body moved a bit, the woman was startled to feel his tiny movement under her hands. “joonmyeon…” the woman whispered at him. “omma, what happened to me? where am i?” the boy was hardly taking the words out of his throat. “no.no. everything is okay. you’ve had an accident yesterday, and now you’re in hospital. everything is okay now, but you still can’t wake up now” the woman was pushing her son’s chest lightly on the bed. The girl was happy to hear his voice again, she called the doctor as she had been ordered when he was awake. In a second, a doctor with a couple of nurse went into the room. The doctor was examining the body laid on the bed. “hi joonmyeon, I’m dr.park, so, do you feel any pain now?” the doctor asked him. he shook his head. The doctor nodded at one of the nurse. “you’re fine now joonmyeon, ms.choi will uncover your eyes. It will be dark at first, then you should open your eyes slowly…okay?” the nurse started to uncover his eyes right after the doctor finished his sentence. the woman turned her head at the girl stood at the corner of the room. She walked at her, they hugged each other to hold their tears, knowing the fact was hard for them.

The nurse was about to take the last layer off his eyes when the doctor pinned his attention on him. his eyes were fully uncovered now. They moved a bit, opened. The girl could see the same eyes she saw yesterday but, it was blank. In a second, his head was shaking, trembling in fear. “doctor, why it’s still dark now, I can see nothing.”  He was asking furiously. The doctor was taking a deep breath before holding his shoulder, “joonmyeon, that’s okay. it won’t be long. You need to give your eyes days free-“ the doctor hadn’t finished his sentence when he start to be panic. “doctor? Am I blind now? I can see nothing. Omma, omma, am I blind now?” the woman was holding her tears back when she ran at  him, held his hand. “joonmyeon, my son. Everything will be okay. you should believe what doctor park had told you, you’ll be fine.” She tried to calm his son. “omma, tell me the truth, am I blind now?”. The woman couldn’t take any word out of , the tears were out instead. The doctor nodded at the nurse right before she took a syringe out, she was about to hold his hand when he refused. “no. I’m okay. just leave me alone with my mom.” The doctor and the nurses went out of the room right after he finished his sentence.