Chapter 1

Never Almost Had You

I burst into tears as I witnessed my dad throw the ashtray at my mum. I squeezed my eyes shut. Too terrified to see the injuries inflicted on my mum. My sister, Krystal, was screaming and sobbing in my arms. I held her tightly in my arms as we both hid under the table and witnessed the worst quarrel between our parents.

Dad stomped out of the house with a bag of his belongings and slammed the door behind him.

That was the last time I saw my dad.

I let go of Krystal and quickly went to my mum, who was lying on the ground. Seeing those wounds on her broke my heart. She sat up and buried her face in my shoulders and broke into tears.

"I am sorry," i sobbed as she wrapped her arms around me and Krystal. I'm a coward. I felt so horrible that i couldn't protect her. Help her and save her from my dad, who seems to be drunk everyday since two years ago when his mistress ran away with his money.

Mistress. I really hated that word. I really hated her. Even though mum never told us about it, i knew.

Those quarrels in the middle of the night while we were asleep. It was worst than the nightmares about the world having no other edible food left but cucumbers.

My mum forgave him despite the pain he brought to all of us, both mentally and physically. All he did these years was to get drunk and vent his anger and frustration on us. I couldn't help but to hate him. How could he do this to us?

But what happened today was the last straw.

As much as she loved him, mum wanted to protect us. Her precious girls that meant everything to her.

We had to leave. Leave the States for good. Start a new life. A new life in the place where my parents originally came from. Korea.

I was 16 that year and Krystal just turned 11. It was hard for me. But i know it's even harder for Krystal, having to leave everything we knew behind.

Leave our friends, our memories, our pain...