Courage 2

When in Rome, do as Romans do...

 

“Leave him alone!” You said giving him an angry look. If there was something you hated the most, it was bullying. You hated bullying so much that you were ready to confront your biggest fear – pain – to protect others.

“Or else?” He said walking towards Doyun, ready to kick him but you stoop in between them, in time to get the kick. You were trying hard to keep the same determined look on your face while fighting your tears since your tibia hurt horribly. You looked at Doyun who was now standing behind you, and gave him a reassuring look. That kick was meant for his ribs and if he was alright, you felt more than happy to have gotten hit in his place.

“So you got yourself a girl to protect you?” Some other guys said stepping by the bully’s side.

“N-no, she had nothing to do with me, please leave her…”

“ off…” You said shoving the guy again. It was one of the few times you actually cursed but you thought it came out pretty convincing. You knew you were going to get into trouble but you couldn’t stand it how strong guys picked on the weaker. And, in the end “when in Rome, do as Romans do” right?

“Don’t touch me, you stupid !” He said pushing you aggressively and you almost hit the ground but somehow managed to keep your balance. And there you were, running back at him and shoving him again. “Are you picking a fight, you ?” He asked taking a handful of your hair and pulling it aggressively, then putting his hand in the air, ready to slap you. You closed your eyes but the hit never came. You opened them to see the bully on the ground and a tall, brunette guy rubbing his fist.

You were staring at his back, trying to imprint his frame on the back of your mind when the bully stood up and pushed the guy into a wall, all his friends backing him up.

 You ran in front of the guy without thinking and spread your hands.

“S-seven against one is not fair.” You muttered, fear seizing your body when the bully set eyes on you.

“Hear that Kai?” A guy said from behind him. “Seven against one is not fair.” He said on a mocking tone.

“What? Do you want to fight too, hamster?” He asked raising his eyebrows into an amused expression.

“N-no… I’m what I’m trying to say is…”

“It’d be sad; I wouldn’t want to damage that pretty face of yours.” He said his lips and stepping closer to you raising his hand to touch your face. You turned away and frowned, causing him to escape an amused laugh and his lips again. “You’re interesting. You know, it’s been a while since I’ve had a girl.” He said flashing you a filthy smile. “How about a trade? You give me something, and I forget Doyun exists.” He said raising his eyebrows suggestively.

“What do you want?” You asked after thinking over his offer. He looked at your body from head to toe, making you feel sick.

“I think you have a pretty good idea.” He said making all his friends laugh.

“You’re disgusting.” You said making a sickened expression.

“Then, I guess Doyun’s going to have to suffer.” He said waving his hand towards Doyun. He hesitated but at Kai’s command, he went next to him. While looking at you smiling, he suddenly turned around and punched Doyun in the stomach. You escaped a shriek and ran to him but Kai turned around pushing you away with his forearm. “You have to watch this, hamster.” He said punching him again.

            You ran to Doyun again, stepping in between them but Kai pushed you away again, without any kind of effort, punching him again. You couldn’t tell what hurt more: seeing him getting hurt or knowing it was because of you.

            You made one last attempt and hugged Doyun tightly, protecting his body with yours.

“GET OFF!” Kai yelled, his angry voice making your body twitch but you were determined not to move an inch. “I SAID GET OFF!” He yelled again and you knew he was ready to hit you when you felt Doyun’s hands wrap around your back and turning you around.

            You opened your eyes and saw the brunette guy grabbing Kai’s shoulder aggressively, turning him around, then shoving him into the wall. Kai raised his chest and crashed into the guy’s shoulder.

For a second, it reminded you of a rooster fight; they weren’t fighting but raising their chests and bumping into each other, trying to intimidate the opponent by displaying their manhood. They kept repeating this while threatening each other. The moment the guy fought back, all Kai’s friends stepped in.  

“I’ll show you what you’ve gotten yourself into.” The “ritual” ended when Kai poked him. The guy took a few steps towards him and looked away for a second, putting on an annoyed expression, then looked back at him.

“You won’t show me .” He said pulling his jacket and then pushing the guy away using his forearm. The guy fell back a few steps then ran back towards him, ready to punch him.

            A shocked expression spread across the whole “audience” at his move. The guy grabbed Kai’s fist with his right hand, putting his left on his wrist and twisting his hand behind his back. He easily cut off his legs with one hit, putting Kai on the ground, faced down and sitting on top of him. He stood up immediately, kicking Kai in the stomach as he was trying to get up.

“I didn’t say you could stand.” He said kicking him again, making him fall against the lockers. “Apologize.”

“No.” He said spitting blood.

“I told you to apologize.” He said kicking him again, then sitting on top of him and punching him in the face repeatedly. You couldn’t stand violence, no matter how much he deserved it, it was too much.

“E-Enough…” You whimpered frowning in an attempt to stop your tears. You couldn’t explain why you felt like crying but you blamed it on the fear. You felt surrounded by wild animals that could attack you for no reason and without notice. “Enough!” You yelled grabbing the guy’s hand while it was raised in the air and holding it tightly against your body. “It’s enough.” You said closing your eyes and praying he won’t hit you too.

            You could feel everybody’s eyes on you, waiting for the guy’s reaction. He stood up slowly and pulled his hand from your grip easily.

“Don’t touch me.” He said harshly, walking away from you. Taking the risk of being hit, you ran in front of him and he stopped giving you a surprised look.

“Kamsahamnida!” You said bowing. He looked at you with eyes wide opened in surprise then changed his expression into an annoyed one, let out a low “um” and walked away.

“Yaa~! JR!” Some guys yelled running up to him. “Did you get into a fight again?” They asked sighing in annoyance.

“Whatever.” He said and kept walking with the guys following him.

“So it’s JR.” You thought smiling unconsciously.