13

Haunted

Although Dr. Seo assured me that this Baekhyun was just a figment of my imagination, I couldn't help but feel extremely threatened. Unlike the night before, the white emptiness was replaced with a deep red abyss. Baekhyun was dressed in a completely black suit that fit him perfectly. I, on the other hand, was dressed in only my hospital gown, which was remarkably inadequate for the ironic coldness of the red room. 

"Well, it's just you and me here forever," Baekhyun said simply. 

I rubbed the sides of my arms in an attempt at warmth. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm sure I'll wake up any minute now."

Baekhyun laughed loudly before speaking. "Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll wake up soon. You've only been asleep for two weeks," he said with loads of sarcasm. 

"Two weeks? What are you talking about? I know time works differently in here, but it hasn't even been a minute."

"Time works exceedingly different here. Minutes and seconds don't exist in the mind. Many more dimensions exist in here than in the real world. All except for time, that is."

"How do I know that everything coming out your mind isn't just complete bull ? Prove it," I said crossing my arms and glowering at the boy. 

He shrugged his shoulders with a small smirk on his face. "As you wish, master," he said extending his arm out. He stared impatiently at me as I eyed him. "Although I may be a bit condescending here, I'm still a gentleman." I rolled my eyes and linked my arm with his. 

"Where exactly are we going? I thought you said nothing existed in here anymore."

"Well, they can't get rid of something you didn't create."

My brows furrowed. "What didn't I create?" 

"You'll see," he said frankly. 

We continued our trek through the red emptiness when a strange contraption caught my eye. "What's that?" I asked in curiosity. 

"This is where the information from your ears goes to." He pointed to another contraption a few feet away and said, "And that's where the information from your eyes goes." 

"How on earth did you find this?" I asked, still observing the exquisite contraptions.

"You'd be surprised at how much time I have in here when you're awake."

"I thought you said time didn't exist in here," I countered. 

He rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean. Now watch and listen." 

He pressed a few buttons on the contraptions as a screen was projected onto the red wall and sound was coming out of the other contraption. Although the screen was black, I was able to hear voices. 

"She was doing so well. I don't know why she isn't waking up." I recognized the voice as the doctor's. 

"There has to be something you can do doctor." I immediately distinguished the voice as Baekhyun's. 

"I'm afraid there isn't much we can do. She's perfectly healthy; I don't know why she isn't waking up. It seems the problem lies in her brain. We're having a neurologist fly in next week, but until then we're just going to have to wait." 

"Is there a way I can see them?" I asked, turning to Baekhyun. 

He sighed. "There is. But I don't know..." 

"Just do it," I pressed. 

He sighed again as he pressed a button. A thin line of vision was seen on the projected screen. "That's as open as your eyes will get considering you're unconscious." 

My eyes widened and my mouth fell ajar as I caught sight of Baekhyun. He was a complete mess. Dark circles were extremely prominent under his eyes and he had lost so much weight that his cheeks seemed to sink in. It was almost exactly how I was when Baekhyun was in the hospital. My knees began to shake and I lost balance and fell to the floor. Baekhyun ran over in attempt to assist me, but I pushed him away.

"This is all your fault," I said quietly. 

"Actually, this is yo-" He stopped speaking when a sob escaped my lips. "Oh god, please don't cry." As evil as I thought this Baekhyun was, it seemed as though he still had a soft spot. 

"Will you please just let me wake up?" I said with another sob. 

He stood up and looked to the ground. "I'm afraid that can't happen..." 

"What?" I said with hostility dripping from my voice 

"I don't really know how to explain this to you... But I basically destroyed the gene that allows you to wake up." 

I gawked at him. "I'm never going to wake up. They're going to eventually have to pull me off of life support and kill me," I said to myself. 

"Yup." His sympathetic facade disappeared in an instant. He walked over and whispered in my ear, "Till death do us part."