01

Haunted

"Isn't it funny?" he said with a small smile on his face.

"What's funny?" I asked as I drew circles on his knee with my finger. It was midnight and we were sitting out on my front porch. Our neighborhood was peacefully quiet and not a single car was on the road. 

"Life," he said simply. I looked up from his knee to his face looking for some clarification. 

"Life? How so?" 

"Well, for one, take us for example. We absolutely despised each other when we were kids. I always picked on you and made you cry. You'd pathetically try to stand up for yourself, but you always ended up telling your mom on me and getting me in trouble. And look at us now," he said, grabbing my hand and giving it a light squeeze. This simple gesture sent jolts rushing through my veins. 

"It's not really that unrealistic though. We hated each other because we hated each other's gender. I thought boys were disgusting and you thought girls were weak and annoying. We just grew up. Everyone grows up."

"I suppose. You're still kind of weak and annoying though," he said with a smirk.

"And you're still disgusting," I scoffed.

"You don't always have to prove me wrong, you know," he said as his eyes twinkled down towards my own. Although his eyes were just a plain brown, I couldn't help but get lost in them every time I looked at them. After a while, he broke our eye contact and looked down at his watch and frowned. Like always, he stood up and said sadly, "I have to go."

"No," I said standing up and embracing him. "You don't have to go. Not now."

"Yes, now. This happens every time," he said as he wrapped his arms behind my waist. "You should know this by now."

"It's not fair," I said, burying my face into his chest.

"That's another reason why life is funny. It's never fair. Just when things seem to be going perfectly, life gets in the way and ruins everything."

"That's depressing," I said, frowning at him.

"That's life," he said as a smile crawled back onto his lips. We held our eye contact for a long moment before I noticed his eyes slowly traveled down to my lips. My frown quickly dissipated as our lips met in perfect bliss and my eyes slowly closed. His lips always melted me on the inside. They were so soothing and always lifted my mood; which was the exact reason he kissed me at this moment. He gently pulled away and whispered in my ear, "I have to go."

"Please don't go," I said grabbing his hand before he could walk away.

"Let go." I frantically shook my head. He chuckled. "You have to let me go." I knew more than anything that he wasn't referring to my grip on his hand. It was much deeper than that. I just refused to admit it. 

"I can't."

"No, it's not that you can't. You choose not to." I frowned as he pulled his hand out of my grip. He walked back over and gently kissed me again, causing my eyes to once again close. Although he pulled away, I refused to reopen my eyes because I knew when I did, he would be gone. But just as it happened every time; my eyes opened just in time to see the scene I wish I hadn't. As he was in the middle of crossing the street, a car violently struck him and his body lifelessly fell to the side of the road. The car quickly swerved around him and sped off. I screamed as loud as my vocal chords allowed me to and soon I was back in reality.

I shot up in my bed, panting and sweating. I glanced at my window and noticed that it was still dark out. I waited until my pulse died down before getting up and walking out to my balcony. I walked over to the edge and leaned on the railing. As I did every night after having the same dream, I stared out to the house directly in front of mine. More specifically: his room. He also had a balcony.

We would spend hours out on our balcony staring across at each other while talking on the phone. Sometimes we would even yell across to each other when we were feeling rambunctious, but it would always end quickly when our parents told us to shut up. My chest tightened as I saw his figure standing out on his balcony staring back at me. I rubbed my eyes and the figure was gone. I sighed and walked back into my room. I lay back down on my bed and fiddled with the bracelet on my wrist that I almost never took off. It was a friendship bracelet that we had got each other for Christmas back in middle school. We thought it was so cool that we got each other the same exact gift. I chuckled at the memory.

I lay down on my side and stared at the framed picture on my nightstand. It was of us of course. He had the same one on his very own nightstand. We took a new one almost every month, just to keep them up to date. Our parents started the routine for us, but we eventually picked it up on our own when we became closer. 

I grabbed my iPod off of my nightstand and placed my earphones in. I listened to the same song on repeat every night until I fell back asleep. It was his song. He used to sing it to me every night when I wouldn't be able to sleep because I was crying. One time it was because my dog died, and another time, it was because my boyfriend had dumped me. Over time, I grew so accustomed to him serenading me to sleep, that he had to sing me to sleep every night. His mom didn't enjoy him coming home late on school nights and she actually had him professionally record the song for me. He even played the piano and everything. Although nothing could ever compare to hearing his live voice every night, the recorded version came very close. 

I've repeated this routine for nearly 3 months. I looked at the clock. 12:00 AM it read. Scratch that. Exactly three months.

It's been exactly 3 months since Byun Baekhyun died.

 

 

Um. So I'm a liar. lol. I couldn't wait until I finished my other fic. I just had to get a chapter out for you guys. You are all so amazing T_T Almost 30 subscribers before I even put up the 1st chapter. Oh and don't worry too much about Baekhyun. He'll be appearing quite a lot. ;]