Chapter 3

Never Almost Had You

It wasn't easy for my mum alone to work and to keep the family alive. When we moved back to Korea, my grandparents were more than willing to have us stay with them. But the house was just too small for five persons.

Fortunately, it wasn't long before mum found a job. After a few months, mum rented a small and affordable house on a rooftop and the three of us moved out.

Now that I'm in University, the monetary burden is really no joke. Although my mum said she'll settle it and I don't have to worry about it, i know how hard it is on her to feed the family and also support my grandparents who have recently retired.

I have to admit that Krystal and I were treated like princesses when we were young. Before all that nightmare happened. We were a happy family and lived a fairly good and luxurious life in the States. To be honest, I've never done housework till I was 14.

My mum was worried when I told her I wanted to work part-time at a cafe. Yes, I am clumsy. I probably slipped twice in the kitchen and broke a cup or two in the past 4 months. Thankfully, my boss is a really nice lady and forgave me for all that clumsiness.

I love my job. No, more like I love my workplace. I have a nice boss, pretty nice colleagues, and the best part was the daily live music performances.

Music, probably one of the most important things in my life after my family.

It's the best stress reliever. I love singing. It helps me let out the stress and frustration in me when I'm down.

"Your voice is beautiful," Boss said to me one day when she caught me singing to myself in the staff locker room.

Boss told me I could sing in the cafe if I wanted. She would let me perform like the other singers. But I rejected her. The thought of it made my stomach churn. I'd be too nervous to sing infront of a crowd. I was contented to be there to listen the others. They all had beautiful voices.

But none were as beautiful as his.