18

Haunted

When I stepped inside my home, I was greeted by a 'Welcome Home' banner hanging in the living room. I exchanged long, meaningful hugs with my family before proceeding upstairs to my room. It didn't seem to change at all as if no one ever went inside. Although my mom obviously had been in it considering that she read my diary. I still had yet to question her reasoning behind it. 

I stepped out onto my balcony and deeply inhaled. It felt so good breathing fresh air that wasn't the sterile hospital air I had been previously breathing. I leaned my weight on the railing and rested my head on my hands as I took in the scenery. The neighborhood was still the same, except that flowers were fully bloomed and lawns were a vibrant green. 

Directly across the way, I noticed someone was also out on their balcony. It was Baekhyun. I tilted my head as I studied him from afar. He was clearly staring right at me and although he was across the street, I could see sadness pouring out of his eyes. I guess it was completely understandable though. His girlfriend has completely no memory of who he is. 

Feeling bad about the whole situation, I awkwardly lifted my hand up and waved at him. He stifled out a laugh and waved back at me. I smiled at him before turning around and going back into my room. I collapsed onto my bed and inhaled the clean scent of laundry detergent lingering on the sheets. My bed was probably the thing I missed most after staying in a hospital bed for so long. I my side as I faced the frame on my nightstand. A picture of Baekhyun and myself was just sitting there, taunting me. His face was still rather unfamiliar to me, even though I had known him for my entire life. I sighed as I grabbed the frame and took the back off. There were numerous photos behind the one in the front. I browsed through the photos and I watched as we gradually got younger as I flipped through the photos. Clearly everything everyone had told me about Baekhyun was true. We did know each other for our entire lives, but for some reason I had no memory of him ever being in my life at all. I frowned and placed the photos back into the frame before setting it back on my nightstand.

It was so overwhelming trying to take in the fact that I couldn't remember anything about someone that I had apparently 'loved'. My mom told me that we knew absolutely everything about each other, but now I only had what she told me to go by. I figured it would probably be best to try and talk to Baekhyun in hopes that maybe it might help in retrieving any memory of him, even if the doctor specifically said not to. I risked going into another coma, but I was on medication, and it couldn't hurt to try. And I couldn't help but want to remember. Why would anyone not want to remember anything about the love of their life?

I glanced over at my phone. Baekhyun's number would have to be in it. As soon as I clicked the button on my phone, his face glowed as my wallpaper. I scrolled through my contacts and found his name adorned with a heart next to it. Would you mind coming over for a bit?, I texted him. I bit my lip as I waited for his reply and it came within a matter of seconds. Of course not, he said. I looked out my window to see him crossing the street with his hands in his pockets. In another matter of seconds, there was a knock on my door. "Come in," I said. Baekhyun walked in and awkwardly stood by my bed. "You can sit down, you know," I said with a light chuckle. 

"Sorry, I didn't want to make you uncomfortable," he said placing himself across from me. I took this time to actually get a good look at him since I didn't really have the chance to back at the hospital. His hair messily fell across his forehead and he was dressed in a simple t shirt and jeans. He looked a bit skinnier than he did in the pictures I had looked at and he seemed a bit tired. But overall, he was definitely attractive. "Hello?" he said, interrupting my thoughts. "Why are you looking at me like that?" 

"Am I not allowed to look at my boyfriend?" It felt strange calling him that, but I didn't really know what else to call him. 

His eyes perked up. "You consider me your boyfriend?" 

"Well, even if I can't remember now, I did at one point acknowledge you as that. And from what my mom told me, you seem like a nice guy, so why not?" 

"Your mom told you about me?" I nodded. "What did she say?" 

"She basically told me everything from birth, to you bullying me, to when our relationship started, and all the way up to before I slipped into a coma I guess." He nodded his head in understanding. "But did you really get in a fight with Yongguk for me?" 

"Yeah..." he said lifting his hair up. "I still have a scar from that fight," he said pointing to faint line on his forehead. "I broke his nose though and it didn't really heal correctly, so he has something to remember me by as well," he said with a chuckle. For some reason, I actually did have memory of seeing Yongguk with a bandage on his nose. I thought my mom was making the story up, but apparently it really did happen. 

"That was really sweet what you did..." I said shyly, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks. Even if I was still going to call him my boyfriend, it was going to take a while to get used to being in a relationship.

"It was worth it," he said with a shrug. A long silence fell over us as he looked at me with so much love in his eyes. I shifted uncomfortably under his stare. I wished I could love him the way he seemed to love me, but unfortunately love isn't that easy. 

"Baekhyun," I said finally meeting his eyes. "Are you sure you want to be with someone who hardly even knows who you are?" It felt horrible knowing that I couldn't so easily return the feelings he had for me. He patiently waited for my return, only to be reunited with someone that didn't even know who he was. 

He gently placed my hands in his own as he looked at me with his loving eyes. "I could never leave you," he said quietly, almost as if he was hurt by my question. "Even if you're never able to remember me, I'll always be here." He lifted his hand up to cup my cheek. "If making you fall back in love with me is what it takes to have you stay by my side, then that's exactly what I'm going to do." 

 

 

 

School's over! :D More time for updating! I hope you guys are enjoying it so far. There's not really much,pardon my language,  minding to do anymore. x] lol