Chapter Two

Afterlife

“Argh!” I muttered loudly and ran to answer the phone. It rang shrilly, the bells clanging off the hook. I seriously needed to either get a job or request a more modern phone from Ohtsugi. The fact that he still had this model of phone was weird in itself. This old contraption had to be from the 1980s, at the least. Damn me for not taking my cell phone and moving to a different—wait, that would require me having money.

I turned around. Neither of the boys who had scared the living daylights out of me was there. The ringing contunued. “Coming,” I grumbled. Still very pissed off, I answered. “Hello? Who is this?”

A low, male voice whispered, “Come outside.”

“Huh?”

“Come out into the hall.” Click.

Sighing, I put it back into its cradle. Behind me, the bedroom door creaked open slowly. I yelped, jumped and spun around, in that order. Yoochun peeked out of the bedroom, Junsu right behind him. “Is your caller gone?” he asked dully. “Good. I hate the sound of phones ringing off the hook. It really drives me insane.” I was going to go insane if they kept freaking me out like that.

“Why would you care in the first place? And how did he get my number?”

“Think about it. If someone corporeal doesn’t answer, who will? It’ll just ring forever.”

Junsu, for once displaying something other than timidity, rolled his eyes. “Who was that, Erin?” He stopped smiling and went back to being shy. “Unless you don’t want to tell us. I mean, you just met us and all, and I understand if you want to keep to yourself, and we’ll be good ghosts and leave you alone for the rest of your time here, but I can’t speak for Yoochun because he never leaves people alone--”

“Junsu, it’s fine.” He was so adorable! His shyness was very endearing. “Just…stay in here, and I’ll be right back.” I unlocked the front door and shut it swiftly before my visitor could catch a glimpse of my “roommates.” The hall was quite empty when I went out. I looked up and down, trying to find the person who’d call me. Maybe it had been a prank call, someone miles away trying to get their rocks off.

A shadow in the corner of my eye moved. I nearly screamed. No, it was just ert Teenager, the guy I was supposed to befriend. He slunk forward, holding that salacious magazine in his hands, the magazine that exploited the female body. Feminist side of me, shut up!

He was really tall, and I mean really tall. He was at least six feet; if he were two feet taller, he'd hit the low ceiling. He didn’t look menacing up close. He was actually cute in a quirky sense. Nowhere near as hot as Jaejoong, but still…he had that little boy look about him, and it was more noticeable when he smiled. “Hello,” he said quietly. “The landowner said you wanted to speak with me…?”

I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and held one out. “Yes. I’m Erin, the new girl living here. And you are…?”

“Shim Changmin. Pleasure to meet you. So…you’re the one that passed me by?”

“Oh, you noticed?”

“It’s really hard not to notice someone sneaking into the complex. Although this place is less comfortable than a four star hotel, and we get people in here trying to squat, we still try to keep it as clean and hospitable as possible. We’re one of the only apartments downtown that have housed famous families. For instance…” Yep, he was a big time nerd. “A few years back, we had this one family move in from some big manor outside the city.”

My ears perked up. Hmmm...I wonder...

“They were forced to relocate for a few months because the mafia had gone after the father.” He lowered his voice. “But then some gang members found them out, and tracked them down here. Mr. Ohtsugi told me all about it. The parents ran for the hills, leaving their son here.” Before he continued, he stared down at me. “Erin, you do know that--”

“Aha, here’s the girl of the hour!” Mr. Ohtsugi strolled down the hallway. “I’ve been seeing your face all over the news. You’re considered a missing person! I knew it!” He put his chin between his thumb and index finger, striking a pose. “You’re on the run from the kkangpae, aren’t you?”

Changmin fell against the wall, laughing. His eyes scrunched up, making him look more adorable. I shook my head, in shock and amused. “No, sir. I’m kind of on the run, but not from the kkangpae. I’m also not on the run from the police. This is a spiritual on-the-run thing, you understand?” Please understand. I can’t have my ghosts thinking I’m a murderer or something. They wouldn’t trust me.

Wait. “My” ghosts? What was wrong with me?

“Well, if you’re lying to me, I suggest you get away from here as fast as possible. The mafia has been known to hit up this place every now and then.” Dear old man. Eccentric as hell, but dear to me nonetheless. “For now, you can stay. Shim!” he snapped. “See to it that our new squatter has the best food and arrangements.”

Squatter? I had to smile.


Yoochun had been moving around the apartment when Changmin finally decided he was too hungry to stay with me. He examined my music with a look of distaste on his handsome face. Once again, I longed to call Jaejoong and tell him where I was. He was probably worried sick about me! I walked into the kitchen and started fixing myself a glass of Sunkist. “Yah,” he called out.

“Who the heck is…Killswitch Engage? The name sounds funny.” He looked at another CD. “Or Muse?”

“Um, they’re both American bands…?”

“I figured that one out. Okay, how about…King Diamond?”

“Another band. Also American. I think…”

“Uh-huh. And…hey, I know these guys.” He pointed at an old Backstreet Boys CD. “You are such a little pop tart, aren’t you? Then again, with all these metallic bands, you have a weird taste in music that ranges a lot.” Metallic? He must have meant metal bands. He shook his head. “You should just stick with one genre. It won’t make your head spin.”

I scowled. “My head doesn’t spin. Where’s Junsu?”

“In your room.” Did I detect some smugness in his voice? “He’s looking through your photo albums.”

“WHAT?!” Dropping the glass into the sink, I raced into the bedroom. Junsu…sat (there really is no other way to describe it) on the bed, flipping through page after page of humiliating, embarrassing pictures of me. “Give me that!” I yanked it out of his hands.

He looked startled. “I’m sorry!” he exclaimed. “I just saw the book in your drawer and it caught my eye!”

“Don’t you ever look through my things without permission!” Dear God, I kept pictures of me and Jaejoong in there, and I didn’t want them to start asking questions! I had a piece of artwork in there from the day we went swimming at his dad’s house, and I secretly drew him without a shirt on, and OH MY GOD, one of the letters I written to him over the week was missing.

Yoochun stood in the doorway, clearing his throat. “Ahem. ‘Jaejoong, how can I explain this to you without sounding so cheesy and dramatic? I ran away from my parents’ house. I just couldn’t bear to live there anymore. My father was crushing me, the way I lived…and he wasn’t going to let us be together, Jae. I think I may...’”

I grabbed the letter and stuffed it into my pocket. From the way he was smirking at me, I was blushing like crazy. Junsu peered over, curious. “Shut up,” I hissed. “God, you’re like one of those annoying little brothers that always get into my stuff. Even Yunho kept away from my secret photo album. Christ, learn some manners!” I slammed the door in his face. Looking a little defeated, Junsu bowed his head and started to walk out (or rather, go through the wall). “No, wait, Junsu. I wasn’t yelling at you. Sorry.”

He turned his head. “Are we really annoying you?”

“Yoochun was.” I glared through the door; his laugh bounced off the walls. He could evidently see me. “But you’re fine. I just got a little scared, that’s all. Ask my permission before going through my things next time, okay?” I smiled, showing him that I meant no ill intent towards him but subtly towards his…what were they to each other? “Junsu, how do you know Yoochun?”

He sputtered, glancing around in panic. “Well, uh, you see…” He tugged on his hair. “We, err…I, um…” He closed his eyes forcefully. “We died together!”

Silence rang throughout the apartment. “Oh.” I stared down at my feet. They were gay, then. Lovers from their past lives, I supposed. “That’s awkward, but I am totally cool with it.” Still reeling, I put a shaking hand on the doorknob to the bathroom.

“WE’RE NOT GAY!” he yelled helplessly. “I promise, we’re not! Man, the last tenants thought the same things you’re probably thinking! Dang it! I told Yoochun to tell you what happened, but he never opens up to anyone.” He made a funny noise with his lips and looked over at me. “I can prove it. I’ll loofah you in the shower.”

“Beg pardon?” I asked, puzzled.

“A loofah? I can scrub your back in the shower.”

“That’s okay,” I said quickly, backing away and nearly tripping over the tub.

“No, I promise not to peek or anything while you’re . I’m a helpful ghost, honest! I want to help you out as much as I can, and Yoochun’s going to go through your pictures anyway, so I may as well be of some use to you.” He twiddled his thumbs at his waist, staring at me with a slight pout. It was irresistible. I sighed. To say no to this boy was like taking candy from a little kid and stomping on it.

“Fine.” But I motioned for him to turn around as I undressed. He obliged.

Yoochun let out a wolf whistle. “Damn, girl. You have a really firm !”

“WHAT THE HELL?!” I yelled.

Junsu yelped and covered his eyes, even though he was facing the other way. It was quite adorable. Yoochun merely laughed and stared at me as if I was a new mistress of his, and he was making me turn for him. “You really do have a nice body,” he muttered. “But I wouldn’t tap that in a century.” He kept staring, though, and I thought I saw a flicker of impression on his face, but it passed. Junsu was now humming loudly, as if trying to block out our conversation. CU~TE! “And your s are really nice, I guess. Not too large and heavy, but really feminine.”

“CAN WE STEER AWAY FROM THIS TALK?!” Junsu yelled.

“What?” Yoochun looked mildly surprised. “She’s like an hourglass, only better and with s.”

“CHUNNIE!”

I scowled. “Thank you, really. That makes me feel LOADS better.”


True to his word, Junsu held one hand over his eyes and scrubbed my back with his free hand. He fetched me a towel when I got out, and covered his eyes again as I wrapped it around me. Yoochun wasn’t so modest; he “leaned” against the doorjamb and watched me do these things , commenting on how soft and supple my skin looked, and how y I would look in lingerie. I guess he ran out of comments and taunts, and left after I accidentally dropped the towel around my feet, and Junsu hurried to hide behind his fingers. “I’m decent,” I called out once my grey cotton tank and Dickies pajama bottoms were on my body.

He peeked through his fingers. “Goody. And you look really pretty in grey and black.”

“Um, thanks, I guess.” I tossed the wet towel over in the corner and plopped onto my bed. He stood by my side and watched me meticulously braid my hair. He must have been standing for ten minutes before I finally spoke to him. “As long as you and Yoochun behave and don’t completely piss me off, I will let you guys, err…have some living company for a while.”

“Really?!” He looked very excited.

“Um, yeah.”

“YAY!” He ran to the door. It troubled me to not hear any footsteps. Remember, Erin: ghosts. They make no noise. “Yoochun, did you hear that? She decided to stay! We didn’t scare this one off! And she’s prettier than the last one!” He turned his head, beaming at me. I couldn’t help but giggle. He was ridiculously happy, all because I had chosen some ghosts over a different apartment. “So we have to be nice to her! Erin, you know how I can hold the loofah and flip through books and Yoochun can give you tissues? We had to practice for a few years, but we have it down. Now, maybe if we work hard enough, we can finally have a dance partner!” He clapped his hands.

Yoochun poked his head out of the kitchen. “Awesome. Su, make her dinner.”

Wow, was it dinner time already? The day had flown by quick. Once I crawled under the covers, Junsu and Yoochun lit some candles in the bathroom in case I had to pee in the middle of the night (which I was prone to do. They had paid attention the first few nights I was there). Junsu wanted to watch me sleep, and I told him it was fine, so long as he didn’t hover over me. Instead, he went by the window sill and stared outside until I decided I couldn’t sleep for . “Junsu?” I whispered.

He turned his head back. “Yes?”

“Um…can you do that manipulation thingie and play me a CD?”

His mouth formed a frown. “I could just sing for you.” Great, I had upset him.

“Sure, if you want.” I rolled over in bed, and gazed over at him. He was pacing around the room, thinking up a good song to lull me to sleep to. Once he finally picked one, he came over to my side and sat on the bed (really, there was no other way to describe the action). “Make sure you don’t sing too loudly or off-key,” I joked.

He ignored the jibe. “Okay.” He cleared his throat.

Each time I open my eyes,
I make sure you're by my side

The words I couldn't say back then overflow now...
It hurts...

What I didn’t see at the time was the strength of his gaze as I drifted off to sleep.


My dream was…pretty weird, to say the least. I think my apartment had something to do with it. Or maybe it was the Ouija board. Or maybe I was just another hormonal teenager desperate for that awesome first kiss. You know, the one first kiss that sends these powerful shockwaves through your body. The one that leaves you gasping for breath. The one that makes you think, “Wow, someone really wanted to kiss ME.” I think it was that last one, if anything. It would explain the following.

Junsu and I walked in a beautiful meadow. Springtime floated in the air. The flowers were just beginning to blossom. Furry creatures scurried across the luscious green grass. The great oak trees created a peaceful shade on the edge of the perfectly circular clearing. He loosely held my hand.

We stopped by this grouping of rocks and sat down. I leaned back, shut my lids, and allowed the sun to warm my skin. His hand was just as warm, and I didn’t like it when the heat left. It reappeared on my face. He was gently my lips. An odd gesture, huh? But it felt so…right. I can’t explain it. It was like he wanted to touch me. There was a slight pressure, and I opened my eyes. He was kissing me. His eyelids fluttered slightly, and he sighed. I thought he tasted faintly like a Reese’s cup. Yummy, it was. I had to kiss him back.

However, a slight interruption caused Junsu to disappear quickly.


It had to have been at least one in the morning when I heard a loud creak. Half asleep and still in the beautiful meadow, I ignored it and continued kissing him. When it grew louder, I finally jerked my eyes awake. Junsu stood right beside my bed, glaring at the door. Yoochun hovered in front of the door, as if blocking whatever was trying to come in. My first thought was an evil spirit, but I’m sure Junsu would be freaking out more. “What’s going on?”

Yoochun looked down at me before moving aside. His movement allowed the knob to turn all the way. Junsu hovered over me protectively. Since the room was completely dark, I couldn’t see anything save for a large silhouette. Then there came a loud thump. “Ow! Damn it! Stupid bed!”

I stared up into darkness. “Jaejoong?”

“Erin! Crap, where are you! I can’t see...”

“Follow my voice.” I was torn between amusement and horror. If my parents ever found out where I was…Then it dawned on me. Jaejoong was in my apartment. I scowled up at what could only be his pale face. “How’d you know where to find me?! , you weren’t supposed to find me for a while, Jae!” He came closer, and Junsu whimpered. He was scared. I thew him a single glance, indicating everything was fine, before I glared upwards. “Jaejoong, go home. Don’t tell my parents where I am, alright?”

Even in the darkness, I could tell he was grinning. “Heck, no. I am not going anywhere. Your grandma told me where to find you. I can’t just turn around now. What are you staring at?”

I had been giving Junsu a wary eye. The way he stood over me…he looked about ready to punch Jae. I quickly looked at the tall, androgynous silhouette in front of me. “Nothing. It’s nothing at all. Nana told you I was here, didn’t she? Grr, I told her not to tell anyone, especially you! I saw the interviews, Jae!” I played with my fingers nervously. “I didn’t like seeing you all sad and depressed like that, so I didn’t contact you.”

He bent down and embraced me. I heard both men let out startled gasps. “It’s me, Erin. Your Boojae. You don’t know how scared I was for you. Christ, when you suddenly take off from your house…we all thought you had gotten kidnapped! But then I figured you wouldn’t let anyone get the drop on you. I knew you had run away.” He shook my shoulders. “What were you thinking, not telling me? I would have run with you! I would give you the world, if I could! Don’t you know that?”

I was speechless. Above my head, Junsu seemed to not be breathing. Okay, he didn’t need to breathe, but he did anyway. He was waiting for my reaction, and I didn’t exactly have one. Jaejoong didn’t exactly let me say anything in the first place, because he then pressed his lips very hard against mine. I froze, my entire nervous system concentrating on my lips, which suddenly felt like they were on fire. They tingled. He obviously knew how to kiss; when I didn’t respond to him, he tilted his head, moaned, and ran his tongue along my lips.

Talk about intense moments. Jaejoong and I were on the verge of making out, Yoochun stoof laughing his off, and Junsu had completely left the room. Didn’t Jae see or hear any of this? When Yoochun yelled loudly, “You have to wrap your tongue around his for the full effect!” I realized that he couldn’t hear him. That was weird. Was I the only one able to see them? When Changmin had been here, they weren’t in sight, so maybe only I could see them. Very odd, very odd.

And what was Junsu’s problem? The boy had outright walked out! Was he disgusted by these human actions? Was he repulsed by Jae’s mad kissing skills? I admit I was a little biased, being the one who was currently probing his mouth with my tongue. He tasted like sweet wine, almost a chardonnay…

Hold on.

My dream. The meadow. I thought it was a figment of my imagination, my hormones.

But could it have been a manipulation of my mind when the walls were down?

...Was Junsu jealous?