Chapter 2

Never Almost Had You

"Happy Birthday Sica!" a voice screamed into my ears as I felt someone hugging me from behind.

I jumped and let out a dolphin scream that echoed along the campus walkway. I really disliked that feeling when your heart seem to jump right out of your chest.

I turned to find Minyoung, who is now laughing to tears, with a box wrapped in pink and topped with a white ribbon in her hands.

Of course. Minyoung. Who else but Minyoung.

My anger faded immediately as she hugged me again and said, "Happy birthday!"

"Don't do that again! You know i hate that. But thank you. Really," I said as I hugged her back.

I dare not look at the people around me as I sensed that everyone in the walkway was staring at me. Judging the girl  who let out a deafening dolphin scream a minute ago. Judging me.

It's my 20th birthday today. I was glad that i had Minyoung by my side for the past three years. Other than my family, i didn't have anyone else but her. She was someone who I can share my secrets, my worries and my happiness.

It was tough trying to settle down in Korea. Adapting to the language was pretty hard. I was not used to reading, writing and listening to everything in Korean. I'm really glad mum and dad taught us Korean since we were young. In the States, we spoke Korean at home some times, but we mainly conversed in English outside the house. Now that barely anyone here could speak English, I just had to work hard and get used to it. Three years of hard work and I'm pretty much fluent right now.

Minyoung is my best friend. You could even say she is my one and only true friend. She is a year older and I met her in high school.

My memories of the first few weeks in high school was almost a nightmare. Being the new transfer student, it was hell.

I ate lunch alone. Studied alone. Went home alone. No one spoke to me and I was too shy to approach any of my classmates. There was no one I could speak to when I needed help. My cold appearance was not helping. I was invisible. It was just me and myself.

Minyoung found me silently crying in the library one day. She reached out to me with a tissue. I stared at her for a moment, taken aback by her action. No one cared about me. She smiled slightly, but not showing her teeth. There was so much sincerity in her eyes that I couldn't help but accept her tissue and dried my face that was stained with tears. I could remember it so clearly like it was just yesterday. She sat down beside me in the library and asked me, "I'll stay here... you know...  if you want to talk,".

I remained silent for a while but I couldn't hold it any longer and poured out all that was locked in my heart. Those feelings that I had no one to share with. Minyoung was really friendly and gladly listened to everything I had to say even though none of those mattered to her. Not even me. I was just a stranger she found crying in the library.

We became friends, of course. Close friends. Sisters.

I was overwhelmed when I entered the same university as her. Although we can never be in the same class since she is my senior, we hang out together whenever we could, during lunch breaks and after class. Things did get a little better in the new school environment since each student were also new to the school. But I still didn't make many friends. None as close as Minyoung. Maybe I just give off a 'go-away' vibe that keeps people away. Not that I can help it. Being all smiles is just... tiring.

"Zzan! Open it!" Minyoung said excitedly as she hands me the present, breaking my thoughts.

I carefully unwrapped the present without tearing up the wrapping paper. She know me too well. In the box I found a white colour hoodie with a cartoon cucumber print. A cucumber with eyes and mouth. A smiling cucumber with eyes and mouth.

"Unnie!" I shouted, unconsciously stomping my feet, and pouted at her.

"So what do you want to do today Ice Princess? Your wish is my command," Minyoung giggled as she pulled me along and out of school.

____________

A/N: Happy Birthday Sica! Wrote this on 18/04/12 for our gorjess Ice Princess :D